The working week of a Trailer Mate in the 60's

gingerfold:
Metal Box Westhoughton was a regular source of loads for Bolton and district hauliers, courtesy of Bolton Kay Street BRS depot, which always seemed to have plenty of surplus work. I remember the pallets of lids, I always thought they spoiled the symmetry of the load. Regular destinations from Westhoughton I remember going to with cans were Vale of York Canners at Wetherby, and Filtrate Oils at Leeds. Plus the frequent “emergency” inter-factory transfers of tin plate, Westhoughton to MB Carlisle being a regular. As a nation we now probably eat much less canned food with the growth of the frozen food market, so less tins are used. Heinz at Kitt Green has its own can making plant.

Carnation at Dumfries also had their own “tin shop” as the can making part of the plant was called and the Caledonian drivers we stayed with in Llamsamlet used to reload with tinplate back to Dumfries.

I don’t come on here often these days, only now and again. I found this topic on Page 3 and sorry to see it’s seems to be stuck, I hope Dennis doesn’t mind, in fact I’m quite sure he doesn’t, but I’d like to expand from ‘Strictly’ Trailer Boys to Transport Boys of any description.
As I started work, in 1962, with the Transport Division of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society, here are some of my memories.

© Alex Saville, November 2017
I started as a boy at the S.C.W.S. Transport Division at 23 Scotland St, Kingston, Glasgow, straight from school at 15.
The first job I was on was a 5 ton Bedford TJ on the ‘Commando’s’, so called, apparently, because during the war they went round in two’s so they could keep an eye out for thieves who might steal their load of foodstuffs.
These vehicles only worked in the Glasgow Area with Paisley and Renfrew added as well.
I can’t remember how many 5 tonners’ were on the Commando’s but I do remember most were Commers with 2 Bedford TJ’s (I was on one of these.) and 1 smaller Bedford which, I am not sure, was a TJ as well. All had boys but no luxuries like a heater.
In those days (1962) we worked a 5 ½ day week, we also worked Christmas Day as that was not a holiday in Scotland. My wages were £5 odds.
10 hours was the maximum you could work and that had two hours overtime at time and a half with an hour (unpaid) for your dinner, 7.30 am to 6.30 pm.

It took all morning to load the lorry out of the three sections of the food warehouse at Morrison Street. Butter first, round to the back of the warehouse for flour, cereals, margarine & fats, even chicken feed!
The third part of the warehouse gave us all the tinned stuff, finally, by dinner time all 5 tons had been handballed on and the load sheeted and roped.
The first Society I went to was Renfrew where my job, on arrival at the shops, was to enter the store and tell the staff the ‘Wholesale’ was there. On the way out I collected their sack trolley (We called it a ‘Barra’!)
The driver stacked the boxes, sacks of sugar (1 Cwt Paper or 2 ¼ Cwt Jute), barrels of Danish butter (1 Cwt) or NZ Butter (56Lbs or ½ Cwt) on the street and I slipped the ‘Barra’ underneath and wheeled it into the store. (When I was at School I was taught that Slavery was abolished, looking back at those weights I can see clearly they lied!!)
When everything was inside, the driver sheeted the load and I checked the delivery sheets with a member of staff. Then it was off to the next store and a repeat of the process. Some stores were so small that we had to carry everything inside.

Some mornings instead of loading for deliveries we would go to Cold Stores such as Lovell & Christmas in Soho Street, Bridgeton or Milnes Cold Store in Old Wynd in the City Centre for boxes of tinned frozen egg (For bakeries) or Connels in Maryhill for boxes of NZ cheese which were bloated by gases inside, these were hard to stack. Once we put a knife through the cardboard of one of these and the resulting stink ensured we never did it again!
On those occasions we would spend the afternoon loading 5 ton of Soup from the Soup Factory at Middlesex Street, Kinning Park. These boxes had wire round them and were hot as the soup was fresh made, the choice you made was 1/ Get your fingers cut by the wire or 2/ Get your hands burnt by the heat!
Some afternoons we delivered eggs round Thornliebank Co-op, at least the egg boxes didn’t harm you!
…………………………………………………………………………….
More later (Not a Threat!)
Alex

Good stuff.Looking forward to the next episode Alex.

