Taking your children with you

I doubt my lot would let us take anyone out with us, shame really as my youngest is 15 so not really got much of his childhood left, blows my mind that he’ll be in college come September. :open_mouth: :frowning:

Every Saturday and every school holiday I was out trucking,when my dad moved in to management I still used to go and sit in office or go out on local jobs with other drivers…
I can take my little girl with me but it’s the sites I go that are the problem…
Can’t beat a Saturday morning job taking my daughter with me…
It’s a bit of bonding time and she is doing what very few kids will experience these days ,

From age 3 I went out with my Dad every day I could. I learned to read before I went to school because of maps and road signs. Saw docks, farms, quarries, steel mills, textile mills and the length and breadth of the country. Fantastic childhood.

I started going out on trips with my dad from the middle sixties, going to collieries and out on the coal deliveries. I learned a lot from him and his mates who passed on their experience to me as well.

I learned to navigate this country as I grew older and I used the tips and experiences to my advantage when i took up driving for a living. I have seen and appreciated some of the stunning scenery this country has to offer and come across some real hidden gems!

My children have been out with me many many times in the past and shown them the sights and sounds of this country, some of which they still recall today after all these years.

My son is a qualified fitter and has a real talent with the spanners, he has also got his class one licence. I tried hard to disuade him from going on the road but he didnt listen - just like I didnt with my dad!

The one thing I do remember when I was younger, was going with my dad to his works where he was setting his wagon up on a Sunday ready for Monday morning, I along with other drivers children would meet - it was a sort of social event for us swopping stories/experiences as wellas learning about the ‘mechanics’ of the wagons and trailers.

Pennineman:
I along with other drivers children would meet - it was a sort of social event for us swopping stories/experiences as wellas learning about the ‘mechanics’ of the wagons and trailers.

And now the kids can just come on here and learn it all from the comfort of their own bedrooms, they can even be cheeky to the grown-ups and make stories up without any fear of retribution…

That’s progress for ya!

God help us all.

Reef:

Pennineman:
I along with other drivers children would meet - it was a sort of social event for us swopping stories/experiences as wellas learning about the ‘mechanics’ of the wagons and trailers.

And now the kids can just come on here and learn it all from the comfort of their own bedrooms, they can even be cheeky to the grown-ups and make stories up without any fear of retribution…

That’s progress for ya!

God help us all.

Isn’t that you that you are describing ? You have never in a million years ever had a driving job and you know it!!!

My lad and step lad came out with me but I made them go and get apprenticeships in order to keep them away from driving. One was a brickie and the other was in store management. Both of the pricks are driving now…! :unamused: :grimacing:

nomiS36:
My lot are alright with it but my 2 aren’t all that interested anymore. My lad will come with me but only on day runs.
My dad didn’t do a lot of trucking although did do a Middle East run once but I do remember going with him when he did the odd run in the uk. I think it was this that made me want to do it right from an early age. The fact the haulage industry [zb] themselves about kids going out truckin for the day has brought on the alleged driver shortage and caused them problems.
Also, as youngsters we learnt all about the job by watching our (mostly) dads so when we started out we had half an idea of what the job entailed. These days we are getting people that just end up doing it because they get the chance of a ‘free licence’ and see it as a way to earn a living, nothing more nothing less! Not saying they’re wrong and those of us that see it as a little more (a way of life) but having an interest in your job is always going to make you better at it, no?

You’re right with that, I’ve been all over Europe with my old man, knew what the job was about. Like you say, watching and learning. I still know how every fiddle going with a 164 :laughing: All the little things too, do X this way, it makes it easier, think about this before you do Y. Knowing how to couple up a trailer and understanding a range change splitter before I could reach the pedals gives you a head start on the ‘free licence’ lot.

Like EB said in the other thread, the tales from back then were a great laugh, would I be a driver now if my Da had been some agency useless goon who stuck to the rules and did nothing other than a 52mph trunk or a day run round the doors? Not a chance.

A.

caits.png
tires.pnglol …my daughter did one big trip with me to lower BC over the crowsnest pass on ltl.7yrs ago …lets just say it was the worst trip ive had in 20+yrs …first ran into a landslide or more to the point through it …bust two tyres squared wheels,had to sit a day for repairs,then against the gun for rest o run…then my backload was half filled stillages with fuel with lifting hooks on the sides !!! ,welding unit ,stillages 75% full of hydro oil, 50gallon drum acid mix for ■■ knows what and shipper refused to admit it needed labels …office told me shipper knows best grossed out 250 ks under gross( was told it would be 2tns under :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: ) and half fuel tanks GRRRR. sooo on way home 2 tyres on other side o the trailer blew out and a stillage snapped my straps and put a hook through the wall :blush: Got back in a day late to drop trailer had big words in the office (who admitted it needed placarded)was mentaly drained and stressed out. She thought the mountains were great a trip of a lifetime :slight_smile: but daddy swears a lot. put pics on to show twas true …daddy look at the rocks coming down the mountain oooooffffff like a ship under sail up on 2 wheels so to speak …work never said a thing about damage …just if I was ok.

