TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Now for my “arty” scenery snaps. Same crap camera and photographer :blush: :blush: :wink:

Not my thing but here goes:

This first one is the glacier on the Italian side of the “Blanc.”

These next two are the San Bernardino in Switzerland

This next one is the view from the Brenner toll bridge in Austria.

Now here’s three taken on “the steps” of Mont Cenis:
This first one shows a “proper” hairpin bend :wink:

This one shows that there was an awful lot going on in a very short distance
The view is almost straight downwards :open_mouth: :

In this one, I’ve given way to let this truck climb.
It’s a shame, but the camera doesn’t give much idea as to the gradient.
The clue is to compare how high I am against the other truck, with the very short distance between us.

:blush: :blush: Sorry about the quality of the snaps :blush: :blush:

bestbooties I knew somebody would have heard of Promotor. I also knew that they went to all kinds of far-flung places. I even had their phone number at one time, but I never did give them a ring. Too late now- another good outfit swallowed-up in the name of progress. You did well to only have one blow-out with a well-freighted step-frame in that heat. The furthest I went in that direction was Belgrade :wink: :blush:

some more firms i remember seeing in the 80,s were pete harding usually pulling an edmund depare tilt im sure they were from the tamworth area as id often see a couple parked at mile oak where the merc car dealer is know. also id see peter roffs f12s and 142,s there.i remember seeing a roffy f12 globetrotter parked outside the wheelhouse in dover and it were gleaming.also rokold had some tidy motors,what happened to them

how about some of the european lads on here having a wander and taking pic’s of modern day uk trucks waitng for the ferries or the train.

in years to come it would be interesting … well even now it would be good to see them.

jessicas dad:
how about some of the european lads on here having a wander and taking pic’s of modern day uk trucks waitng for the ferries or the train.

in years to come it would be interesting … well even now it would be good to see them.

i really kick myself that i never did what ash and the bloke in america did - take endless photos back then - too frightened of missing something in the wheelhouse i dare say :frowning:

but these days it’s all foreigners and very few decent liveries from anywhere, as somebody else said it’s the age of the plain white unit with stickers on the door :cry:

Top site carl, found one of my old trucks on there, :laughing: page 3,pic GB-175, a DAF 95, reg E55 WKJ…dont know who`s driving it in the picture, I was the second driver to have it and im sure that chap wasnt the first!!

Some seriously good looking trucks on there…to be honest put those up against the trucks of today and todays one`s just dont look anywhere near the part!!!

Those trucks (and trailers) look like proper, long distance, international set ups!! :wink:

bullitt.

Carl

Nice to see the photos of Alan Taylors trucks. I think he used to have a Mack also. I used to know Alan fairly well as we both did traction for GBE and he bought my Globetrotter from me ( HNH 350 Y ) when I bought a Pegasso Troner which was in GBE,s colours, any photos of my old Globetrotter ? ,I did see it about 7 years ago going around Rennes painted orange.

Aaah Prato TIR park, spent a good few weekends there !! Glad to see you never managed to get any of those strange guys driving around with their interior lights on in your photo :wink:

Can anyone here remember parking around the square in Prato ■■ And was it Victors in Prato ■■

Carl:
some more firms i remember seeing in the 80,s were pete harding usually pulling an edmund depare tilt im sure they were from the tamworth area as id often see a couple parked at mile oak where the merc car dealer is know. also id see peter roffs f12s and 142,s there.i remember seeing a roffy f12 globetrotter parked outside the wheelhouse in dover and it were gleaming.also rokold had some tidy motors,what happened to them

Rokold was swallowed up by Wincanton,used to see some of the Rokold boys driving DAF ssc’s in Wincanton colours,but then they all disappeared.

mikey1 It was Bruno’s in the station square in Prato. Al Fresco meals out on the terrace that would go on for hours & only cost a fiver. And still some rogues left without paying. Step forward Billy Pilgrim who let his bill run up for nearly a week then shipped out & never returned.

kerbut if you look in the pics forum ive put quite a few pics there under the topic a s taylor theres a pic of the mack there mate :wink:

mikey1:
Can anyone here remember parking around the square in Prato ■■ And was it Victors in Prato ■■

Yes to both Mikey1. The Station square was a roundabout and we used to park in two rows. One lot was parked tight to the roundabout and the other lot were parked at the kerb around the outside. There was a little bar in the corner of the square and IIRC, there was a river nearby. There was a lorry ban, which came later so that put a stop to us parking there.

Victor’s was a nice little eatery on the road from Prato to Florence. Victor was some kind of singer (opera I think) and there were pictures of Victor on the walls, which were taken when he met the Pope. Victor spoke very good English and the food was spot-on. I forget how many times I loaded at Euro Express opposite the large fruit stall on the same road. Not far from there was UGC, the scene of my first ever Italian reload. Happy days.

harry:
mikey1 It was Bruno’s in the station square in Prato. Al Fresco meals out on the terrace that would go on for hours & only cost a fiver.

Thanks for that harry. I posted a reply to mikey1, but I’d forgotten the name “Bruno.” I’d called it a little bar. If you read that post, I was a regular in Victors, so not much chance of me cocking that one up :wink:

harry:
And still some rogues left without paying. Step forward Billy Pilgrim who let his bill run up for nearly a week then shipped out & never returned.

What can you say about this kind of people- words fail me :smiling_imp:

jessicas dad:

i agree with that would be nice to see who is still at it apart from the obvious like em rodgers,denby and bj waters.

dieseldave:

mikey1:

Yes to both Mikey1. The Station square was a roundabout and we used to park in two rows. One lot was parked tight to the roundabout and the other lot were parked at the kerb around the outside.

The few times I parked there in the '70’s,you didn’t park too near the public urinal as the queer boys were in and out all night and you couldn’t get much kip!

Here is a lovely shot of one of Geoff Gilbert’s motors, always turned out smart and looking the part of a tidy run fleet, Buzzer.

46068193_10210048109037910_2105548308876361728_n.jpg

bestbooties:
The few times I parked there in the '70’s,you didn’t park too near the public urinal as the queer boys were in and out all night and you couldn’t get much kip!

By the 80’s another form of nightlife had taken over- then hardly anyone got any kip. There’d be cars cruising around and around the roundabout. Now and again, there’d be some entertainment laid on when there was a collision. Imagine it- they’ve had a bump and then they had to explain the time and place on the accident form to the missus. I guess it would be pretty hard to account for!! Those were the days.

nice to read all the chat lads. bringin back a few good memories for me.
time to put a few more pics on then:
heres one for you Ian, Promotor F12 with a South African driver, if I remember correctly, his name was George.

Heres the Hercock roadtrain “Roman” in his F12

and how many of you knew Hercocks did a bit of heavy haulage?

this is how Hercocks ended up for those who didnt recognise the Derby and White name

Leggetts was another regular i used to see. Was amusing to see the Volvo F12’s and f89’s “waiting” for the SLACK ATKI’s to catch up!
dont know where this was taken, reckon it was somewhere in Swiss.
Anyone have a clue?

and now a few more to jog yer memories…
who remembers FERRY FRIGHTNING ?

Swains with a French reg 111 and Martintrux, night shot at Dover

Early David Croome F12 especially for JJ72. Croomy had a Mack, ill have to sort that 1 out and post it if anyones interested?

and finally one of my favorite outfits, PATRICKS. They always had top o the range kit. This F88 wagon and drag is a cracker!
now owned by Rogers who have also recently taken KENTVALE over as well.

so, am i putting too many photos on here? Do you guys want to see more?
Or should I be thinking about a book…[/b]

:smiley: Keep um coming ash :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If nothing else it [zb] the wife right off ,me being all nostalgic and drifting off into happy times. Now where did I put me rose coloured specs :laughing: :wink:

keep putting em here ash,but do a book aswell,you can never have to much of a good thing :laughing: