Truck Dealers of the 1970s/1980S

Nightandgales, Atkinson Dealers London, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Nightandgales, Atkinson Dealers London, Regards Larry.

Nightingale Garage belonged to the Allen family, and who had bought Atkinson out of receivership in 1933. Although it was later floated, the Allen family still headed up the business until the hostile takeover by Seddon in late 1970.

Atkinson Vehicles (London) Limited was also based at Nightingale Lane, Balham.

I had a couple of Bedfords in the late 70s,and 2 Main dealers come to mind.
GBE, Which was Garlick,Burrell,& Edwards in Bootle, Liverpool.
Also Ormskirk Motors, a Main Bedford Dealer. John the storekeeper there was
amazing… Phone him up for a Bedford part, and a 7 figure part number
would come down the phone to you almost immediately.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

From the early 80’s in my apprentice days, in the Warrington area, I recall Warrington Comm Vehs in Haydock (Fodens) and then the new Sandbach Truck Centre took over on Station Road. I remember arriving there at about 8 in the morning for a new battery and at about 3pm they ended up taking one from a new truck thst had just been pdi’d! Rylands were Seddon Atkinson and I think they had a transport operation out of their yard (Dobsons tankers?) Mercedes Benz agents were Ensor Motors (niw Enza

(cut myself off somehow) PLP (now Lookers) were Bedford Vauxhall. Warrington Motors (Ford) became CD Bramhall and a mate of mine back in the day worked at the Hino Comm Vehs centre on Woolston Grange. Thomasons, the transport firm in Northwich, Saviems and had a garage which seviced them. Haydock Comm’s were (still are) Scania and they’re about to move onto the new Omega site near Burtonwood Services.

Heyday, you are correct that Ryland Warrington ran a tanker operation out of the yard on John Street, it was called Leaderfreight run by
John Scholes, work was mainly Tunnel Refineries, and ran obviously 400 Seddon Atkinson,s but also ran a White Road Commander for a while,
looked and sounded great but was incredibly uncomfortable to drive. During the drivers strike [ 76/77 ?] i was asked by my boss Geoff Ward
if i would take a tanker to London, i had never driven a fully loaded tanker before, a very scary and enlightening experience !!!

Sparshatts of Kent Ltd
Sittingbourne
Early 80’s