This normal? Treated like trash

Harry Monk:
I’m deducted 45 minutes a day for breaks so my argument is that I am perfectly entitled to spend that in some transport cafe somewhere

I’m not deducted 45 minutes a day for breaks, my argument is no different to yours if I’m taking a break.

In the old days agencies black listed companies that treated agency personell badly it only took a couple of complaints from staff and they did something about it . These days their only interested in the money .
A couple of instances of drivers being pulled by DVSA after spending breaks on bays my change their breaks policy .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

nick2008:

toonsy:

sammym:

blue estate:
Just remind them it’s your licence not theirs :wink: and you’ll take all required brakes etc

Apparently it’s “company policy to only take breaks when being unloaded” have asked them to get their transport manager to put that in writing for me.

Apart from their attitude it was a great job. No surprise they need agency drivers with that attitude. Great trucks, great runs, [zb] people.

Download the GV262 from the .gov website. Find the part about breaks. Ask if their policy outweighs the law.

Er maybe you need to read it too

A break is where the driver is able to recouperate as long as YOUR not doing ANY work you can be asked to have your break anywhere.

Context is key. And missed it out. This was class 2 fridge work. My drops involve me opening doors, climbing into the fridge and then moving pallets around using a pump trolley. Then sorting paperwork out with forklift driver.

So it’s not exactly me lying on sleeper cab in rdc for hours doing some artic work. Tomorrow will be interesting.

so you’re working not ! taking a break and drinking a cuppa , if pc plod or Mr Galaxy car are sitting out side watching you then tug you when you get out of gate it’s your neck

sammym:
Context is key. And missed it out. This was class 2 fridge work. My drops involve me opening doors, climbing into the fridge and then moving pallets around using a pump trolley. Then sorting paperwork out with forklift driver.

Then that isn’t a break and putting your tachograph onto the “bed” setting while you do that is illegal and although unlikely, could lead to you getting your licence revoked.

sammym:

So it’s not exactly me lying on sleeper cab in rdc for hours doing some artic work. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Let’s get this right.You said they expect you to take a break while it’s ‘being’ unloaded ( by someone else ? ).

Now you’re saying they expect you to book a break while ‘you’ personally are involved in unloading it ?.

Make your mind up.The latter is bleedin illegal,seriously so if you’re actually stupid enough to actually record work as break and you know it and then you say you’re going back there instead of telling the agency to do one and to find some other mug. :unamused:

It’s not a case of “context is key” - It’s a simple case of using the English language. “Taking a break while being unloaded” is not the same thing as booking a break while you’re doing the unloading!

So, you had a scare after driving too tired, you’ve hit a couple of objects so far, and you’ve been being treated like ■■■■ by your agency and by the firms they send you out to, so you decided to stop burning the candle at both ends and be sensible… then you decide against your better judgement to do another shift and get treated like ■■■■ again and then you’re going to go back again tomorrow for round two because you’re not a snowflake?

A firm who tells you to tip on break is obviously run by bellends.

Have you got a fetish for being treated like ■■■■ or something?

I hope you learn faster and better on your academic studies than you are doing as a driver.

I can’t tell whether you’re a really intricate fake or really struggling this hard with basic life.

slowlane:
So, you had a scare after driving too tired, you’ve hit a couple of objects so far, and you’ve been being treated like [zb] by your agency and by the firms they send you out to, so you decided to stop burning the candle at both ends and be sensible… then you decide against your better judgement to do another shift and get treated like [zb] again and then you’re going to go back again tomorrow for round two because you’re not a snowflake?

A firm who tells you to tip on break is obviously run by bellends.

Have you got a fetish for being treated like [zb] or something?

I hope you learn faster and better on your academic studies than you are doing as a driver.

I can’t tell whether you’re a really intricate fake or really struggling this hard with basic life.

Harsh but fair.

blue estate:

peirre:

harrawaffa:
20 miles off route then presumably 20 miles to get back on. 40 miles out of your way or the best part of an hour depending on traffic.

