The joy of "Tramping"

Only 3 things I care about when nighting out.

1 - the night heater works and stays on constant. That means no nights out in any Merc (unless someone’s figured out a way to stop them turning off after a while?)
2 - a clean and private shower facility somewhere enroute.
3 - signal for internet dongle.

Everything else I can work around. I do intermittent fasting already so needing somewhere/something to eat isn’t a concern for me.

Mick Bracewell:

1 - the night heater works and stays on constant. That means no nights out in any Merc (unless someone’s figured out a way to stop them turning off after a while?)

If my night heater is on all night I always wake up with something that feels just like a hangover, so mine goes on as and when I need it.
My initial thought when I wake up is trying to remember where I had the drinks…, then feeling cheated by having the headache without the initial pleasure. :smiley:

I only ever felt the ‘joy’ on the last leg home. In fact, possibly eurphoria. Job done…get home.
Although, like somebody above…summers evening swim in Bassenthwaite Lake was very memorable.

Mick Bracewell:

Turn the ignition key into position 1. Ignition isn’t on but the radio will stay on and so will the night heater if you so desire.

robroy:

Mick Bracewell:

If my night heater is on all night I always wake up with something that feels just like a hangover, so mine goes on as and when I need it.
My initial thought when I wake up is trying to remember where I had the drinks…, then feeling cheated by having the headache without the initial pleasure. :smiley:

That has all the hallmarks of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Have you got/considered a battery powered CO tester/alarm? Also useful when staying in rented holiday accomodation.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Good point from Roymondo, He beat me to it. On one hand you want heat but you also need ventilation. Lots of caravanners and some sailors have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would think that once tucked up in this Country you wouldnt really need a heater on all night.

Roymondo:

robroy:

Mick Bracewell:

That has all the hallmarks of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Have you got/considered a battery powered CO tester/alarm? Also useful when staying in rented holiday accomodation.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Nah they can’t all be faulty, first night heater I had was in the 80s, that and every other one has done the same to me…I’m just a fragile delicate soul,.a bit like a thouroughbred racehorse, I need tenderness. :laughing: :unamused:

the maoster:

Mick Bracewell:

Turn the ignition key into position 1. Ignition isn’t on but the radio will stay on and so will the night heater if you so desire.

A very useful tip TM ! Thanks.

alamcculloch:
Good point from Roymondo, He beat me to it. On one hand you want heat but you also need ventilation. Lots of caravanners and some sailors have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would think that once tucked up in this Country you wouldnt really need a heater on all night.

The combustion side and the heat distribution side of a truck night heater are two totally different systems, completely isolated from each other and you cannot possibly get carbon monoxide poisoning from running a night heater. Any ill effects from running a night heater all night will be caused by dehydration.

Harry Monk:

alamcculloch:

The combustion side and the heat distribution side of a truck night heater are two totally different systems, completely isolated from each other and you cannot possibly get carbon monoxide poisoning from running a night heater. Any ill effects from running a night heater all night will be caused by dehydration.

Had you written “You should not get CO poisoning from running a night heater” I’d agree with you. But you didn’t say that, so I shall simply observe that I have personally dealt with an incident aboard a canal boat where the Eberspacher heater (essentially the same as fitted in any number of lorries) had been incorrectly maintained, leading to death by CO poisoning of one of the occupants (and hospitalisation of the others). As far as I am aware, inspection of the night heater (and repair of same) doesn’t figure in the DVSA maintenance/testing/inspection regime and so - quelle surprise - many operators simply ignore it.