Time to seriously re-evaluate my life

dozy:

dave docwra:
Anyone know how many days a week Robroy is doing these days?

Sat nights , Sunday from what I’ve read of late , so doesn’t look anyway legal to me, wouldn’t suprise me if 2 cards were involved , always struck me something dodgy about rob , at Tesco livingstone one day , a farm in Cornwall the next !!!

I know another one sitting in a room behind his keyboard pretending or wishing he could drive a lorry :smiley:

dave docwra:

dozy:

dave docwra:
Anyone know how many days a week Robroy is doing these days?

Sat nights , Sunday from what I’ve read of late , so doesn’t look anyway legal to me, wouldn’t suprise me if 2 cards were involved , always struck me something dodgy about rob , at Tesco livingstone one day , a farm in Cornwall the next !!!

I know another one sitting in a room behind his keyboard pretending or wishing he could drive a lorry :smiley:

Yep,.I much prefer your theory. :laughing:
If only it were true. :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:
This is common with drivers as a lot just convince themselves 70 hr weeks and 4/5 nights out are “normal”.
I packed the tramping in just before I got married and started a family,
What kicked it off is my moods were terrific bike Sunday nights I’d go in to a deep depression at the thought of another week away with work been piled on me…
Then the Mrs picked me up from the yard one Saturday at 1pm after a week away I put my stuff in the car and she said said “come on it take you for a pint”.
It was a nice sunny day and say out side the pub I fell asleep on the bench after about 5 minutes :open_mouth:
Then my Mrs said right that’s enough you change jobs your gonna end up dead.
I took a job on local container work average 10-12 hour a day h9me nearly every night and no pressure,it gives me a family life with the kids too and is 5 minutes from my house,we get the dad 15 hour shift but not many.
Contrast me with my mate who carried on well he is on blood pressure tablets his weight has ballooned as he “don’t have time to eat properly” has sleep apnea and is on 12 month licence reviews from dvla and constantly stressed but he keeps saying “I need to max out Id only be sat at home” like it’s some sort of justification for working like a dog.

Similar story for me, i’d become part of the bloody machine on the transporters and hadn’t time to realise what it was doing to me cos autopilot, fortunately the good lady a woman far too good for me had seen what was happening and urged me to jack it in, within 3 weeks the company piled that final straw on and i put me notice in with no job to go to.
Best thing i ever did, ended up with a better paid and easier job to boot to see me time out.

Well thanks for taking the time to write folks, it’s been a week and I’m now on 2 tabs a day for bp and 1 for cholesterol and it’s come down a wee bit between 180 and 200 still high but it’s early days. Been off and chilled for the week whilst looking at other employment options, I think I want away from driving trucks completely, I don’t have the same love for the job. I used to enjoy going different places and travelling all over the U.K. and Europe the people we meet the sights I would never have seen had it not been for a truck, but alas the thrill has gone. I may keep going for a bit but only to fund a new avenue but not quite made my mind up
So to all the good hardworking guys and girls who still venture out day and night delivering and collecting all sorts, stay safe much love and peace out

@O/p…Are you totally relying on tabs to bring your BP down, or are you helping it along with excercise.
Btw…I’m the last bloke to preach about excercise :unamused: , but when my BP was up a few years ago, my Mrs bought me a treadmill, and I got it down myself without any tabs, enough to renew my licence anyway.

adam277:
I’d look into being a shunter. Most of their time is spent reading newspapers or watching YouTube videos.

yeh ok just don’t come near our yard. I call it the weight loss regime. Every single one of them has lost 10+lbs in the last year. There are brief periods of idling but just enough for a coffee or a ■■■■. Oh and they work 1 per shift so no one to relieve them. 12 hour shifts

I don’t blame you from walking away from road transport, when the enjoyment goes , that’s the start of going downhill from then onwards.
We have a poor public image and county council councillors who would not know one end of a truck even if hit them in the face , they think a Ford Transit is a 44 ton artic , the lack of safe and decent overnight parking facilities, treated like the scum of the earth at delivery places and you seriously messed up their hectic day with the sheer cheek and audacity of turning up , they ordered it, if they don’t want it , take it back .

Traffic levels are rising again,along with pollution, tailgating and road rage , all of above is detrimental to anyone’s mental and physical health.Let’s not forget transit tax for Kent .

ETS:

adam277:
I’d look into being a shunter. Most of their time is spent reading newspapers or watching YouTube videos.

yeh ok just don’t come near our yard. I call it the weight loss regime. Every single one of them has lost 10+lbs in the last year. There are brief periods of idling but just enough for a coffee or a ■■■■. Oh and they work 1 per shift so no one to relieve them. 12 hour shifts

In the supermarkets its the opposite. There is usually like 6 of them at least. They dont so much as shunt but dash around the yard ensure all the drivers are moving the trailers for them. Very hard to just dump a trailer in a yard without some shunter coming over and saying “Is it empty■■? Put it on bay 80 please!”

bigsidney:
Well folks, had a bit of a wake up call last week. Finished my shift and headed off home, on the way home felt kinda strange weird [zb] going on with my vision and a kinda indescribable feeling.
Got home made dinner had a shower with a headache coming on,so I decides to head to bed. Couldn’t get to sleep due to my head getting worse by now it’s really pounding behind my right eye.
My wife gets in from work, and to cut a long story short,I’m up at the local hospital and unusually for here I’m straight in to an A+E cubicle. BP checked after a short chat Bang…227/121 doctor says that’s about as high as you can get without either a stroke or a heart attack…lucky escape. Spent 2 days on the ward constant checks every 4hrs and numerous blood tests and full MOT. I’m now out and advised not to drive until my BP is stable but just now it’s still pretty high 183/113 but not as dangerous. It’s something u don’t feel but it can hit anyone at anytime. I didn’t realise and if I had just left it I probably wouldn’t be here telling this story. I have been in this game nigh on 30 years now and very rarely had a day off or needed to see a doctor, I’m typical like a lot of us drivers,where we just get up and get on with it, working through the aches and pains and the like. I’m supposedly going to be fit enough to return to work in a week or so but will be on pills for the foreseeable future. Problem that I have is I don’t really want to go back, I know it’s the stress of the job that is doing it and realising that if I keep going I’m only going to make things worse so I’m looking to change my career because I’m not prepared to die for a job

You have my sympathy bigsydney. Is the stress and physical labour now normal in the transport industry worth your life? Reading your story inspired me to write mine.