Maybe he fancied a cup of his favourite brand coffee :laughing:

OP Start at 3:30 card in, put it on “other work”, do your checks and out the yard at 3:45 or 15 mins after you put your card in. When you get back round up your finish time to the next quarter hour

just like what I did this morning due to having to run back in , card in 6am left 6:15 am got back to yard 7:30 am , moved a rigid out of a trailer space and then parked trailer in it , uncoupled and filled up diesel and adblu ,washed truck and then last but not least coupled up to Mondays trailer and filled time sheet in and took card out at 9am :smiley: managed to get 3 hours OT in for an 11/3 hour drive back :grimacing:

So you got 3hrs overtime for working on a Saturday ?

Tipping on break saves time. Why sit on a bay waiting to be tipped for an hour then leave the yard only to stick it on break for 45 :confused: Another case of thinking dvsa/vosa own and rule drivers lives. Anyone would think they have staff purely devoted to spying on drivers at delivery sites… :unamused:

AndrewG:
Tipping on break saves time. Why sit on a bay waiting to be tipped for an hour then leave the yard only to stick it on break for 45 :confused:

The OP did mention that he was required to tip the load himself with a pallet trolley and this obviously isn’t “taking a break” in any meaningful sense of the expression.

Yes Sam, you do get places that treat you like this. I’ve done a few on agency, but one or two shifts is it. Just don’t work for them again. Isotrack has done us no favours, but there’s plenty of work out there to choose from

Roymondo:
It’s not a case of “context is key” - It’s a simple case of using the English language. “Taking a break while being unloaded” is not the same thing as booking a break while you’re doing the unloading!

So we’ve had all this when if the OP had given all the correct info we’d have been down to , grow a pair and do it by the book or don’t go again :unamused:
Even dozy ain’t that stupid

AndrewG:
Tipping on break saves time. Why sit on a bay waiting to be tipped for an hour then leave the yard only to stick it on break for 45 :confused: Another case of thinking dvsa/vosa own and rule drivers lives. Anyone would think they have staff purely devoted to spying on drivers at delivery sites… :unamused:

Why do it? Because (hourly paid, as 99% of agency drivers are, and the majority of full timers) you end up with more money in your pocket.

Roymondo:

AndrewG:

Why do it? Because (hourly paid, as 99% of agency drivers are, and the majority of full timers) you end up with more money in your pocket.

Forgetting the fact wasting time and dragging the job out unnecessarily can cost employers, the same ones that pay a drivers wages each week and one of the downsides of paying by the hour. 90% of us are on PPL, its far more productive, earnings are higher for both drivers and the company. No one sits in a yard waiting to be tipped with the tacho on other work, its pretty pointless when it could be on break…

AndrewG:

Depends on the circumstances. Sometimes it’s in my favour to do a bit of work whilst it’s on break, other times it’s in my favour not to.

Edit: just seen you last post.

What I will add, if you’re not careful, you’re leaving yourself open to abuse from an unscrupulous employer.

AndrewG:

Roymondo:

AndrewG:

Forgetting the fact wasting time and dragging the job out unnecessarily can cost employers, the same ones that pay a drivers wages each week and one of the downsides of paying by the hour. 90% of us are on PPL, its far more productive, earnings are higher for both drivers and the company. No one sits in a yard waiting to be tipped with the tacho on other work, its pretty pointless when it could be on break…

I’m salaried, so you’ll not find me hanging around unnecessarily (in fact you’ll probably find me proactively getting out and talking to people - other drivers included - in order to negotiate delays to a minimum and thereby get me home as early as practicable). But agency drivers, especially those who are just covering the one shift, don’t run to the same rules (for perfectly understandable reasons - why go out of your way to get the day done in 10 hours when by adopting a more “relaxed” approach you can stretch it out to 12 or more hours and earn yourself another 25 quid?).

Harry Monk:
The OP did mention that he was required to tip the load himself with a pallet trolley and this obviously isn’t “taking a break” in any meaningful sense of the expression.

He might as well book it as other work and not bother with any break and get finished and go home earlier.IE falsification of records is a worse charge than just exceeding hours without sufficient break.Probably with the win win of more chance of putting the blame where it belongs on the employer for less come back against the driver in that case. :bulb:

AndrewG:

Roymondo:

AndrewG:

And that’s why the jobs [zb]ed you just can’t do it by the book