The £1.5m bump

damoq:

yourhavingalarf:
Pingle Lane…

Just hunting around with Google maps, is the closest I can get to the bridge shown in the pics. But, it’s such an obvious no-no from the main road that makes me doubt it.

Anyone know exactly which one has been clonked?

bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla … e-47251322

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep if you go right to the end of the road (a long long way) it has a 7.5t weight limit on it.

google.co.uk/maps/@52.87041 … 312!8i6656

Now up to £2.6m!

Apparently driver was on a divert with M6 southbound shut due to a RTA and only had a car sat nav. :unamused:

Sand Fisher:
Now up to £2.6m!

Apparently driver was on a divert with M6 southbound shut due to a RTA and only had a car sat nav. :unamused:

So he must have left at 15, then he’s got a long way without thinking he’d better pull up and check the route seeing as he’s following a car sat sav. Probably A34 was moving slow if it was shut for an accident so the sat navs live traffic routing took him that way.

Sand Fisher:
Now up to £2.6m!

Like all rail…

Projects, the origional quote is always about half the total of what the real cost is. HS2 and the Channel Tunnel being prime examples.

DickyNick:
So he must have left at 15, then he’s got a long way without thinking he’d better pull up and check the route seeing as he’s following a car sat sav. Probably A34 was moving slow if it was shut for an accident so the sat navs live traffic routing took him that way.

It’s actually…

A good little short cut in a car. But it’s clearly marked as a 7.5 ton limit way before he got to the bridge. Having said that, he could have reversed about quarter of a mile and spun it, gone back and saved someone a £2.6 million bill.

How do you do that much damage “unknowingly”?

Ian58:

Like the pictures above, Gist would be close to collapse if their drivers kept doing things like that. :grimacing:

There’s a bridge over a river near where I live that has a similar curve at either side as that one here, it probably gets the wall knocked down at least twice a year by the tail end of artics because it’s really tight. There’s no weight limit or length limit or unsuitable for a HGVs though so unless they make it more suitable then ■■■■ em.

Sand Fisher:
Now up to £2.6m!

Gist don’t allow sat nav’s to be used they give you a map

I often drive over a narrow twisty bridge . The lorries and buses all manage with care ,but cars bash into it on a regular basis. I once asked the repair crew if they could just fix it with LEGO ,they were not amused.

Picklehoffer:
How do you do that much damage “unknowingly”?

The physical damage probably runs into many thousands, - truck and bridge parapet - but its the train delays that rack up the bills.

Although a big rail supporter the modern regime is a lawyer’s dream. Your train arrives at this bridge and effectively the service is gubbed. Sixty other trains are gubbed too. That is a hellova lot of ‘delay’ minutes. And who is it all attributed to? The firm whose driver hit the bridge. Mega liability.

animal:

Sand Fisher:
Now up to £2.6m!

Gist don’t allow sat nav’s to be used they give you a map

Really? Not at Motherwell they don’t.

If you look at Google streetview, you can clearly see that this bridge is hit on a regular basis:
goo.gl/maps/1t7G2GyiPPx