tanker companies

Am I the only one who used to enjoy driving our one and only Scammell with the gate change. In those days we kept our own motor but if for some reason yours was off the road, the Scammell was the spare. Once you got used to it it was fine, you had to think a bit but I enjoyed it. I was only a young fella at the time and now all these years later I can’t for the life of me remember what engine it had in it.

grumpy old man:
Am I the only one who used to enjoy driving our one and only Scammell with the gate change. In those days we kept our own motor but if for some reason yours was off the road, the Scammell was the spare. Once you got used to it it was fine, you had to think a bit but I enjoyed it. I was only a young fella at the time and now all these years later I can’t for the life of me remember what engine it had in it.

Most of the Scammell Units with the gate change that I came across at Ancliff/BLT had Leyland 600 or the 680 power plus .The 600 had one long air cleaner the 680 had two oil bath type ,They could make the 600 go like a 680 by putting a small hole in the Venturi to Governor pipe :open_mouth: and not all of them had front axle breaks :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
The load shifter was usually a radial compressor 3 cylinder under the near side of the cab driven from the side of the gearbox

My father - Gerry Grimes, and his brother Harvey worked for
Smith & Robinsons out of Trafford park in the 70s and 80s. Ged
then worked for himself as Gerry Grimes Tankers. Anyone remember
them? Have a few pics but am unsure on how to upload them.

Rider200:

grumpy old man:

Most of the Scammell Units with the gate change that I came across at Ancliff/BLT had Leyland 600 or the 680 power plus .The 600 had one long air cleaner the 680 had two oil bath type ,They could make the 600 go like a 680 by putting a small hole in the Venturi to Governor pipe :open_mouth: and not all of them had front axle breaks :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
The load shifter was usually a radial compressor 3 cylinder under the near side of the cab driven from the side of the gearbox

I remember watching my Dad using the gate-change box in his Highwayman when I went with him on Mobil :smiley: . I remember reading somewhere that when you went for a job with Siddle C.Cook that he had a Highwayman with the gate removed & you did a road-test in it to see if you knew your way round a Scammell box! Regards Chris

Here I am tipping at Mobil, Coryton, early 90s.

This 1 lost!

Rider200:

adr:
With the sleeper & TIR plate did this one go across the water, anyone know where?

Maybe the tank did but not the unit (I think :bulb: )

I remember those Wincanton wagons with TIR plates loading Styrene in BP Chemicals Baglan Bay in the 70s.

Mini-tanks going out to our customers.

Browns Transport from Ash Nr Sevenoaks, Kent.

IMG_NEW.jpg

I drove for browns in the 90s, must say it was one of the easiest jobs I have ever had,
Ship out empty to Northern France ,load glucose for the uk ,tip and ship back out empty to do it all again ,the odd occasion you would load glucose back out of London for Paris,Belgium or holland .

Photos of Stephen J Tabners latest additions to his fleet two 63 plate Volvos.Notice he has done away with the spots & bullbars on these lastest two.
S J Tabner.jpg
Stephen J Tabner.jpg

gazza1970:
I drove for browns in the 90s, must say it was one of the easiest jobs I have ever had,
Ship out empty to Northern France ,load glucose for the uk ,tip and ship back out empty to do it all again ,the odd occasion you would load glucose back out of London for Paris,Belgium or holland .

Nice :smiley: , I’d have some of that myself!!! Regards Chris

S

v

M

IMG_NEW.jpg

f

adr:
f

hello adr , is that one of Reliance tankers , Manchester ? thank you Trevor .

tastrucker:

adr:
f

hello adr , is that one of Reliance tankers , Manchester ? thank you Trevor .

Hi Trevor, I don’t know to be honest, I put it on wondering if anyone could tell me who/where? Regards Chris

Classic Dutch :smiley: complete with Michelin Man etc :sunglasses:

IMG_NEW.jpg

Another from same Company, clean & smart :smiley:

IMG_NEW.jpg