Undertaking.

yourhavingalarf:

jakethesnake:
It works in the USA because they have always driven that way and their roads are far less congested.

I suggest…

You take a look at traffic in and around Dallas/LA/Chicago/Miami/Las Vegas/Salt Lake City during the rush hour…all six lanes full of traffiic. Traffic that passes in any lane at varying speeds and has done so for decades. Your argument just doesn’t add up.

I’m sure there are better suggestions for really busy highways in the states and if someone from over the pond wanted to illustrate them here, feel free.

I have driven in the States on many occasions.I can assure you it will never happen here 100% because of the reasons mentioned previously.
Please tell me who you think would benefit from that system over here.Your answer may explain why it won’t ever happen here.
Also explain the difference on entering and leaving a motorway here compared to the USA because there is a big one! :unamused:

jakethesnake:
Also explain the difference on entering and leaving a motorway here compared to the USA because there is a big one! :unamused:

Well ive never driven in the states and youve peaked my interest. What is it?

The-Snowman:

jakethesnake:

Well ive never driven in the states and youve peaked my interest. What is it?

I am hoping ‘yourhavinalarf’ will answer that one as he seems to think we should have the same system in this country but if he does not get back soon I will give you an answer!
Sorry to keep you in suspence, :slight_smile:

We have it here in Oz. Most of us handle it all right. It’s just that you seem to have more cretins there than we’ve got here.

jakethesnake:
I have driven in the States on many occasions.I can assure you it will never happen here 100% because of the reasons mentioned previously.
Please tell me who you think would benefit from that system over here.Your answer may explain why it won’t ever happen here.

I have…

Absolutely no idea of the differences entering and leaving freeways and motorways. I Googled it and the word ‘yield’ kept appearing in driver education and other helpful ‘driving in the USA’ guides. It never made one iota of difference to my progress in the states or to the police cars that have been in front or behind me whenever I’ve bimbled on or off at my exit over there.

Back to topic and I’m tired of this. I agree it will never be implemented here because we’re just backwards in going forwards with new ideas. I disagree with you that it’s ‘crazy’, it isn’t.

Carryfast:
There are a few flaws in the idea especially in the case of traffic having to make a lane change from lane 2 to lane 1 for an exit or left turn ahead and being stopped by lots of undertaking traffic.

On balance it would probably be safer to raise the limiter setting to 60 mph and increase the speed limit to 60 mph for trucks in lane 2 while keeping it 90 kmh in lane 1 and 85 mph for cars in lane 3 of motorways for example.While then increasing the penalties massively for undertaking and lane hogging enforced by unmarked police patrols then everyone knows where they stand while in large part removing the causes of undertaking. :bulb:

The speed limit is already 60mph on motorways for HGVs the EU limit is 90kph which is what limiters are set to to then comply with the percentage variation allowed .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

like life in general today then standards just decline day by day.
years ago was different with truck drivers in general,nowadays with boring trucks,jobs,limiters,limpers paid by the hour,and the brain dead newer breed of stobart type lemmings,then an empty lane now is the one il use all the time,though usually il have a good bit of abve limiter speed t make sure im not elephant racing up the inside.
a quick squirt,then il obviously be in position to have definite priority in my lane,then batter on.
similar to the cameradrie that prevailed,then that has disappeared now along with the expectation that the other truckies around you were switched on with skills similar to your own.
there is no police presence to enforce middle lane hoggers,so as driving standards lower,the lemmings that practice them multiply.

yourhavingalarf:

jakethesnake:

I have…

Absolutely no idea of the differences entering and leaving freeways and motorways. I Googled it and the word ‘yield’ kept appearing in driver education and other helpful ‘driving in the USA’ guides. It never made one iota of difference to my progress in the states or to the police cars that have been in front or behind me whenever I’ve bimbled on or off at my exit over there.

Back to topic and I’m tired of this. I agree it will never be implemented here because we’re just backwards in going forwards with new ideas. I disagree with you that it’s ‘crazy’, it isn’t.

Fair enough,we all have our own opinions.

grumpyken52:

Carryfast:
On balance it would probably be safer to raise the limiter setting to 60 mph and increase the speed limit to 60 mph for trucks in lane 2 while keeping it 90 kmh in lane 1 and 85 mph for cars in lane 3 of motorways for example.While then increasing the penalties massively for undertaking and lane hogging enforced by unmarked police patrols then everyone knows where they stand while in large part removing the causes of undertaking. :bulb:

The speed limit is already 60mph on motorways for HGVs the EU limit is 90kph which is what limiters are set to to then comply with the percentage variation allowed .

Exactly how does a limiter setting of 56 mph ‘comply’ with 60 mph + 10%. :confused: When surely 60 mph allowed only in lane 2 with a 65 mph limiter setting and tightening up the penalty regime regarding lane hogging,would fix the issues of slow moving traffic in lane 2 etc,a lot more safely than allowing undertaking in lane 1 would.

Just as 80 mph + 10 % allowed in lane 3 would.

Undertaking… is it legal? well its not illegal but can be dangerous. Never really done it in trucks except odd occasion when for outright safety reason you must do it as long as you KNOW what you can do. Nowadays I avoid it because us truckers although we love racing these elephants around must stay Professional :smiley:

In my car its a different story though, too many car drivers and a few van drivers take the ■■■■ by hogging lanes and or just dawdling around don’t pay attention to there driving or lane discipline enough because they don’t care and don’t stay alert. So sometimes I will undertake in my CAR safely and quickly 200bhp Ford Smax TDI, remap soon :laughing: because I don’t hang around and dawdle on the roads. Sorry but if your taking ■■■■ on the road and you creating a nuisance of your self you will get dealt with. Advanced defensive driving safely… Motorways and Dual Carriageways mainly. ADDS :laughing:

yourhavingalarf:

jakethesnake:
It works in the USA because they have always driven that way and their roads are far less congested.

I suggest…

You take a look at traffic in and around Dallas/LA/Chicago/Miami/Las Vegas/Salt Lake City during the rush hour…all six lanes full of traffiic. Traffic that passes in any lane at varying speeds and has done so for decades. Your argument just doesn’t add up.

I’m sure there are better suggestions for really busy highways in the states and if someone from over the pond wanted to illustrate them here, feel free.

Correct, what you have said.
I’m in Calgary and here we can drive and overtake in any lane in any vehicle, but also the speed limit is for everyone, not different speed limits for different vehicles, which makes it a lot easier.
100kph on the highway within the city limits and 110kph outside and 100kph on major 2 lane highways.
Most of these limits are exceeded by at least 10kph by drivers without a problem from the cops.