Toys R us in trouble

A point worth pondering here; lots of smaller high street shops and businesses depended on 7.5 tonne vehicles for their deliveries. Now that these are classed as HGV and new drivers need a seperate test, this by definition, adds to the costs; because you either need to employ or train a qualified driver together with DCPC and all the associated paraphenalia, or downsize to sub-3.5 tonne vans. Once old Fred with his pre-1997 grandfather rights retires or moves on, the problem gets worse.

Law of unintended consequences?

They are not called “Toys R Us”. They are called “Toys Я Us”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sidevalve:
A point worth pondering here; lots of smaller high street shops and businesses depended on 7.5 tonne vehicles for their deliveries. Now that these are classed as HGV and new drivers need a seperate test, this by definition, adds to the costs; because you either need to employ or train a qualified driver together with DCPC and all the associated paraphenalia, or downsize to sub-3.5 tonne vans. Once old Fred with his pre-1997 grandfather rights retires or moves on, the problem gets worse.

Definitely think there’s something in that I reckon a lot goes out on two transits instead of one 7.5t these days. A lot less parcel cos seem to run 7.5 tonners now pretty sure Parcelforce has cut back.

Pat Hasler:

lolipop:
Toys R us American arm was reported to be in trouble some months ago,inevitable it would spread to the UK

Toys R Us declared bankruptcy in the USA several months back.

At least the envoironment gets a breather.Imagine a photo image of millions of tons of bleached,decaying stratas of Chinese plastic ware (affection substitutes) leeching into the earth,contaminating the aquifers decade after decade.Pretty ■■■■ disturbing,i bet the Woolworths era of plastic junkery has nicely calcified for the future centuries ahead.

manalishi:

Pat Hasler:

lolipop:
Toys R us American arm was reported to be in trouble some months ago,inevitable it would spread to the UK

At least the envoironment gets a breather.Imagine a photo image of millions of tons of bleached,decaying stratas of Chinese plastic ware (affection substitutes) leeching into the earth,contaminating the aquifers decade after decade.Pretty ■■■■ disturbing,i bet the Woolworths era of plastic junkery has nicely calcified for the future centuries ahead.

Or
Instead of plastics toys coming over in containers on ships, and put on economical trucks, they`ll be wrapped in brown paper and flown over, then be distributed by Mr Van Man.

manalishi:

Pat Hasler:

lolipop:

I don’t think so, it’s not that people aren’t buying the stuff, they’re just not buying it from Toys R Us. :confused:

Sidevalve:

have found on two occasions to my cost that it is going more do away with two 7.5t put it all on a12t or 23t rigid !
my current employer had 29 7.5t routes when i joined in may influx of new vehicles over the summer all nine of which are 12t