True cost of Driving class one for a living?

Batmann:
How much is it to gain a PPL for a single prop Cessna in comparison?

So about £6,500-7,000 invested in my licence.

Id put roughly the same value on my driving licences. A PPL will cost you roughly £6-8k depending on where you do it…

Batmann:

Mine is roughly as follows:

Car Lessons 48225 = £2,400 Third Time Lucky Tests were £40 each and provisional was £15. With theory being £30. = Circa. £2,600

Class 2. Third Time Lucky again. All in around 7 days of tuition etc. £1,500.

Class 1. Fourth Time Lucky. Failed once on crunching a gear, another crossing a white line etc. Super strict and no tolerances whatsoever. All in about ten days tuition. Plus extras. £2250.

Got the motorbike also. First time lucky. about £450 all in. So about £6,500-7,000 invested in my licence.

got to give batmann his due’s he aint a quitter :slight_smile:

big boots:

Batmann:

Mine is roughly as follows:

Car Lessons 48225 = £2,400 Third Time Lucky Tests were £40 each and provisional was £15. With theory being £30. = Circa. £2,600

Class 2. Third Time Lucky again. All in around 7 days of tuition etc. £1,500.

Class 1. Fourth Time Lucky. Failed once on crunching a gear, another crossing a white line etc. Super strict and no tolerances whatsoever. All in about ten days tuition. Plus extras. £2250.

Got the motorbike also. First time lucky. about £450 all in. So about £6,500-7,000 invested in my licence.

got to give batmann his due’s he aint a quitter :slight_smile:

There’s always a bit of history with these scenarios!!

Those intensive courses never really worked for me! By the test day I was typically ■■■■■■ and wasn’t too arsed about the test considering I don’t drive much or far that often.

The instructor that I did six tests with was pretty ■■■■ to be honest. I only passed once with him in the Rigid and to be honest that was my worst drive ever! I changed instructor for the fourth Class 1 test who gave me a couple hours here and there over a week to break it down a bit before the test, this helped loads as the other guy would only block book days and drove you hard all day every day for the tuition, most of it was around town which I was good at anyway. The second instructor’s vehicle was also much better quality than the previous instructor’s.

The car situation was tricky, instructor changed car a week before my test, going from a Micra to a C3 was big change with variable steering etc. Second time, examiner made me to an emergency stop 100yards after one of those cheap resurfacing jobs where they put gravel down, one of the wheels locked up despite having ABS… third time did it my own car which I passed in with two minors in the rain. In between all this I had got caught up in a nasty crash as a passenger where I lost all confidence so I had several lessons to regain confidence before going back in test. etc. loads of stupid stuff like that made it pretty difficult to actually make progress. I could carry on…!

This was all spread out over a ten year period…

NewLad:

TTX boy:
what about everyday costs ■■? most people in normal jobs eat their evening meal and breakfast at home,truck drivers away all week have to eat out twice a day, that’s got to be £10 per day,easy.

I think of it like this, most workers have to look at the same boring scene, out of the same boring window, the same boring faces of their colleagues. I came over Woodhead Pass this morning on my way back from Warrington, just as the sun was rising, that view was priceless! To top it off I got paid for it!

i agree the views are priceless which is why i left my well paid job several years ago to get away from those same 4 walls day in day out. Today i drove around brussels ring road, down the a27 outta belguim passing Spa on my right hand side. Merging onto the a60 into Germany through the forests with great views off top of the bridges. Swung round onto th a1 then the a62 passing hockenhiem and onto the a8 into a little town just outside stuttgart. the scenery was amazing but i dint get a sunrise. I liked the woodhead pass tho when running to glossop :slight_smile:

What about mechanic how much does a cabinet full of snap on gear cost?
More than 5k i recon.

need to factor in the cost of a divorce

It seems to be getting pricey now. Lots of mention of figures in region of 3k plus. Cat C was 580 when I did it 2002, plus test fee plus provisional entitlement then the test for theory (£35?). Prob about 650-700. I was lucky to get CE paid for by agency. The wages don’t seem to have inflated inline with the cost of training. I think the old company I used to drive for offers a day rate of 90 quid as opposed to the 80 quid I was on ten years ago.

hitch:
need to factor in the cost of a divorce

,not seeing your family grow up
deafness in left ear,arthritis in hands/ lower back,piles, diabetis 2 and heart attacks brought on by a sedimentary lifestyle and for others that smoke lung cancer.
hard but i think a fair assesment of friends after 30yrs +in the business.
jimmy.