Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

Post removed

ronhawk:

Dirty Dan:
Hey whats up with that parasites coments everywere Ron?

Danne

Ron, if you are referring to me, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. Everything in the books is above board. I asked you for permission to quote you in the book and you gave it, as did all the other people I quoted. I kept a record with times and dates in many cases and I note that I sent you a PM on 16/05/15 seeking your permission to quote a specific set of posts and you replied on this thread as shown above on 17/05/15 @ 8:51am. Likewise the photos: all were used with permission.

The fish-eye picture was a misunderstanding too. Because of your comments I stopped looking on this thread for a very long time and someone sent me your image by email. I suppose I should have recognised the fish-eye as yours, but as we all transfer pics across the threads on a daily basis I thought nothing of it. This is an anorak’s forum, Ron, and you’re on it! Lighten up, mate; no one’s out to put one over on you. Robert

ronhawk:
Car transporters this one was carrying Mini buses ,60 ft + turning right at the end of the port rd Damman it was the biggest one I had seen !! This was a D /decker What made me remember it was it was on its side ■■ I had never seen so much glass on the road , there must have been 10 mini buses on this transporter brand new all white the unit was just a 4 wheeler and had not long happened , head on crashes on a straight strip of tarmac seems unlikely but it was the norm ! The reason I think was the change over from the Camels to trucks ,the trucks always got the Bump !!! I have a photo of a this very scene from JP , He said the desert was hard enough to get round , I was driving down the Aljubale rd and An Arab came down of the slip road , he lost it, he came straight across the duel carriageway heading straight for me at great speed I slammed on the anchors and he just mist me spinning off into the desert he escaped out of the windscreen. I thought it was my lot !! Wirlinmerlin it was not our time to go together ha ha Ron ps Robert 1952 absolutely fine

ronhawk:
Jona’s phone call got me started again ?

ONE word: pERFect!!!

Brings back a lot of memories and good to keep the spirit alive

If Jona is watching this thread: BRILLIANT mate - what an inspired idea to create a Trans Arabia B-series from the French acquisition! Robert :sunglasses:

RON
Let’s settle this issue once and for all, Ron. Are you complaining about anoraks on a forum for anoraks! You have publicly delivered some quite destructive criticism on this thread of my coverage of Trans Arabia in the Lorries of Arabia books over a period of time. I’m glad to see that you’ve removed some of your more offensive texts but I notice you’re still printing snide remarks under your pictures so that they can’t be quoted. You appear to be under the misapprehension that I have somehow ‘ripped off’ this thread and marketed it in books for my own gain as some kind of underhand imposter.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I would have preferred to have ignored these remarks, but alas this is a public forum and online attack always has consequences: those remarks have come to the attention of other people who are affronted by them. So, I wish to clear the air by setting the record straight, as follows:
1. The first book was already finished and with the publisher before this Trans Arabia thread was even started.
2. I’ve met many of the Trans Arabia lads and know some of them very well. I was interviewing some of them long before you appeared on this thread.
3. Everything has been above board in the Lorries of Arabia books, to meet the publisher’s requirements. Permission was sought by me and given by contributors for quotations, reported conversations and use of photographs: I have been meticulous about this.
4. I make no money out of these books: it costs me more to do the research than I get in royalties. I do it for fun and for the lads, who are generally very appreciative.
5. For the record, I have contributed much to this thread, partly out of gratitude and respect for the cooperation I’ve received from the former Trans Arabia fraternity.
6. I’ve written two books helping to put Trans Arabia’s history on the map in a very positive manner indeed; and another is on the way.
7. I have, for the record, driven lorries across Saudi Arabia myself, so imposter I am not.
8. I have transferred no pictures or information posted by you to any other thread, as you appeared to object (though God knows why: after more than six years on this forum with over 10,000 posts, nobody else has ever complained about my thread transfers – they’ve mostly delighted in them!); and everyone else does it every day. Nonetheless I’ve already respected your objection by long ceasing this activity entirely in your case only.
9. Nor will I mention you in any future publications: indeed, I deleted all references to you in the Trans Arabia section of my third book some time ago.
10. COMMENT LATER DELETED

I hope we can meet one day peacefully over a pint, old mate. I know Cookie is keen to introduce you to me.
Cheers, Robert

SALLY

ronhawk:
SALLY

We went through the trauma of this in my own family Ron. My heartfelt thoughts are with you all. Robert

