TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

A few big firms from the past on there…
Cadwallader
Beresford
Lowe Paddock Wood on far left and far right
Carmans nestling in there.
Also Phillip Crouch in there too!
Sadly all but Carmans now gone :frowning:

Found this in with some old paperwork today, memory jogger for quite a few. Chris

adr:
Never see Wagons like this in Europe again, all bland & the same now. Chris

Vanlommel are still going and still with the same livery. :smiley:

But yes most companies have gone 'modern ’ with their company colours. :frowning:

I’ve got quite a few pics Mallindines trucks through the years if anyone is interested?
I’m new on here but I’ll try to put some up!

Both of these pics are taken in Raychem in Leuven

The Pricey:
I’ve got quite a few pics Mallindines trucks through the years if anyone is interested?
I’m new on here but I’ll try to put some up!

Yes please,
I will look mine up and try to post them here as well.

It looks we were there the same day :wink:

Edit: attached photo

adr:
Again amazing what you find you have kept over the years, found this in a box in the loft today. Remember these little goody bags so we could smell nice when we got off the boat :wink: Chris

I use to bring them home for the kids. I found the sewing kits last week.

Here I am coming up the slip road…photo sent to me via FB but from a magazine.

FB_IMG_1522607523895.jpg

gazzer:
Here I am coming up the slip road…photo sent to me via FB but from a magazine.

Gary
are you solo or are you pulling a flat
Jeremy

Here is one from the past, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer:
Here is one from the past, cheers Buzzer

Now I do like that :smiley: :sunglasses: Chris

I can only think I had a Kingswood flat trailer on Jeremy (well spotted). I can’t place the location but there are a couple of Dagos in the photo and it looks like southern France. Kingswood did very little down there. The only other flat work I did was for Skillbeech to Savona with containers, then empty to Bergamo for washing machines. That photo is on an Autoroute so that wouldn’t apply.

All hooked up ready to rock and roll, Buzzer.

gazzer:
I can only think I had a Kingswood flat trailer on Jeremy (well spotted). I can’t place the location but there are a couple of Dagos in the photo and it looks like southern France. Kingswood did very little down there. The only other flat work I did was for Skillbeech to Savona with containers, then empty to Bergamo for washing machines. That photo is on an Autoroute so that wouldn’t apply.

Are there any other ‘Jokers’ running around, Gazzer? If not, that may be why I recognised your motor. I remember, though had long forgotten till you mentioned it, Skillbeech, but also I used to run containers into Savona docks for Micky White back in the 80s. I reckon our paths might have crossed more than once. :slight_smile:

Only thing was we didn’t use flats for the containers, but tilts, and had to strip and rebuild them at the docks. No mean task in blazing heat and no 2 boards compatible. :smiling_imp:

Spardo I too did traction for Skillbeech and delivered lots of loads to Savona for onward shipping to Gaddafi who was building a new town, allsorts went including the lamp posts IIRC there was a hump back bridge to the entrance and we used to park on it, the good thing was they did inward custom clearance twice a day which was handy then on to Bergamo for washing machines out of Philco. We used to eat in a pizza place with in walking distance if there overnight and you could have a house jumbo one which came with a free carafe of wine but it was a good man to finish one of them off, cheers Buzzer.

2426 by Niall Daniels, on Flickr
Parked in the yard at the start of April.Some bark off her!
Know which one I`d choose,the Raba each side of her or the Italian stallion!

Buzzer:
Spardo I too did traction for Skillbeech and delivered lots of loads to Savona for onward shipping to Gaddafi who was building a new town, allsorts went including the lamp posts IIRC there was a hump back bridge to the entrance and we used to park on it, the good thing was they did inward custom clearance twice a day which was handy then on to Bergamo for washing machines out of Philco. We used to eat in a pizza place with in walking distance if there overnight and you could have a house jumbo one which came with a free carafe of wine but it was a good man to finish one of them off, cheers Buzzer.

We used to park at a lorry park which was right next to the beach, excellent for the swimming when weekended in the summer, and right opposite that was Umberto’s, a top class restaurant where he used to shove 3 tables together to accommodate us all. Once when he was closed he telephoned his mate not far away and we all fitted in there instead. I ordered a pizza which I thought was the main meal but it was so large I couldn’t eat it all. I was flabbergasted when the waiter arrived with another course. :open_mouth: :laughing:

There were always at least half a dozen of us, I think Mickey was contracted for a multi-truck shipment each time for the Colonel. One night, after feasting well we were on the beach at midnight and my wife, who always travelled (and sometimes drove) with me, stripped to bra and pants and waded into the sea. Unfortunately there was a steep shelf about 10 feet in and it got very deep. Tony Buckle said to me ‘I think she’s in trouble’, because she kept coming up and waving frantically. ‘Nah’ I said, ‘she’s enjoying herself’. Tony waded in and brought a coughing and spluttering nearly ex-wife out of the breakers. We were both 40 then, it was her birthday, and Tony looked at her approvingly and said ‘the body of a 16 year old’…then, seeing her little face brighten up considerably, added…‘with a 1,000 year old head’ :laughing: :laughing:

She stopped smiling. :laughing:

To my knowledge there was only 1 “Joker” about in the 80’s to the 00’s. Many confused black Globetrotters as being “The Joker”. Mark Compton of |Poole bought it from me then “sold” it to an Owner Driver, so I am told. What he did with it nobody seems to know. Was supposed to have been seen in Greece but no evidence of that.

gazzer:
To my knowledge there was only 1 “Joker” about in the 80’s to the 00’s. Many confused black Globetrotters as being “The Joker”. Mark Compton of |Poole bought it from me then “sold” it to an Owner Driver, so I am told. What he did with it nobody seems to know. Was supposed to have been seen in Greece but no evidence of that.

Gazzer what did you get for the Joker from Mark, don’t worry all the TAX men from that era are retired now, I got K12 for VTA when I sold her, Buzzer.

Buzzer it was a paltry £5K still only 4x2 so not capable at the higher weight (few triaxle trailers)but quite usable abroad.