UK container haulage on the brink

Norfolkinclue1:

GasGas:
But the Brexiters are telling us that these ports can handle all the traffic that goes through Dover… :smiley:

Do [zb] off…you whining pathetic media fed little troll.
You haven’t got a clue, just the same old drivel at any opportunity, desperate for some forum oxygen.
The vote didn’t go your way, get over it and grow the [zb] up you miserable wretched little boy.
It’s getting tiresome having to read another remnant posting it’s bitter deluded drivel…

eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86882

:smiley:

The firm I used to work for had a substantial contract hauling goods from Milton Keynes for distribution in N Ireland. They did the long haul part to Belfast and then subbed it out to locals for the shop deliveries. Many shops needed tail lifts and had to be pre-booked, so it was not simple haulage.

They put in for a substantial rate increase because they were making no profit on the job, and lost the contract. A year later, we back there collecting loads again because the replacement had stuffed it up royally.

Hauliers need to be competitive, but they have to make a profit or go bust.

Rjan:

NoClass:

waddy640:
Some years ago I read a letter in one of the transport press from an operator who stated that he had done a job for one of his best customers but had made nothing out of it.

Did he mean worst customer?

Clearly his definition of “best customer” was “I make no profit on a load but hope to make it up on volume”. :laughing:

I suppose it’s the same logic used when Harold Shipman is described as “Britain’s worst serial killer” when he is quite clearly Britain’s best serial killer. :wink:

Rjan:

NoClass:

waddy640:
Some years ago I read a letter in one of the transport press from an operator who stated that he had done a job for one of his best customers but had made nothing out of it.

Did he mean worst customer?

Clearly his definition of “best customer” was “I make no profit on a load but hope to make it up on volume”. :laughing:

Surely if you make “nothing on a trip”, and then ‘hope to re-coup on volume’, then a thousand times nothing is still - nothing :confused:

On the brink? Bit dramatic. Fine, the volumes of exports have dropped off a cliff meaning there’s a ■■■■ ton of empties which we keep getting stuck with, driver shortage is a load of rubbish until we see wages go up. It’s not as easy as before but hardly on the brink of anything.

Winseer:
Surely if you make “nothing on a trip”, and then ‘hope to re-coup on volume’, then a thousand times nothing is still - nothing :confused:

Got me thinking of this Monty Python song. The video is kindof apt as some of the hauliers likely feel as if they are being crucified fron what I’m reading.

youtu.be/SJUhlRoBL8M

All together now… :slight_smile:

Ps: if theres loads of empty containers, I heard Travelodge were interested in turning them into hotels a couple of years ago.

trevHCS:

Winseer:

Got me thinking of this Monty Python song. The video is kindof apt as some of the hauliers likely feel as if they are being crucified fron what I’m reading.

youtu.be/SJUhlRoBL8M

All together now… :slight_smile:

Ps: if theres loads of empty containers, I heard Travelodge were interested in turning them into hotels a couple of years ago.

Was it really true?..
It used to be cheaper to manufacture a new container in China than send an empty one back there?
I know there were stories about that a few years back, how true were they?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Having spent a lifetime in the haulage industry at all levels , management / driver I continue to be amazed to observe the industry act like lemmings by purchasing t/units at around £180,000 each , you have driver’s demanding £12/15 per hour and finished work by lunch time Friday at the latest , I dread to think if ( I hope not ) there is any sort of even a slight downturn in the economy what the net result could be , I’ll leave the rest to your imagination !!! .

[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^
travelodge would take up too much room.
heres the jungle version but the japs beet the concept hands down.

youtube.com/watch?v=gNhBiw9pgUo

youtube.com/watch?v=ayfCwqWIHJY

shugg:
Having spent a lifetime in the haulage industry at all levels , management / driver I continue to be amazed to observe the industry act like lemmings by purchasing t/units at around £180,000 each , you have driver’s demanding £12/15 per hour and finished work by lunch time Friday at the latest , I dread to think if ( I hope not ) there is any sort of even a slight downturn in the economy what the net result could be , I’ll leave the rest to your imagination !!! .

£12 an hour is only the average hourly rate (for all jobs I mean, not for haulage). And I don’t know what haulage industry you have been in, talking about early finishes at lunchtime Friday as if that is representative (and assuming the person didn’t start in the very early hours to begin with).

shugg:
you have driver’s demanding £12/15 per hour and finished work by lunch time Friday at the latest .

I have this argument constantly with the bods in my traffic office, the same bods that do between 8 and 10 hours a day btw; do you not think that a driver who has started work on a Monday morning and has parked up on a Thursday night with a potential 58 hours already under his/her belt at the company bequest might not deserve an early finish on a Friday? At least the bloody Victorians offered their slaves a decent length of working day!

Rjan:

shugg:

£12 an hour is only the average hourly rate (for all jobs I mean, not for haulage). And I don’t know what haulage industry you have been in, talking about early finishes at lunchtime Friday as if that is representative (and assuming the person didn’t start in the very early hours to begin with).

It may just be me that after a lifetime in haulage and particularly in my part of the country ( central Scotland ) that tomorrow being Friday I’ll take take you past the yard of a very well known haulier and at lunch time most of the fleet is parked up for the weekend , as for £12 being the average !!! rate , dream on £9 is nearer the figure .

the maoster:

shugg:
you have driver’s demanding £12/15 per hour and finished work by lunch time Friday at the latest .