When I drove for Swifts in Northampton I often took my wife and children with me, then my son when I drove for Transfleet or on the show work. Drivers over here often have their children with them, it’s something the companies I have worked for here have all been strictly against any passengers whatsoever. My daughter is truck mad and would love to come if she could but alas it can’t be done, when my truck is at home on the driveway she will just sit in the cab or walk into the sleeper area for a while.
Looking at the safety side, I don’t think I could live with myself if I were involved in an accident and my child was killed or injured.

Pat Hasler:
Looking at the safety side, I don’t think I could live with myself if I were involved in an accident and my child was killed or injured.

Around 1992ish took my daughter with me in my old F7 on a day run to Newark,at Sleaford i had a truck pull out in front of me at the Cheerio Cafe, i had to brake hard, she left the seat and smashed her face into the dash (no seatbelts). Luckliy it was no more than a split lip but after that…never again! My ex went nuts too which added to the guilt…

When my eldest lad was 10 and in the truck I ran into the back of a broken down container lorry just after going round a roundabout at Lichfield on the A5, I either went out via the windscreen or the door and came too laying in the road. but my son was trapped by the dash caving in on his legs, and yes it was my fault and still beat me up even after all these years. It never helped either that after a lot of persuasion his mum let him come out with me again only to have a Bells whisky lorry come around a bend in roadworks when they were dualling the A90 and side swipe my truck, got it home and let my lad off to walk home the last 1/4 in case his mum saw it but she came ou of the village shop just at that time and went mental at me, we weren’t even in the truck when he hit us but sitting on the grass verge cos the traffic was at a standstill. Another thing was I had one crate at the back of my motor as I’d changed the delivery order round and it of course broke the ropes and smashed open on the road … complete Spanish shotguns everywhere that were destined for the BSA factory near Wallsall, notes said wooden gun butts !!

I know accidents like that happen mate, and I thought hard about it prior to taking the kids.
The way I see it is if things that maybe could happen but more than likely will not happen, ever stopped you from doing stuff, you would never leave the house, so I just tend to go with it, weigh up the odds, and hope for the best…on any situation.

As for the ‘insurance’ excuse/■■■■■■■■ ban, it would not have stopped me from doing it, but that maybe says a lot about me. :bulb: …for OR against.

used to go with my dad in his tipper on school hols back in the sixties,alternately with my sister,usually an Atkinson 8 legger.happy daze :sunglasses:
took all my kids (separately) in my truck on several occasions,but not much chance of taking my grandson these days.was never a problem in Mountsorrel bowl taking kids,or dogs…but must have changed now i would think

No kids of my own but Ive taken nephews and a niece out at different times. Once a nephew had to stay in security guards gatehouse. (Spain by the way) He was quite impressed by the guards holstered handgun. He asked if it was real? Not much call for toy guns for grown ups I said. Apparently he was well behaved.
With another nephew went to Genoa docks. 3 of us there. Stripped sides out of tautliners to offload crates of machinery. The dockies told my 13 year old nephew (brother of tother one) to get on a forklift and lend a hand. So, he climbs onto big truck, I get perched next to him and off we go. Took off a couple of crates a good ten or more feet long each. Never would have happened UK then, and I doubt itd happen in Italy today either.

Back in my early days, I used to see kids a lot out with their relatives…sadly i couldnt do it as none of my family were in transport, and i ended up with 5 girls but only 2 of them were interested in travelling, and they did end up coming down to Turkey with me at one time.
Today there are many restrictions on kids going onto a site, and also companies banning kids from their trucks…but at the end of the day thats who its down to, and it depends on your work.

Pat Hasler:

But for balance, there was a 15 year old boy and his grandfather killed in a collision between a car and a train in West Sussex yesterday, the man was taking his grandson to a football match. Had they both stayed at home then the incident wouldn’t have happened, but you can’t wrap children in cotton wool forever. I accepted that there was an increased risk in taking my boy away with me, but an acceptable risk in exchange for the experiences he would have.

Would I feel bad had something terrible happened to him? Absolutely, it would prey on my mind all day, every day for the rest of my life.

Do I regret having taken him with me? Not for a New York minute.

Harry Monk:

Pat Hasler:

But for balance, there was a 15 year old boy and his grandfather killed in a collision between a car and a train in West Sussex yesterday, the man was taking his grandson to a football match. Had they both stayed at home then the incident wouldn’t have happened, but you can’t wrap children in cotton wool forever. I accepted that there was an increased risk in taking my boy away with me, but an acceptable risk in exchange for the experiences he would have.

Would I feel bad had something terrible happened to him? Absolutely, it would prey on my mind all day, every day for the rest of my life.

Good post.

I also brought all the kids separately all over Europe and they were 12, 14 and 15 the eldest is now 40 and they all still talk about their trips at times because they had a ball

Harry Monk:

Pat Hasler:

Love The Eagles reference there Harry :sunglasses: … (Or was it just Henley? )
Take it easy. :wink: :smiley: