Very rare job perks

I was loading at Goodwood Festival of Speed today, and got a mini air show from a Spitfire. It was ace! Although I need to work on my telepathy skills, because despite willing the pilot to do some stunts, he did gentle circuits instead. :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
Iā€™ve been allowed to stay after probation period now and again :neutral_face:

Considering some of the companies youā€™ve work for, not sure if thatā€™s a perk or a punishment. :laughing:

Iā€™m parked up till Sunday in Hockenheim. :sunglasses:

slowlane:
I was loading at Goodwood Festival of Speed today, and got a mini air show from a Spitfire. It was ace! Although I need to work on my telepathy skills, because despite willing the pilot to do some stunts, he did gentle circuits instead. :laughing:

I delivered into Coningsby a few months back and a couple of Spitfires were bumbling round in the sky. Very nice whilst you are having fish and chips!

We occasionally deliver into RAF Shawbury, one of them sends me a pic of himself sitting in one of the Red Arrow planes.

sammym:
I think staying in a nice hotel is a real perk. My partner has a month in a fancy hotel for her job starting last night - and they are cooking her lovely food for breaky and dinner. Iā€™d love that. Iā€™m having to stay in my room and cook my own stuff. People who donā€™t think thatā€™s a perk need their head looking at.

It is honestly the most boring thing you can imagine, lived for 3 months solid in a hotel on a contract years ago, couldnā€™t wait for it to end.

del trotter:

sammym:
I think staying in a nice hotel is a real perk. My partner has a month in a fancy hotel for her job starting last night - and they are cooking her lovely food for breaky and dinner. Iā€™d love that. Iā€™m having to stay in my room and cook my own stuff. People who donā€™t think thatā€™s a perk need their head looking at.

It is honestly the most boring thing you can imagine, lived for 3 months solid in a hotel on a contract years ago, couldnā€™t wait for it to end.

Agree. Itā€™s nice to start but the novelty wears thin. I spent five years in the same few hotels in Gent, La Louviere, Amiens, Brive, Lyon, Barcelona and just outside Milan. Even with all the variety it still wears thin.

On perks occasionally I get a drop to a chap who has loads of Euro pallets, Iā€™m talking full artic loads. He wants rid and loads them on for me. Heā€™s happy and Iā€™m happy when I get rid of them for him lol

albion:
One of our lads had to take some kit for a trial in a van down to Taranto by the ā€˜heelā€™ of Italy, goods had to be there Monday morning and collected Weds afternoon, so may as well stay down there. Being in a van he couldnā€™t sleep in it, so the poor bar steward had to make do with a hotel, with a swimming pool and expenses.

I never get anything like that. :cry:

Thats terrible, some employers ehā€¦ :wink:
The only perk we get is 60eur if we change our own trailer wheels without calling a professional out to do it for usā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

AndrewG:

albion:
One of our lads had to take some kit for a trial in a van down to Taranto by the ā€˜heelā€™ of Italy, goods had to be there Monday morning and collected Weds afternoon, so may as well stay down there. Being in a van he couldnā€™t sleep in it, so the poor bar steward had to make do with a hotel, with a swimming pool and expenses.

I never get anything like that. :cry:

Thats terrible, some employers ehā€¦ :wink:
The only perk we get is 60eur if we change our own trailer wheels without calling a professional out to do it for usā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel that may be a policy that AndrewG Int will be reviewing :wink:

May I suggest a tool to help with removing stubborn bolts and nuts with ease? I suppose it hadnā€™t been invented in day when people drove F-sevens on international work but nowadays this can be had for less than a hundred ā‚¬ in every truckstop in Europe. Even the spanish ones.

albion:

slowlane:

I delivered into Coningsby a few months back and a couple of Spitfires were bumbling round in the sky. Very nice whilst you are having fish and chips!

We occasionally deliver into RAF Shawbury, one of them sends me a pic of himself sitting in one of the Red Arrow planes.

I was loading at Coningsby a while back and was told Iā€™d have to wait a while, it was no hardship , I saw a couple of Typhoonā€™s take off but the best bit was being about 100ft from the Lancaster doing a full power engine test (unbelievable glorious noise!) followed by watching it taxi and then take off.

A truly remarkable machine - even compared to the Typhoon - given it was designed primarily by one man (Roy Chadwick).

albion:
Sammy, tell me truthfully, Edgbaston or Taranto Italy? :wink: Catch the boss on a good day and you could take she who is in charge, with youā€¦

Ah but has Taranto got the wonderful canon hill park? Nothing beats that [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arthurhucksake:

albion:

slowlane:

I was loading at Coningsby a while back and was told Iā€™d have to wait a while, it was no hardship , I saw a couple of Typhoonā€™s take off but the best bit was being about 100ft from the Lancaster doing a full power engine test (unbelievable glorious noise!) followed by watching it taxi and then take off.

A truly remarkable machine - even compared to the Typhoon - given it was designed primarily by one man (Roy Chadwick).

I passed the Lancaster the same day, she was just sitting there. Iā€™m really not interested in aviation but those old planes, their history, it definitely gets to you. Modern planes just donā€™t have the same feel to them, like modern trucks donā€™t have the same personality.

IronEddie:

albion:
Sammy, tell me truthfully, Edgbaston or Taranto Italy? :wink: Catch the boss on a good day and you could take she who is in charge, with youā€¦

Ah but has Taranto got the wonderful canon hill park? Nothing beats that [emoji23]

You got me there Eddie :laughing:

thats the bomb bay of a vulcan bomber. After she displayed at Newcastle air show a few years ago the local radio station ran a competition for tickets to go on an underwing tour the next morning at Belfast International airport . As I was parked up at the time I rang the number and got a set of tickets .
Perk - maybe/ maybe not but Iā€™d never have rang if I hadnā€™t been parked up at the time .

beefy4605:
thats the bomb bay of a vulcan bomber. After she displayed at Newcastle air show a few years ago the local radio station ran a competition for tickets to go on an underwing tour the next morning at Belfast International airport . As I was parked up at the time I rang the number and got a set of tickets .
Perk - maybe/ maybe not but Iā€™d never have rang if I hadnā€™t been parked up at the time .

Iā€™d mentioned previously that weā€™d been stuck at Doncaster airport for an extra 24 hours on a job and a perk was that we got to go and visit the Vulcan in its hangar, really interesting talk. Didnā€™t have the bomb bay open though :cry:

Another perk is that Iā€™ve sat in the pilots seat of an Antonov - basically itā€™s held together with gaffer tape :open_mouth: , Iā€™d be too scared to go up in itā€¦that and the crew were mostly ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  all the time, probably couldnā€™t fly it when sober!

Collecting at Coca Cola Milton Keynes a few weeks back, as I signed the paperwork the girl said ā€œhelp yourself to thoseā€ pointing at some cans of drink. So I bagged a free can of Monster. As thatā€™s the only can of Monster Iā€™ve ever bagged for free, I consider it a very rare perk.

My sister was an accountant and she got some fairly good ā€˜perksā€™. The best was when she was winding up a company that leased out shipping containers. They had offices in Hong Kong so she was sent out there for a month. They put her in a very nice and very expensive hotel, so when she discovered that the company she was winding up owned an apartment in an exclusive block, she was allowed to move in there for the last three weeks.

The torque multiplier,pictured by milodon,is indeed a useful piece of kit and could well have saved AndrewG a bit of pain.When I worked as a fitter in Belgium we had one but we managed to split the casing.My only mishap with an extension bar removing a wheel resulted in 8 stitches in my shin.My young son told his mother that daddy had been swearing.Unlike Andrew,as a rugby player of many years,I figure that a crack to my head would have little effect.

Crisps, and porridge oats is my perk regularly.

Boxes get damaged, yet the bags inside are fine but the RDCā€™s still refuse themā€¦

What you donā€™t take, goes for landfill or pig feed they sayā€¦

albion:

IronEddie:

albion:

You got me there Eddie :laughing:

Used to live not far from Taranto and visited the place a few times or drove past it on the way to somewhere else.

I didnā€™t find it that crash-hot tbh - the beaches nearby arenā€™t too bad though. The oil refineries give off heady fumes amongst the rusting steelwork of abandoned factories. Itā€™s like Billingham with palms and pizza but itā€™s not all bad of course - some of the better bits are like Basingstoke.