Tacho trouble

it makes me wonder what on earth they teach you on the drivers cpc these days, the first rule of thumb is never pull the card, the DVSA are not concerned that you miscalculated and went over your time a bit on the way to your yard loaded and no one in the office to advise, so thought it best to secure the vehicle, and getting collected is not an option as your still working until you get back. one of my dcpc training periods was conducted by a young lady, and at the tea and biscuits some of the older people on the course were, what will she know, ive been driving for donkeys years, what a breath of fresh air she was, very knowledgeable, every session different and interesting, the only fools asking stupid questions were the same fools that muttered at the start, i was a believer that there are no stupid questions if you do not know the answer but these seasoned drivers were still stuck in the days of three log books and a fiver in their licence. rant over.

cav551:
I wonder how, having told you that they won’t collect you, the company are going to feel when they arrive to collect the vehicle and find it clamped? :smiley:

Couple of hundred quid release fee vs potentially a few thousand fine + possible curtailment of ‘O’ licence…?

I really don’t get things like this. Having only been driving a few years now, even I know that pulling the card is a big no-no (even for myself still running on analogue where you could pull a trick or two if you were daft enough, not condoning such action btw). In dvsa eyes this is fraud as you’re obviously attempting deception. As said, much better to run over you’re time and have an explanation. Even if you’d stopped, waited a few mins then carried on you could have stated that there was nowhere to park and you ran over to find a safe secure parking place. They would not be overly happy with this but would still be 100 times better than driving with no card in, as that really makes you look like you’re trying to fiddle/hide something.

DAFty113:
Hi all, so I have been an idiot.
I pulled over, yanked the tacho and drove home.

Yeah, enough people have already confirmed that was the biggest mistake

DAFty113:
Last week I ran out of working hours (still plenty of driving hours left) a few miles away from base.

So it was a WTD issue not a Drivers Hours issue: DVSA have been clear, they don’t usually enforce WTD/RTD, assuming your EU hours breaks were in order, for the sake of 15 mins WTD, 99.999% of their guys really aren’t going to care.

Also, if you could have legitimately claimed “exceptional circumstances” ie in the case of a road accident hold up, vehicle breakdown etc, you could legitimately have gone over the more crucial EU Drivers Hours by an hour if your were on your way back to the yard to do a full weekly rest, as long as you do an annotated printout

Zac_A:

DAFty113:
Hi all, so I have been an idiot.
I pulled over, yanked the tacho and drove home.

Yeah, enough people have already confirmed that was the biggest mistake

DAFty113:
Last week I ran out of working hours (still plenty of driving hours left) a few miles away from base.

So it was a WTD issue not a Drivers Hours issue: DVSA have been clear, they don’t usually enforce WTD/RTD, assuming your EU hours breaks were in order, for the sake of 15 mins WTD, 99.999% of their guys really aren’t going to care.

Also, if you could have legitimately claimed “exceptional circumstances” ie in the case of a road accident hold up, vehicle breakdown etc, you could legitimately have gone over the more crucial EU Drivers Hours by an hour if your were on your way back to the yard to do a full weekly rest, as long as you do an annotated printout

Not necessarily WTD.
The OP hasn`t been too clear, but could have been near end of allowable working day (13 or 15) or could have been on 6th day and running against weekly time, all of which are EU hrs rules.

Never pull your card pal… either run over and write an explanation on the printout or nightout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk