Truck satnav

I just responded in the other thread as i had not got to this thread yet.
Jeez you are hilarious ,you wind yourself up :laughing:

Beetlejuice:
I just responded in the other thread as i had not got to this thread yet.
Jeez you are hilarious ,you wind yourself up :laughing:

Thanks I try my best . :sunglasses:

jessejazza:

Beetlejuice:
Try this lads units out.I had a tom tom 6250 nicked gutting but it happens,i use an xgody and and app called road lords now .

an xgody I found one couldnā€™t update and road lords has mixed feedback in reviews. It may develop into a good app but is on beta at present.

theres a support group on facebook for the xgody satnav , members on there will do your update AND add various extras for free/little money. i posted mine to a member in warwickshire . i bleve the support groups name is nozatec or novatec

Beetlejuice:

yourhavingalarf:

Beetlejuice:

robroy:
Just reading all this stuff, seriously, not having a go, but could any of you relatively new lads actually do the job without a little voice telling you to turn left or right. or the more sophisticated sat navs when and where to wipe your arses :unamused: ā€¦ok I maybe am having a go after all :blush: :smiley:

If you donā€™t want to use paper maps, fair dos, but maybe use Google maps on your phone, then rely on the sat nav if you must, when you have more exoerienceā€¦ ā€¦give it a try youā€™ll maybe actually LEARN routes better that way which imo makes you a better driverā€¦ :bulb:

YAAAWWWWNNNNN

Hang onā€¦

robroy has a valid point there. Back in the day we all just set off with a map, an address and a ā– ā– ā– ā–  good memory if you stopped at a service station and memorised the way into a new drop from the A-Z maps for sale in WH Smiths. Now with all this technology, GPS, real time traffic info, lifetime updates and ā€˜Trucknavsā€™, finding your way seems to have got much more difficult. Not once did I ever come a cropper with a map and trust me, Iā€™ve found places even the locals had never heard of.

The basics of reading a map whilst changing crash gears in heavy traffic through a foggy windscreen and stuffing your pipe with a large handfull of Dunhill Flake seems like a dead skill now.

Do us a favour pal ? change your signature

Whatā€™s up with the signature?

I like it a lot :laughing: (Plus he can roll a tab whilst making a brew at 56mph which in my book makes the chap immortal).

It was a deflection tactic :wink:

jessejazza:

robroy:
Just reading all this stuff, seriously, not having a go, but could any of you relatively new lads actually do the job without a little voice telling you to turn left or right. or the more sophisticated sat navs when and where to wipe your arses :unamused: ā€¦ok I maybe am having a go after all :blush: :smiley:
ā€¦

In all fairness I agree with what youā€™ve said - but that comes with experience. Often doing muti-drop it is just rush, rush, rush and one just punches in a postcode and goes - Class 2 HABIT! One finds out that many postcodes cover quite a large area e.g. Rougham airfield (nr Bury St Edmunds) now a large industrial estateā€¦ one has to tap in the address or drive around for quite a while. I only use google (as it shows all commercial sites) to just ā€˜bring me inā€™ as it could save me an embarassing reverse or twoā€¦ no fun in London.

With experience ā€œone weans oneself offā€ satnavs. The big difference with Class 1 is one HAS TO route plan as I posted earlierā€¦ one finds that out PDQ itā€™s fair to say.
ā€œā€¦maybe actually LEARN routes better that way which imo makes you a better driverā€¦ā€
I donā€™t think you meant ā€˜learning routesā€™ as much as ā€˜method of approachā€™. e.g. I had to go to a nursery SE of Hoddesdon a few weeks ago CM19 5JR from Hatfield. Perhaps I could have got through Hoddesdon but I suspected there would be restriction somewhereā€¦ later found out there was 7.5T and bridge weight limit in Dobbā€™s Weir Road. I took the A414 East, A1019, A1025 and in on the B1133. (Maybe I could have taken the shorter route through Roydon and Halls Green but a narrow lane is a risk not worth considering). Actually it is the only way in and my truck satnav came up with ā€˜route not foundā€™. With an artic journey I am thinking motorway, A roads and then lastly B road (maybe) for remote locations. In the SE there are a lot of awkward places to find not that I am claiming this was difficult but just to illustrate the point. The ā€˜better driverā€™ will identify the best route and get in/out without delay and onto next destination.

Since posting I have been using google and Here maps and going all over the country. Here maps routing has been excellent and better than google (and Co-Pilot the other prominent satnav app). Here maps traffic is quite good and I was impressed with it bringing up roadworks than had only been started a few days ago. Google I have found better for just turning to when one has got near to the destination and need to check the exact location. Postcodes can cover quite a wide area and for quite a while I have just used the address in the satnav app search window although a look on google can be necessary at times. Here maps can be used offline which is a big plus compared with google. As to data consumption both seem to ā€˜eatā€™ about 150 mb per day - not much if you have an unlimited pack but otherwise one needs to allow Iā€™d say 4gb per month for continual use. i just go online when I need to. Here maps seems to update its maps every month for offline use which is better than any satnav as well as being biased towards ā€˜Aā€™ roads which is what one wants. Neither app has crashed whereas Navigator Mapfactor app seems to mishap regularly which is a shame as I like it in many ways.

Again both these apps score over a satnav unit as one has satellite view which can be a great aid with difficult locations. Obviously have a Truckers Atlas for route planning as well - one thing I have learnt in my driving jobs employers love to see a driver has a truckerā€™s atlas with themā€¦ as for the size (which is a pain) itā€™s worth having an A3 portfolio folder to protect it.

play.google.com/store/apps/deta ā€¦ ds.android

try this one on your phone, still in beta

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

jowett1969:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roadlords.android

try this one on your phone, still in beta

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Thanks - I have heard of that one but not tried it yet but will do this week.