Vehicle Walkround checks and Defect reporting

AaronR:
But if there is no damage or defects do you still hand the sheet in every day?

And what about trailers?

every week and keep the copy, there are normally about 30 duplicate pages, and the defect sheet should have a check list of motor and trailer.

rhaonline.co.uk/product.php?id=184

Wheel Nut:
Nil defect books for every vehicle, not every driver and then you can prove or disprove a defect has just happened and the inplace system works, a lorry with a defect book with bald tyres showing for a week will get further questions asked I am sure.

agree with Wheel Nut.
i drive the same truck, 99.9% of the time, but the daily defect sheets i fill out, are in a book, relevant, to, the truck i’m driving on any given day. at the end of the week, the relevant sheets, i’ve filled in, and removed, from said book, are handed in with my timesheets, tacho’s, receipts, etc.
i also do these daily checks, as the tacho/card goes in, at start of shift, and we are given, 15 mins to do this, so, as its getting to that time of the year, keep a torch handy, in case you get a tug, off of v.o.s.a :wink:

We fill in a defect sheet when we take over the unit and trailer and then for each subsequent trailer. Each page can be used for one unit and three trailers and can be used for a whole week if you don’t exceed that number of trailers. We mark each day to show we have checked it even if there are no defects and the sheet goes in at the end of the week, unless there is a defect when it goes in there and then.

chilistrucker:

Wheel Nut:
Nil defect books for every vehicle, not every driver and then you can prove or disprove a defect has just happened and the inplace system works, a lorry with a defect book with bald tyres showing for a week will get further questions asked I am sure.

agree with Wheel Nut.
keep a torch handy, in case you get a tug, off of v.o.s.a :wink:

So they’re into blue lights now then? :open_mouth:

I drive one of those nasty foreign plated trucks so im not bothered too much what vosa think, however just to show willing I put the tacho on to other work every morning while i waiting for the kettle to boil.

Working for different companies on a daily basis, I see a lot of different systems from the "dotting the i’s " to the “who cares?” I always cover my backside by allowing my tacho to show a period of other work before driving, fill in any book or defect sheet required, and point out any new looking damage to the T O or shunter before I go anywhere. If there is no form or defect book, recording time on your tacho is a good way of showing that you did the checks.
It surprises me that nowadays with VOSA being more vigilent, that some drivers still don’yt perform full pre drive checks. I’m paid b y the hour so why rush? I need to keep my licence clean or as clean as possible, and I don’t need the agro from messrs Vosa etc.

I do my check every day & hand the defect sheet in to show that this has been done as if we dont the boss dont like it so my digi card goes in straight away then the coffee then the checks

Hombre:
I drive one of those nasty foreign plated trucks so im not bothered too much what vosa think, however just to show willing I put the tacho on to other work every morning while i waiting for the kettle to boil.

I think you will find the reason VOSA do what they do is that they are following the French example.

These clever machines did the defect report for you although we didn’t use them to their full potential.

But then again, walk round checks are the reason cafe and croissants are so popular :stuck_out_tongue:

our truck have defect books in them but only to be used if there is an actual defect , as they’re too expensive to keep buying ,but our daily sheets does have a ‘daily check & defect’ section at the bottom . i give myself 10-15 minutes on the card to do my checks, get me a coffee before any wheels start turning
although i still see some drivers just turn up, tacho in & go which does nark me off somewhat

We have defect books (from the RHA) and defect sheets in all our vehicles. I designed the defect sheets which are filled in at the begining of the driver’s shift. If no defects are found then only the sheet needs to be filled in but if a defect is found the driver fills in a slip in the book and hands them in. The defect sheets have space for four days worth of checks and the completed sheets get handed in at the end of the week.

Ive just dtarted a new job on days and for a change i drive the same unit every day,i do a check at the start and tick off the relevent checks and then tick no defects box.

I put the start mileage on mine, do checks (noting any defects if any) but leave book blank until the afternoon so any problems arising during the day can be noted and sent to office (daily with tickets) instead of another 24 hours to put on next days report.

One a Shift.
With vosa is it easy.If they find anything you are (edited) and if they find nothing than is nothing.
They don’t care if you do a Sheet.just the Vehicle has to be free of Defect.Even if you have the Defect Sheet with no Defect on it and Vosa finds anything you are (edited)

Lovlyperson:
One a Shift.
With vosa is it easy.If they find anything you are (edited) and if they find nothing than is nothing.
They don’t care if you do a Sheet.just the Vehicle has to be free of Defect.Even if you have the Defect Sheet with no Defect on it and Vosa finds anything you are (edited)

Do not be so sure about VOSA not caring :stuck_out_tongue:

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … lities.htm