The panic buying starts....again

There’s 450 people a day die of cancer in the uk, yet Cancer Research isn’t government funded. The governments do not care about us. They are supposedly moving heaven and earth to find a Covid vaccine, why not the same for a cancer cure? This whole Covid thing is ■■■■■■■■ and a cover for something else

Oh really. :unamused:

Last year the costs of cancer diagnosis and treatment across the UK NHS, private and voluntary sector were estimated by the report at £9.4 billion. This is equivalent to an average of £30,000 per person with cancer. Of this total expenditure, 85% is funded by the NHS, 9% is funded privately and the remaining 4% is funded by the voluntary sector.

The report says that over the next decade the costs of cancer care in the UK are expected to rise to £15.3 billion in 2021, which is equivalent to an average of £40,000 per person with cancer. This will mean a 62% increase in the UK’s overall expenditure on cancer diagnosis and treatment, which is an increase of £5.9 billion compared with the current expenditure. By 2021, the NHS is predicted to need an extra budget of £5.2 billion to meet the need (a 65% increase on the current budget), the private sector will need an extra £531 million (also a 65% increase) and the voluntary sector will need an extra £131 million (a 22% increase). The increase in the voluntary sector is predicted to be lower than other sectors as it does not have the same technology and treatment costs as the other sectors.

jakethesnake:
There’s 450 people a day die of cancer in the uk, yet Cancer Research isn’t government funded. The governments do not care about us. They are supposedly moving heaven and earth to find a Covid vaccine, why not the same for a cancer cure? This whole Covid thing is ■■■■■■■■ and a cover for something else

Last year the costs of cancer diagnosis and treatment across the UK NHS, private and voluntary sector were estimated by the report at £9.4 billion. This is equivalent to an average of £30,000 per person with cancer. Of this total expenditure, 85% is funded by the NHS, 9% is funded privately and the remaining 4% is funded by the voluntary sector.

The report says that over the next decade the costs of cancer care in the UK are expected to rise to £15.3 billion in 2021, which is equivalent to an average of £40,000 per person with cancer. This will mean a 62% increase in the UK’s overall expenditure on cancer diagnosis and treatment, which is an increase of £5.9 billion compared with the current expenditure. By 2021, the NHS is predicted to need an extra budget of £5.2 billion to meet the need (a 65% increase on the current budget), the private sector will need an extra £531 million (also a 65% increase) and the voluntary sector will need an extra £131 million (a 22% increase). The increase in the voluntary sector is predicted to be lower than other sectors as it does not have the same technology and treatment costs as the other sectors.

That’s all very nice but why not put £15.3 billion extra into finding a cure? Then you wouldn’t need all the new testing facilities, care facilities, more NHS staff and even more drugs to keep people alive for a few more years. Do you really think once they budget this money out that they don’t see it back in another way? How much money would be lost by the big corporations if cancer was cured?

Night-and-day:

jakethesnake:

That’s all very nice but why not put £15.3 billion extra into finding a cure? Then you wouldn’t need all the new testing facilities, care facilities, more NHS staff and even more drugs to keep people alive for a few more years. Do you really think once they budget this money out that they don’t see it back in another way? How much money would be lost by the big corporations if cancer was cured?

They have made big progress with many types of cancer over the last 40 years. Many who would have died are still alive through a lot of hard work research and big cost.
I am afraid it ain’t as simple as you make out.

While they are at finding a cure for cancer, why don’t they just go the whole hog and create a pill of eternal life? I mean why spare the horses on that one? (sarcasm - the lowest form of wit, I know, I can’t help it, I was born like this)

Just to add a bit more fuel to the fire…
The amount of money spent on Alzheimers and the host of other neurodegenerative diseases we’re currently studying, dwarfs cancer spending into insignificance. Sorry I don’t have any convenient reference material, it was from a seminar I sat through some years ago.

Incidentally, people say “cancer” as if it was just one thing, there’s a multitude of different types, each resulting from different causes, and each with massively different treatment regimes (where treatment is even possible).

The only thing you can really say about all cancers is that they results from a cell or group of cells which were supposed to die (according to a process known as apoptosis, a.k.a. programmed cell death) but failed to do so, and are now either growing or dividing uncontrollably.

Night-and-day:

Because a lack of money isn’t the issue, there’s plenty of money to do the research for a Covid cure. They’ll still need the testing and care facilities because it takes time to carry out testing of a new candidate drug to make sure it actually does something and do human trials to ensure that what they’ve created doesn’t kill people.

