Time to Chase a Dream or Stick with the Mundane

I don’t regret doing my class 1, but I no longer drive for a living. You could argue that shunting is still driving in a way. I know that if circumstances change I have the license to fall back on.

If it’s what you want, go for it. But think it through first. Read through the posts on here, the same moans crop up time and time again. Don’t take them with a pinch of salt, really ponder on how they will effect your life (and they will)

If you still feel it’s what you want then go for it. I’ve had some of the best times of my life driving and have many stories to tell. I wouldn’t have had that working 9-5. I’ve also been through a messy divorce and been driven to near mental breakdown. I wouldn’t have had that doing 9-5.

StandingCrow:
Hello and hats off to you truckers.
I’m guessing you may know what i’m going to say but i’ve looked on the net and on here but there are no post/articles etc that answer the following question how i would like.
Not to be disrespectful but i would like this question to be answered from those who’ve been in the trucking business preferably class 1 a good few years its comings/goings etc.
So from the age of about 16 i’m always been drawn to lorrys(trucks haha) and have always liked the idea of being a lorry/class 1 driver (but to cut a long story short) i passed my car driving test this year and have got the real urge to chase my dream as i simply love lorries(DAFS & Volvos are my favs) being on my own, and driving.
However just when i feel the time is right(personal life) to start on the road to achieve my dream tesla decide to make there electric autonomous truck. Now considering the cost of a class 1 license, and how long you need to have held it usually a year etc, if you were me with this burning desire(that’s borderline obsession:“eating, sleeping, dreaming with that one thing my mind” ) to become a lorry driver & with your knowledge/reality of the business and it’s potential future, would you recommend i start out on the pursue this dream?

Many thanks & respect even if you don’t reply.
(but please do :laughing:)

I wouldn’t worry about autonomous trucks. They will happen, but they are still 20-30 years away from making serious inroads into manually controlled vehicles. Also, you don’t need to have held a licence for a minimum period before getting work, you just need to know where to look, and it’s normally the better employers who will give a start to newly-passed drivers, not the worst. If you want to do it then do it.

Find out about the local employment situation. Ask local operators if they would give you a start without experience, you could speak to drivers on industrial estates at the butty vans. Agencies will promise all sorts and mess you around .Don’t give up a job to go on agency work.

If nothing else it’s a handy qualification to have if you can afford the costs. I have had over a twenty year break and due to circumstances needed a job. Thankfully I could dust the HGV license off. I don’t enjoy the modern driving environment but it beats working in a supermarket or factory for now.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk