Weekly Rest Crackdown? [Merged]

gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers
From 1 November 2017, DVSA will start to fine drivers up to £300 if they spend their full weekly rest break in their vehicle in places where it causes a problem. For example, if a lorry driver spends their full break in the cab of their lorry in a layby.

I think there are a few threads on this already
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150396

Andrejs:
Follow new rulle after november 2017 can still sleep in truck 45 +hours if this lay by not danger .From 1 November 2017, DVSA will start to fine drivers up to £300 if they spend their full weekly rest break in their vehicle in places where it causes a problem. For example, if a lorry driver spends their full break in the cab of their lorry in a layby.gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers

Rulle not show who in UK not legally taked full 45 hours everywhere,just not legal in place where it causes a problem

About bloody time if what you say is right, a sleeper cab by it’s very nature is for sleeping in.
Doing a driver for parking in a bloody stupid place is one thing, I can see the reason for that.
Putting a blanket ban on in cab weekend rests is just plain bloody silly.
Just because a few on here have grudges and problems with foreign drivers does not justify this bloody stupid rule.

robroy:

Andrejs:
Follow new rulle after november 2017 can still sleep in truck 45 +hours if this lay by not danger .From 1 November 2017, DVSA will start to fine drivers up to £300 if they spend their full weekly rest break in their vehicle in places where it causes a problem. For example, if a lorry driver spends their full break in the cab of their lorry in a layby.gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers

Rulle not show who in UK not legally taked full 45 hours everywhere,just not legal in place where it causes a problem

About bloody time if what you say is right, a sleeper cab by it’s very nature is for sleeping in.
Doing a driver for parking in a bloody stupid place is one thing, I can see the reason for that.
Putting a blanket ban on in cab weekend rests is just plain bloody silly.
Just because a few on here have grudges and problems with foreign drivers does not justify this bloody stupid rule.

Perhaps the UK authorities are taking a sensible approach over this?
That is you can stay in your cab, but you must have access to at least basic toilet and washing facilities. Just a shame there is a lack of those facilities, especially as it will probably mean many drivers coming to the UK for their weekly rest (that’ll have Winseer heading for his bunker :open_mouth: ) to avoid France, Belgium and Germany, which have far larger fines and are enforcing the latest interpretation of the weekly rest regulations.

Andrejs:

The sensible approach. Many EE drivers are on a pittance for a wage let alone any night out allowance. Trying to make them take weekly rest out of the cab just isnt financially practical for many of them. Fair enough if the truck is parked somewhere dangerous/ causing an obstruction then fair enough fine them but if not just leave them alone i say…

Re cab cooking smells, easily sorted, i just cook outside the cab. No room on the catwalk as always very close coupled so i just put the gas burner on the floor and on a windy day just use the cookers wind break.

I don’t have a problem with them sleeping in their cabs or parking on industrial estates but I do wish that they would realise that when the road is full parking on the other side is not an option. There are 3 plant hire companies on our estate and 2 of them work 7 days a week and we struggle to get there with EE trucks parked on both sides of the road,if you speak to them all you get is the shrugged shoulders and a refusal to move.

The FTA say that roadside ‘facilities’ need to be improved.Surely the idea is to schedule runs that get the driver home at least every other week for their ( two ) weekly rest period.Bearing in mind that the rule doesn’t apply to the reduced weekly rest. :unamused:

Why are 9 and 11 hour rest periods in a cab still legal?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bubsy06:

Whats wrong with 9hrs in the cab?

bubsy06:

Why?
Do you think they shouldn’t be for some reason?

AndrewG:

Andrejs:

The sensible approach. Many EE drivers are on a pittance for a wage let alone any night out allowance. Trying to make them take weekly rest out of the cab just isnt financially practical for many of them. Fair enough if the truck is parked somewhere dangerous/ causing an obstruction then fair enough fine them but if not just leave them alone i say…

surely it’s up to the operator to pay for the hotel B&B as they do for the parking area, which is why the French are fining operators not drivers?
East Europeans on a pittance wage is what has lead to this situation, they are working in countries for weeks on end earning far less than the local workforce, this means they cannot afford to use the local facilities, buy food locally etc, so are basically stuck sitting on a service area or industrial estate and as their bosses don’t have to pay the local wage rate they can undercut the local hauliers which means local drivers lose out on work, the other people who lose out are those who run truckstops, they see their client base reduced because Eastern European drivers don’t use the facilities and eventually they have to close with loss of jobs.

Look at Spain, I see more and more Spanish trailers being pulled by Romanian and Bulgarian units, surely this can’t be because of a lack of Spanish drivers, considering the unemployment rate in Spain.

robroy:

bubsy06:

Why?

45 hours is now illegal so why is 9 and 11 not. Daily rest is more important than weekly.

AndrewG:

bubsy06:

Whats wrong with 9hrs in the cab?

They want to go backwards.Be careful what they wish for with the ever increasing removal of parking facilities.Now with the worst of all worlds situation of tachos and eventually the guvnor shouting for the driver to get the day cabbed heap back to the yard or else and the TC waiting to get the driver for going a few minutes over and the driver lumbered with no options. :open_mouth: :laughing:

bubsy06:

robroy:

bubsy06:

Why?

45 hours is now illegal so why is 9 and 11 not. Daily rest is more important than weekly.

Because the regs say you can take a daily rest or reduced weekly rest in the truck, but doesn’t say you can take a full weekly rest in the cab and this isn’t being done for drivers, but due to pressure from various transport groups from France, Belgium and Germany.

And I sleep very well in a cab thank you, I have slept in hotels when on the road and found that it was often difficult to get a decent rest, especially if it was only a one night stay, a different bed every night, different room, sometimes too hot or too cold, or to much light getting in, sometimes the too much noise in the hotel or outside, you sort of get used to the truck night after night.

Same retarded logic that we do a 15 hour day and can have 9 hours rest, do a 13hour day and can have 11hours off.
And if scotland is short of fish the drivers hours can be extended by the goverment to keep the fish supplies coming.
And hgvs doing 41mph on a sc were a danger a few years ago but the goverment put the limit upto 50mph and 41mph is now safe.
Money talks.

muckles:

AndrewG:

Andrejs:

surely it’s up to the operator to pay for the hotel B&B as they do for the parking area, which is why the French are fining operators not drivers?
East Europeans on a pittance wage is what has lead to this situation, they are working in countries for weeks on end earning far less than the local workforce, this means they cannot afford to use the local facilities, buy food locally etc, so are basically stuck sitting on a service area or industrial estate and as their bosses don’t have to pay the local wage rate they can undercut the local hauliers which means local drivers lose out on work, the other people who lose out are those who run truckstops, they see their client base reduced because Eastern European drivers don’t use the facilities and eventually they have to close with loss of jobs.

Look at Spain, I see more and more Spanish trailers being pulled by Romanian and Bulgarian units, surely this can’t be because of a lack of Spanish drivers, considering the unemployment rate in Spain.

If they don’t want the single transport market then why don’t they just say so and get rid of it.Thereby stopping what is effectively a cabotage situation.The Germans and French etc are acting like total hypocrites in that regard.

While if it was about driver welfare the rule would be full weekly rest has to be taken at the drivers’ place of residence.With certain exceptions such as distances and/or other work involving more than an unavoidable two weeks away from base such as those involved in exhibition,concert and sports event type work.Or single journeys that can’t be completed within two full weekly rest periods.In which case does the rule,as it stands,also apply to AETR member states ?.