If cancer was cured big corporations wouldn’t lose anything because people will still get cancer, it’s just there will be a drug for it.

robroy:
Out of curiosity…what do you reckon this ‘something else’ is?

Personally I think it is likely to be a practise run for a biological attack from China expected in the not too distant future.

I certainly do not believe that it is a proportionate response to a virus which has killed 0.00165% of the population.

Harry Monk:

robroy:
Out of curiosity…what do you reckon this ‘something else’ is?

Personally I think it is likely to be a practise run for a biological attack from China expected in the not too distant future.

I certainly do not believe that it is a proportionate response to a virus which has killed 0.00165% of the population.

You would be better off not thinking and wearing a mask, keeping a 2 metre distance and washing your hands to be honest.

And stay home and save lifes it isn’t that hard.

Oh no sorry your right biological attack from China, dress rehearsal etc etc - have a look at places like Russia, for example where there are bodies all over the hospital corridors if its just a scam to give record profit levels to a couple of British companies (that’s in answer to another post).

Never heard so much nonsense.

Jimmy McNulty:

And how does a truck driver do that? Nintendo TruckSim?

Harry Monk:

Jimmy McNulty:

Practice the other stuff? Hands face space?

I’ve managed it easily, genuinely I come into close working contact with nobody after leaving my house until I get back into my house. I’d take that over working in a shop any day. Plus it suits my antisocial nature :stuck_out_tongue:

Jimmy McNulty:
have a look at places like Russia, for example where there are bodies all over the hospital corridors if its just a scam to give record profit levels to a couple of British companies (that’s in answer to another post).

Worldometers states that there have been 28,235 deaths from Covid-19 in Russia, so around a third fewer than in the UK in a country with over twice the population (146 million).

Harry Monk:

Jimmy McNulty:
have a look at places like Russia, for example where there are bodies all over the hospital corridors if its just a scam to give record profit levels to a couple of British companies (that’s in answer to another post).

Worldometers states that there have been 28,235 deaths from Covid-19 in Russia, so around a third fewer than in the UK in a country with over twice the population (146 million).

From June
dw.com/en/coronavirus-russi … a-53887981
Putin and his Gov are not renowned for openness and honesty.

Speaking of openness and honesty amongst dangerous and untrustworthy states…
Did somebody tell me that China have miraculously got their Covid situation relatively under control in comparison to other countries?..(or is that more b/s put about by those revelling in all this stuff.)

IF it IS in fact true,…who would have thought it eh? :neutral_face:
You could even think it was all planned. :bulb:

robroy:
Speaking of openness and honesty amongst dangerous and untrustworthy states…
Did somebody tell me that China have miraculously got their Covid situation relatively under control in comparison to other countries?..(or is that more b/s put about by those revelling in all this stuff.)

IF it IS in fact true,…who would have thought it eh? :neutral_face:
You could even think it was all planned. :bulb:

Remember how the Chinese locked down earlier? Blocked roads, police patrols etc.
Very tough, but effective. Now they have an effective test system euronews.com/2020/10/12/cor … discovered
No need for miracles.

Best and worst countries. Guess which group the UK falls into?

movehub.com/blog/best-and-w … responses/

June
theguardian.com/world/2020/ … l-ferguson
Locking down earlier could have saved lives.
Today
helensburghadvertiser.co.uk … scientist/
Locking down earlier could have saved lives. And an earlier shorter lockdown would cost the economy less too.

toonsy:

Harry Monk:

Jimmy McNulty:

Practice the other stuff? Hands face space?

I’ve managed it easily, genuinely I come into close working contact with nobody after leaving my house until I get back into my house. I’d take that over working in a shop any day. Plus it suits my antisocial nature :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 :laughing: A man after my own heart: Antisocial is the new social (when distancing is taken into account)

Sadly, I still have to work as a keyworker, no WFH for me. Yes, the virus is real and so easy to pass on. I have had to deal with some of those victims that have died of it. It’s not some government conspiracy to keep you at home or to make you buy tons of toilet paper/Stella either or to target 5G transmitters, the sh*t is real!

As Humans, we sail very close to the wind sometimes and viruses and diseases are right on our doorstep without us knowing about it.

Sadly, it is the minority that doesn’t follow the rules and think it won’t affect them, they then become ‘breeders’ and pass it onto others and so the spread continues - the message is a simple one, follow the rules, wear a mask, don’t eat bats and wash (especially if you’re a student! Filthy animals).