Afternoon Ron,
Is Jona taking them to Gaydon next month? If he is it will be a good line up with Jona’s 2 as well as the 2 Andy Talbot has got in Jones’s livery,
As you have commented, Jona has done a cracking job on both of his motor’s keeping the Jones’s name alive! Cheer’s Pete

ronhawk:

Dirty Dan:
Hey whats up with that parasites coments , Sorry about that , live and let live Ron Thanks for the the good wishes Ron

image.jpg

Ron …your mate is certainly doing a great job with his ERF,s …and just to show you that T/A did,nt have a monopoly in "roll overs " I thought I,d post these two pics and let you know I,m still watching you ■■?

Mah Salams

img118.jpg

Thanks Backplice ,

image.jpg

[album][/albu
Come on Ron
Any info on who is in front of this vehicle etc etc

This picture appeared on Facebook yesterday with no info

Hope you are keeping well

Ken

This was the journey that created the embryo for Trans Arabia

Ken that is Stan Brindley

cookie1:
Ken that is Stan Brindley

Hello Mr C
Must admit I did wounder, also woundered if it was Dave Anslow.

Who were the 3 who went to Doha and there vehicles - was 104 one of them? Must have been

Must admit my mind is fading a bit.

Trust you are well

Cheers
Ken

I missed Kelsall this year - away

Morning Ken the 3 that went to Doha were John Clarke driving fleet number 308 Tommy Whitehouse driving fleet number 322 and Stan Brindley driving fleet number 316 .

Keeping The Spirit alive ,more photos to follow, Ron

I survived the Abquaiq road and a few other things besides…Awkins suicidal tendencies, playing chicken with oncoming tonka drivers…being beaten about the upper body with a big staff by some mad muller in a pickup truck with an enormous loud speaker on the roof. my crime was sitting on a nearby wall whilst waiting for the shops to re open after evening prayer… being taken for a spin as a passenger on a 1300 water cooled Kawasaki wearing just a tee shirt , jeans and my trusty clogs at speeds in excess of 200km’s per hour whilst weaving through the traffic on both sides… not being arrested for going to the supermarket with a Thai girl then taking her for some afternoon delight to a friends compound house…( I had rescued her one evening from the clutches of some arab who was trying to molest her in the street and she gave me her employers telephone number)… Pulling two 20 ton Mazola containers out of the port with unit 104 the mustangee, with no trailer brakes!! My bottom has never been the same since. I have led a very lucky life!!

Wirlinmerlin:
I survived the Abquaiq road and a few other things besides…Awkins suicidal tendencies, playing chicken with oncoming tonka drivers…being beaten about the upper body with a big staff by some mad muller in a pickup truck with an enormous loud speaker on the roof. my crime was sitting on a nearby wall whilst waiting for the shops to re open after evening prayer… being taken for a spin as a passenger on a 1300 water cooled Kawasaki wearing just a tee shirt , jeans and my trusty clogs at speeds in excess of 200km’s per hour whilst weaving through the traffic on both sides… not being arrested for going to the supermarket with a Thai girl then taking her for some afternoon delight to a friends compound house…( I had rescued her one evening from the clutches of some arab who was trying to molest her in the street and she gave me her employers telephone number)… Pulling two 20 ton Mazola containers out of the port with unit 104 the mustangee, with no trailer brakes!! My bottom has never been the same since. I have led a very lucky life!!

As I remember the English for Abqaiq (pedantic - qui moi?) didn’t have a u in it…

Somewhere between Abqaiq and Al Khobar a large beast had died. It was opposite one of those massive mountains of sand that they pushed back almost on a daily basis to keep the road clear.

The first couple of days it was a point of discussion - ‘anyone notice that water buffalo that’s dead at the side of the road?’

Why it would be a water buffalo, I don’t know, but that name stuck. It became a daily obsession as we thrashed up to Riyadh and back.

‘The water buffalo’s starting to expand!’

‘Yes, getting a bit whiffy as well!’

After a few more days, you had to close the windows despite the unbearable heat. The smell was horrific.

Then:

‘The water buffalo’s burst!’

After that it wasn’t just the smell - a storm of flies surrounded it. If you didn’t get the windows closed thousands were in your cab.

A few days later:

‘Not so many flies now!’

‘No, bit less smelly too.’

It was never moved - it mummified next to the highway.

Happy days!

John.