It looks like the Brady Trailer Mate got the sack after the first trip… :frowning: :frowning:

gingerfold:
It looks like the Brady Trailer Mate got the sack after the first trip… :frowning: :frowning:

:smiley: Happen he couldn’t stand the pace Graham. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Staying at the “new” style digs at Penkridge was a bit different in the mid 60’s as there was a Bar and “caberet” on the premises along with the Café and single rooms, I think Silvertown Motel in East London tried to do a similar job but without the “entertainment” , you got that in the Queen of Denmark next door ! :blush: . Anyway, on the way up the “new” M5 we would pass various Welshmen in their new 180 LXB Atkis hauling the similar 20ton of steel we had on board, just kept them in “their place” :wink: they were no match for the 680 Power Plus once it got rolling and it was higher geared so it had the “legs” and in modern day parlence it was kept “lit”. I recall one snow covered winter evening, on our way to Penkridge, we pulled up outside the Police Station on Birmingham New Road going in towards Wolverhampton with the Power Plus boiling it’s bollox off, it had been using a bit of water for a while. Anyhow Eric says “off you go into the Nick and get some warm water”. :open_mouth: So in I go’s to the desk and explained to the Sarge what our predicament was and he directed me through a door to the side and down the corridor to a utility room where there was a mop bucket which I filled with warm water. However, I had to pass the “secure accommodation rooms” on the way and a couple of them had inmates. Well they started shouting " got any ciggies mate" and “what have you been up to” etc. I’d never been exposed to that sort of “craic” so it was a new experience I can tell you ! :wink: Anyway after two visits I thanked the Sarge and we cracked on ! Do you know the 680 hardly ever used another drop of coolant for the rest of the time I mated on it so it must have cleaned it’s pipes out with that boil up. We sometimes stayed at Durose’s Café at Newcastle-U-Lymme which was a dig some Drivers either loved or hated ! I always reckoned it as it was clean, a bit noisy sometimes when drunken Scotsmen staggered in at midnight but once I got me head down I was “dead”. The other dig we used was Kelmscot Café on the A6 near Chorley now that is where Eric would get into a card school with the manger Harry and other drivers, this resulted in an “all nighter” so the following mornings were interesting sometimes if we were just shooting back to Barrow empty after tipping tin plate at MB West Houghton. This is where Eric would let me take the wheel, “nice and steady like Brother we don’t want locking up”! talk about a “dog with two tails” ! We’d swap back again before we got near Barrow ! I recall once when we were tipping at MB in Aintree ( Breeze Lane I think it was) well it was the other drop where the trailer couldn’t be reversed in so it had to go on “the nose” well as I was dropping the drawbar which was on the scue so had a bit of tension it came off the hook and nipped the Sovreign ring I had on my right hand, ( $%^=!! 'ell). It took me two days to get the ■■■■■■■ thing off my finger ! Well previous to this happening “Harry The Plonk” at Kelmscot had been pestering me to sell him this curved Sov ring which I always refused and he was only offering a fiver and it had cost me £6 10s ! So the next time we stayed at Kelmscot the next week or it may have been a couple of weeks I had the ring in my pocket and said “Right H get yer fiver out you can have the poxy ring” he went straight to the till and got the fiver !! Dangerous things rings ! and I had blown £1 10s. :cry: Just an excerpt from the travails of a Trailer Mate in those far off days in the 60’s but I can recall some of them like it was yesterday ! If I can syc myself up for the next episode I have an interesting tale about loading ex ship on Liverpool docks with the load being split between us and a Pickfords outfit, Highwayman and four-in-line lowloader, what a bunch of wallies ! Enough until next time! Cheers Bewick.

Aye those were the formative days ! long gone but not forgotten ! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

© Alex Saville November 2017.

Saturday mornings were reserved for odd deliveries, a job we got regularly was taking round stinking cheeses wound in dirty bandages to Barlinnie Prison in the east end of Glasgow. We used to put folded down cardboard boxes on the floor and stick the cheese on top hoping the stink wouldn’t stay around too long. We didn’t sheet them even if it was raining!
Know as ‘The Bar–L’ or ‘The Big Hoose’, this was a well known guest house in the city for some of its citizens. Through the prison gates we had to stop to allow me to get out as only the driver was allowed entry. He told me to sit in the waiting room till he came back.
It must have been near visiting time as the room was packed, I was only in there two minutes when a warder stuck his head in the door and shouted for the Co-operative boy to come out.
He took me into his gatehouse on the other side of the entryway and asked me if I had ever been in trouble with ‘The Polis’, “And don’t lie to me as I’ll find out!” he said. I said no and that satisfied him, he told me that in future I should come into the gatehouse and not sit with ‘Them’, meaning the visitors.
I was to help myself to tea and toast and make myself comfortable, don’t think they would do that nowadays.
He then pointed to two prisoners cleaning the Gatehouse “Have a look at these two” he said “They think they are Fly Men but the Fly Men never see the inside of the jail. If their pals could see them now doing woman’s work they would be laughed out the pub!” I’ve never forgotten those remarks which I suppose are very true, even these days.

Some Saturdays we loaded for Monday with a complete load of butter and margarine for Paisley Co-operative Manufacturing Society, in my day, they never ‘Manufactured’ anything but in the past they must have done.
Even today I could go round where all those stores were blindfolded! Sad, isn’t it?
This was a large Society and required one of the 5 tonners and an Albion Underslung with about 3 tons to deliver to the P.C.M.S. stores, similar to this one for Grangemouth Co-op. (Photo copyright: - S.C.W.S./Albion Motors/ Albion Archive courtesy of Brian Craigie.)
The cab was coach-built by the S.C.W.S. at their Eastfield, Rutherglen, Coachworks to the same style as they used on their own Albion, in later years they adopted the Albion factory built cab.

This photo was taken in 1955 and shows part of the Grocery Warehouse, it still looked like that when I started in 1962, even the lorries were the same. The photo below shows two old lorries pulling out the Warehouse. Photos courtesy of Commercial Motor and thanks to Will Shiers for help.
Alex

Nice and nostalgic Alex,thanks,waiting now for the next episode. :sunglasses:

When I started at Macks hauliers in Silvertown in 1948 at the age of 16 my wage for a 48hr week was £3, 3 s 3p. and weighing around 8stone we used to load a lot of sugar out of Tate and Lyles. My legs used to wobble a bit carrying 2 cwt sacks and stacking them. The ratchet trailer brake was in front of the mates seat and Christ help you if you applied it too much when going downhill out of cog.

Alex, when I was on Inter City transport there was a lot of talk that Scottish CWS had put on the road two Foden 8 wheelers with ■■■■■■■ engines which would pull a house down, this was around 1959-60 at which time the ■■■■■■■ was a very rare beast, do you have any knowledge of these…Tony.

Suttons Tony:
Alex, when I was on Inter City transport there was a lot of talk that Scottish CWS had put on the road two Foden 8 wheelers with ■■■■■■■ engines which would pull a house down, this was around 1959-60 at which time the ■■■■■■■ was a very rare beast, do you have any knowledge of these…Tony.

Tony

The two ■■■■■■■ engine 8 wheelers were the Foden Dennis posted and a Seddon, I’ve got a photo of the Seddon and will look it out. The Foden shown here with a load of 2Cwt bags of flour from the S.C.W.S. Regent Mills, Glasgow, was driven by Sid ‘El Cid’ Black, it ended up burned out at the top of Shap sometime in the late 60’s or early 70’s.
By that time I was at BRS so I don’t know what happened to it.

Alex

The Commando 5 tonners were garaged when empty on the second floor of this building, accessed up a ramp which was tight and twisty. On the ground floor was a fleet of AEC & Bedford Coaches of the Majestic Coaches fleet, the S.C.W.S. had a number of coaches based in different places in Scotland.

All these photos are of the garage nowadays, full of various types of business’s.
How much longer it will be there is anybody’s guess.
Alex

[/attachment]

Howay Alex dinna fret yersel ! is this the shot of the Seddon you mean, which you kindly sent me a while ago. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Alex,
Is that a Leyland bumper it has acquired ?
Garry.

Dennis

That’s the one! It was driven by ‘Old’ Dan Forrester and when things weren’t right with the ■■■■■■■ it was sent to Darlington so ■■■■■■■ could sort it out. This was always on the way back from London complete with a load of tea.
I used to visit the late Maxie Wilson of Linwood, an old Co-op driver. Maxie told me a mate of his who worked at James Hemphill’s said to him that he didn’t know the Co-op did night trunks, Maxie said they didn’t.
In those days it was a two day journey from London for these vehicles, Old Forrester was running night and day and had a day at home that the Co-op knew nothing about. Fly old git!

Alex

Garry

Sorry, you’ve lost me. Which has the Leyland bumper?

Alex

Did those early ■■■■■■■ ( well new to the UK !) in the SCWS 8 wheelers give much trouble Alex ? and what sort of BHP were they 180 maybe ? Cheers Dennis.

Dennis it’s generally accepted that Seddon fitted the first UK produced ■■■■■■■ engines in 1958, into the SD8, DD8, and SD4 tractor unit models. They were 180 bhp. Of course US made ■■■■■■■ engines had been imported by some of the heavy haulage boys in the early 1950s; notably Wynns. I’ve recently been doing a bit of research into ■■■■■■■ UK and how they came to set up in the UK in 1955 / 56 at Shotts, not the first location you would probably have chosen it, being some distance away from potential customers such as ERF, Atkinson, Foden, Seddon etc. But they were persuaded to go to Shotts by a government foundation grant as it was a high unemployment area, Similarly they built a factory at Darlington in 1963, again an area of high unemployment at the time, and another grant was obtained from the government. The Darlington plant was a joint venture with Chrysler for the manufacture of the V6 and V8 engines, which were based on existing Chrysler designs. ■■■■■■■ UK must still have the ear of government departments; as recently as 2014 the received a £4.9 million government grant for research into improving fuel consumption and reducing exhaust emissions.