TIR plates

I doubt it because it’s Oryx freight,not Astran.
Anyway.it doesn’t matter because i’ve just looked at some old albums and discovered that it IS Pat Hawkes F89 and it IS me sitting there.I have never seen the photo before but i know that it was taken between H4 and Turayf by Philip Llewellin.

Each of the TIR plates also had one of the securing bolts longer than the others with a hole drilled through it for a seal to be threaded through and clamped thereby sealing the plate to the trailer, on a normal tilt trailer you would seal the front and back TIR plates and one on the TIR cord, the three seals would be entered on TIR carnet only to be removed by the customs, and how about your GV60 and photo’s we attached them to the carnet de passage, there must be thousands of trailer TIR photo’s knocking around somewhere three photo’s per trailer front, back and side…

Ossie

tiptop495:

ANDREWDAX:
As well as the tir plates does any one remember the buckets hanging on the front ,what was all that about?

Hey, to clean your windows and mirrors, and at the time you needed very often to fill water in the radiator too.

Eric,

yes eric i used to carry one in the cab, never know what drunken drivers would use them for something else !

ERF-NGC-European:

ANDREWDAX:
As well as the tir plates does any one remember the buckets hanging on the front ,what was all that about?

Here you go! My favourite ‘bucket’ picture. Robert

A smart outfit Robert ,how long did the buckets last in them conditions,I used to carry a canvas bucket in my times in Morrocco.

Hey to all,

Where should you have to drive today for needing a TIR plate ■■? I’ll never see one any more here, even from far east ex russian states not, which come to offload
here.

Eric,

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

tiptop495:
Hey Robert, Where is the time you needed for the nightbour countries even en TIR plate, and empty not black strip and you could pay or deal in a routiers. Only NL and LUX were free for us then already Benelux countries. Yes in those strange countries it was Always often different, if you never continuous drove, after a halve year or more you thought i know it if you went back,but nothing was the same. And of course the more trucks came the more control. Were there 3 times in '73 and '74 and it was al easy, only still the ferry in Istanbul. Of course i can not speak of experience for only 3 times. Then two times begin the '80’s and the game was over for me. But a broken seal was a night more too in England :smiley: if one for the joke had snipped it. No experience but think if you saw it in the morning, was best to call the police to explane.
think here the same if of the 100 sold plates 50 ever were used it was much. And this 141 was never outside of Belgium even not further of about 200km from base. :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

Yes, always a problem if the seal was broken; or if the tilt was slashed. I remember a bloke in Romania had alluminium on board but the load shifted so he pulled into Sibiu to get customs to help him right the load and re-seal it. Robert

Robert, didn’t T.I.R. stand for Trans Internatianole Routiers?

Yes!

I thought it stood for “Tipping in Rungis” And “terrible in reverse” :laughing:

Or towed in regularly :slight_smile:

Absolutely right Mike. 423 was Pats motor. But I am very disappointed with the bucket.

To be correct it had to have a sticker of that Euro Duck that they sold in Belgium in the filling stations.

David

I remember Philip took so many pics during that trip. :open_mouth: Every so often another one pops up.
Maybe the duck’s on the back side so as not to offend the Saudi’s. :slight_smile:

I think another Fad from these early years when overland to the Middle east … other than the bucket there was the spreading a palm faun across the grill ( covered in dust of course )… talking about buckets I know this is,nt TIR just comparing to keep the banter going

Copy of img338.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

ANDREWDAX:

That is one of my all time favourite photos. It must have been around 75 76 I used to draw it all over my school homework books. I remember it from Truck Magazine, but I always though it was part of a Volvo Ad. The other photo from that era was a Yellow Saviem with a blue Tilt climbing Tahir at sun set.

Most of the other kids in my class read Hulk, Spider man or Shoot. But I read Truck, Headlight, and Commercial Motor and later on Trucking International. I guess in a way I made happen as none of the rest of them ever became super heroes, but I got to driver trucks. ( most days I’m pretty happy about that )

Tip Top if you head out east, South Russia you’ll see TIR plates on most of the trucks coming out of Uzbec, Kaz Tashkent, Kyrgyzstan, I believe China is going to sign up soon, which could change the whole face of things in that area as far as road transport goes.

Jeff

Hey, a Frederi.

Eric,

Jelliot:

ERF-NGC-European:

ANDREWDAX:

Tip Top if you head out east, South Russia you’ll see TIR plates on most of the trucks coming out of Uzbec, Kaz Tashkent, Kyrgyzstan, I believe China is going to sign up soon, which could change the whole face of things in that area as far as road transport goes.

Jeff

Thanks, maybe put off the plates if they have finished customs because i don’t see them her without the Tirplates, if they arrive to tip or load. Maybe because here in our region lots want one for fun and they are often stolen. Once mine was stolen of my vintage trailer while sleeping 10km from home.

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey, a Frederi.

Eric,

I dunno bout a frederi,more like a takeaway falafel depending on what country you were in at the time… :slight_smile:

tiptop495:
Hey to all,

Where should you have to drive today for needing a TIR plate ■■? I’ll never see one any more here, even from far east ex russian states not, which come to offload
here.

Eric,

Turkey !

So it seems that the TIR plates could/can be bought willy nilly then. Seeing as the topic has moved onto buckets,
I thought that proper ME drivers, had what looked like a Camels scrotum hanging on the towing pin.
Some kind of Arabic water carrier?

> Suedehead:
> So it seems that the TIR plates could/can be bought willy nilly then. Seeing as the topic has moved onto buckets,
> I thought that proper ME drivers, had what looked like a Camels scrotum hanging on the towing pin.
> Some kind of Arabic water carrier?

Haven’t got a picture of one but you could buy a canvas water bottle to hang off the mirror arm
The evaporation through the canvas theoretically cooled the water for drinking

Before fridges nothing really worked - I tried the Camel scrotum bottles - but better:- I used to keep a bottle of water with a wet towel over it

Worked a bit but not like desert bliss: Chilled Iced Water - a figment of our imagination :blush:

whisperingsmith:
> Suedehead:
> So it seems that the TIR plates could/can be bought willy nilly then. Seeing as the topic has moved onto buckets,
> I thought that proper ME drivers, had what looked like a Camels scrotum hanging on the towing pin.
> Some kind of Arabic water carrier?

Haven’t got a picture of one but you could buy a canvas water bottle to hang off the mirror arm
The evaporation through the canvas theoretically cooled the water for drinking

Before fridges nothing really worked - I tried the Camel scrotum bottles - but better:- I used to keep a bottle of water with a wet towel over it

Worked a bit but not like desert bliss: Chilled Iced Water - a figment of our imagination :blush:

I have seen a pic of one on here somewhere, I think it was on the front of John Frosts Scania.

GS OVERLAND:

tiptop495:
Hey to all,

here.

Eric,

Turkey !

Hey GS, don’t think any more the Turks have an agreement with the EU for customs, that’s why Turkey has now doubled
it’s export with the EU. Thanks Erdogan to fool the Europ :frowning: :frowning:

Eric,

We still need a TIR Carnet to transit Turkey.