toleman

A few more for sale.

Inside the entrance to the Loews Hotel. This place is something else and is where the other half live. The company very kindly let us stay in this hotel instead of sending us off to a cheap hotel in Nice. The rooms we had here were the smallest in the place, and remember it was a two days before the Monaco GP, and cost per night £385 in 1987

A view across the famous Loews hairpin to the hotel

Shot across the harbour.

Gary and Michael treated us to a day down in San Remo, Italia, fresh lobster, killer food

Going home, boo hoo.

The Loews Hotel is the one on stilts in the sea with the pool on the roof. I have to consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to do this trip, out of 600 drivers only 4 had the chance. and when you see how the super rich live I realised that even working at Tolemans, as well paid as we were at that time I would always be super poor.

Boy oh boy have you lived, mate! Never a dull moment by the looks of it!!!

cracking pictures and story paul, i ahd forgotten about all these pictures, keep them coming!

P taking aside, I’ve just been very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. My view was that if any opportunity came my way, I tried it. Life is about a series of experiences, not always interconnected. I was always looking for new ones.And why have boring experiences when its possible to have interesting ones. Looking back , life is not as long as you think it is at 25, so get them in while you are young, cos you’ll soon be old !!
Sorry, too boring and philosophical.
Truck driving and its ancilliary operations were good to me and I would always tick the box that said its a good job.

Couple of more pics at local school.

Loading trials at Ipswich depot see Orwell bridge in background,doing a bit of top deck transference to save time.

Brings back happy memories of misspent school holidays up the road with dad :smiley: . I still see a few of the old “Tollies” drivers out and about. I’ll ask about and see if any of them are willing to post any of their own snaps.

They also did a lot for F1 grand-prix racing (with Toleman F1) I think they had Senna at one point driving for them… Also they did F1 power boat racing, and we’re quiet successful at both.
The Toleman lads may have seemed a bit flash, but they we’re grounded, and hard workers.
Still got an old Toleman F1 racing jacket somewhere !!

il never forget the tolemans driver who overtook me and my dad in 1989 at 70 odd mile an hour and about 3 miles down the road the motorway came to a standstill as a french lorry had pulled straight of the hard shoulder into mr tolemans path caused him to swerve, he ended up down the embankment all the cars were all over the carrigeway, when me and dad had got to southampton eventully we saw an tolemans driver he was upset and it turns out he was a mate of the drivers and the driver was dead.

this was at northampton 1989 on the m1.

Quite right Fergie, Toleman started off in F2 with Brian Henton as their main driver, Ted gave Ayrton Senna his opportunity when Tolemans moved up into F1. Ted himself was power boat world champion, and yes the two lads were up for life but both were grafters especially Gary who was aiming for head of engineering. One of the things that put the skids under Tolemans, excuse the pun, was the amount of investment put into the development of the Mk 5, 12 car carrier.
As to the accident on the M1, remember it well, and we were all pretty cut up about it, you got to know a lot of guys from other depots as we were all regularly re-loading at various plants.

PROWLANDS:

Is that at Sandy Hill Lane ?

Certainly is Dids, or otherwise known as Raeburn Rd.