The Previous Generation

Punchy Dan:
This week has seen the foden down in South Wales Monday ,local Tuesday ,Scotland wed & Thursday from east to west and local Friday ,Huddersfield today :smiley:

There you go Dan, they were made to work and not for show! When you get home later you can put your togs in the washer, get theesen a beer from the fridge, and then bask in the knowledge that both appliances are probably made from recycled Scania cabs. :wink:

Pete.

pete smith:

[zb]
anorak:
Been looking through the 1994 video in the original post, to see what has happened to some of the vehicles since:

2:39 ERF YDH 826 H
No luck here either.

Morning Anorak,
YDH 826H, it is YDJ 828H and seems to be alive and well, credit for pic is Ronnie Cameron taken in 2011. It caught my eye as the reg you put was a Walsall number which is local to me! Cheer’s Pete

Wow! I got two letters/numbers wrong, and you still worked out which vehicle it was! Amazing detective skills.

It still looks well-kept- a credit to its keeper.

ERF-NGC-European:
Police driving instructors came fairly late to the table on this one and now permit other methods.

I was taught how to drive a car (in the late '70s) by my old man who had been a copper for 18 years. He had an Advanced Driving ticket from his time with the Force, and yes, he did teach me the ‘shuffle’ method. He didn’t practise it himself (“Don’t do as I do; do as I say” as he would sarcastically put it) but he knew that that was what the examiners at the time wanted. Mind you, I did take the test in his VW1302S, so no power-steering malarkey there.

What’s even odder is that when I took my HGV 1 test (in 1985 and a D2817) the MoT prac. exam still required the ‘shuffle’, even though my instructor had said to me “it’s all ■■■■■■■■, but that’s what they want”.

Whenever it comes to older British wagons, I often think of this bloke’s channel on youtube: youtube.com/channel/UCs_Z3N … i45KW0vGvQ

I daresay I’m well behind, but is he on here (TN)?

Here’s an S21 (with Foden 2-stroke): youtube.com/watch?v=DHlLepU3VME

[zb]
anorak:
Been looking through the 1994 video in the original post, to see what has happened to some of the vehicles since:

0:30 ERF RYA 684 R
Can’t find anything.

‘YA’ is a Somerset regn. so I wonder if it was ex-Wincanton.

Can anyone spot the similarities?..
…I realise it isn’t the exact same beast, but without doubt, it came from the same stable.