I have this argument constantly with the bods in my traffic office, the same bods that do between 8 and 10 hours a day btw; do you not think that a driver who has started work on a Monday morning and has parked up on a Thursday night with a potential 58 hours already under his/her belt at the company bequest might not deserve an early finish on a Friday? At least the bloody Victorians offered their slaves a decent length of working day!

Indeed, it was the Victorians that brought in a 12 hour day rule and it was the EU that dispensed with that!

shugg:
as for £12 being the average !!! rate , dream on £9 is nearer the figure .

Same in east Kent, where I lived before I moved onto the boat, and one of the many reasons I did move aboard is that I’m moored in the “golden triangle” where wages are considerably higher, for a complete doss of a container job I’m on £13 an hour PAYE which is one of the reasons I can afford to take half the year off.

Carryfast:

GasGas:
But the Brexiters are telling us that these ports can handle all the traffic that goes through Dover… :smiley:

Since when did Brexiteers ever confuse deep sea container traffic with cross channel ferry based Road Transport operations.Only remainers could dream that up.

As for the article.More like the long haul container traffic sector has been decimated by the shift from road to rail.Leaving the road transport sector with short haul work obviously involving loads of wasted time going no where and customers not being willing to pay for both the rail sector.With the road sector now needing to be costed by the hour not the mile because there’s no longer enough miles in the job to make it worthwhile otherwise.

Anyone who has costed by the mile is a muppet. Costs have always fallen into time and mileage components and one, (contained within maintenance) falls into both. You do periodic maintenance - inspections and services - whether the wheels turn or not.

Sand Fisher:

Carryfast:

GasGas:

Since when did Brexiteers ever confuse deep sea container traffic with cross channel ferry based Road Transport operations.Only remainers could dream that up.

As for the article.More like the long haul container traffic sector has been decimated by the shift from road to rail.Leaving the road transport sector with short haul work obviously involving loads of wasted time going no where and customers not being willing to pay for both the rail sector.With the road sector now needing to be costed by the hour not the mile because there’s no longer enough miles in the job to make it worthwhile otherwise.

Anyone who has costed by the mile is a muppet. Costs have always fallen into time and mileage components and one, (contained within maintenance) falls into both. You do periodic maintenance - inspections and services - whether the wheels turn or not.

These used to be known as running costs and standing costs which are self-explanatory.

att:

the maoster:

shugg:

Indeed, it was the Victorians that brought in a 12 hour day rule and it was the EU that dispensed with that!

In fairness they do have a max-48-hour-a-week rule, but the UK government fought for an opt-out. Just like it opted out of the agency worker regulations. And there’s nothing in the EU rules that prevents individual countries having stricter rules than the minimum, although admittedly there is only modest scope to do that individually without tariffs and capital controls.

Sand Fisher:

Carryfast:
the road sector now needing to be costed by the hour not the mile because there’s no longer enough miles in the job to make it worthwhile otherwise.

Yes you have fixed ‘costs’.But revenues can only be earn’t in the form of miles including the revenues earn’t to pay for the fixed costs.Unless you’ve got a customer who is happy to pay by the hour for all the time the truck is sitting going nowhere to meet the government’s aims of minimising the mileage travelled by trucks.When in the real world we know that all costs are factored into the mileage rate.No miles no revenue.Which if I’ve read it right is what everyone is moaning about.IE customers won’t pay by the hour for a truck to be sitting going no where.Who would have thought it.

Rjan:

att:

the maoster:

shugg:

In fairness they do have a max-48-hour-a-week rule, but the UK government fought for an opt-out. Just like it opted out of the agency worker regulations. And there’s nothing in the EU rules that prevents individual countries having stricter rules than the minimum, although admittedly there is only modest scope to do that individually without tariffs and capital controls.

Strange how the EU provides ‘opt outs’,if not legalised running employees to the point of exhaustion,regarding hours to suit employers but not regarding flat rate VAT tax requirements in which the poorest have to pay the same rate as the richest.However we know it must be good for us because the Tories always said so.

Carryfast:

Sand Fisher:

Carryfast:
the road sector now needing to be costed by the hour not the mile because there’s no longer enough miles in the job to make it worthwhile otherwise.

Yes you have fixed ‘costs’.But revenues can only be earn’t in the form of miles including the revenues earn’t to pay for the fixed costs.Unless you’ve got a customer who is happy to pay by the hour for all the time the truck is sitting going nowhere to meet the government’s aims of minimising the mileage travelled by trucks.When in the real world we know that all costs are factored into the mileage rate.No miles no revenue.Which if I’ve read it right is what everyone is moaning about.IE customers won’t pay by the hour for a truck to be sitting going no where.Who would have thought it.

Some local work may be only a mile or so from the collection/delivery point. The haulier is not going to be paid a couple of quid for the mileage. Most container haulage rates are defined by a ‘local’ rate that extends to a certain pre-defined radius.
The real issue for container hauliers is the battle to be productive and therefore profitable in the face of bottlenecks at railheads and ports etc. This is a real issue, and has been for years. As wages rise, it will become a bigger issue for hauliers, as rates are not moving.