Tipper Driving

My old mate John Cross drove this Seddon Atkinson for Roberts Transport of Knighton, seen loading tarmac at Dolyhir Quarry with plant supervisor Kevin Layton on the steps.

John Cross had over forty years driving tippers.

kr79:
Just asked my dad for some memorys from his early days tipper driving in the late 70s the first one was it was about 6 months before he went to a tip as any back road or bit of wasteground was fair game to lose a load of muck

Or when a load of ■■■■■■■■ type material could be taken to a local builder or farmer and the driver come away with beer money…
How about writing just one ticket per day with a tally of lads done written on it?

Dennis Stokes with S W Brisbane of Knighton Radnorshire first Leyland six wheeler tipper. Dennis drove Roberts Transport of Knighton first lorry an Atkinson eight wheeler bulk tipper when Gordon Roberts started his own haulage business.

Dodge K series which I drove for S W Brisbane parked across the road from where I live.

a firm i worked for years ago used to have us clearing the yard out on a monday,we were tipping at a transfer station in wembley,where the bloke in charge used to give us a fiver evertytime we brought a load in,by way of an incentive to tip there.we would easily get four loads in there in a day.
they always used to do a dodgy ticket aswell , where we signed for tipping a load in there that didnt exist-another 60 quid for driver!!
the good old days eh? used to like mondays back then :sunglasses:

John Cross with an S tyoe Bedford being loaded by a 22RB at Gore Quarry in the early 1960’s.

Loading at one of the North Easts coal sites, Regards Larry.

I just love those old cat shovels ,I used to use one know and again it was a 4 cylinder turbo.

John Cross Daf 2500 tipper being loaded at Gore Quarry early 1990’s.

andrew.s:
a firm i worked for years ago used to have us clearing the yard out on a monday,we were tipping at a transfer station in wembley,where the bloke in charge used to give us a fiver evertytime we brought a load in,by way of an incentive to tip there.we would easily get four loads in there in a day.
they always used to do a dodgy ticket aswell , where we signed for tipping a load in there that didnt exist-another 60 quid for driver!!
the good old days eh? used to like mondays back then :sunglasses:

The “tip one get one free” scheme operated by many weighbridge staff would reap dividends come Christmas…
Talking of Wembley, what’s happened to Scudder? Were they part of PJ Carey as their liveries were the same?

One of my late great Uncles motors, On contract to Lime Sand & Motar at Greenside Burnhills Quarry, An ex BRS Motor converted into a tipper, Regards Larry.

Funny how its got a tool box,tippers didnt have any for along time ,and now you see some again and on some tipper trailers .

John Cross with Roberts Daf on the ramps with lime. I did this job with a four wheeler tipper which could be dodgy, if you went to far back,the ramps would tip up and smash the diesel tank and batteries. It never happened to me, but I know a few that did it.
Cheers Dave.

Tipping at Cambois Power Station Blyth Northumberland, Regards Larry.

Petrol engined S type Bedford tipper driven by my old mate John Cross in the mid 1950’s.

Richardsons working on the Coast Road upgrade in the 60s Newcastle, Regards Larry.

image.jpg
image.jpg

When the snow fell. The tippers did this. John Cross drove the lorry and council worker Horace Jones adjusts the snowplough while John took the pic. Knighton area Radnorshire 1950’s.