Supermarket Deliveries Soul Destroying

Morrisons - reverse onto bay following risk assessment provided. Put tacho on break whilst being unloaded by supermarket staff

Sainsburys - reverse onto bay following risk assessment provided. Either push cages to back door to be sorted out by supermarket staff or put tacho on break and enjoy breakfast in the cafe whilst being unloaded by supermarket staff

M&S - reverse onto bay following risk assessment provided. Put tacho on break whilst being unloaded by supermarket staff.

Of course not being a proper supermarket driver and doing all three of the above on a day rate I realise I have made a big error and actually my tacho should be on other work and I should then pull off the bay and have a 45, if I was doing the job properly.

No no no, proper supermarket driver has it on POA if being tipped then has their 45 up the road, gotta keep the WTD average down!!! :smiley: :smiley:

dieseldog999:
if you are used to thinking for yourself,and see yourself something other than a paid from the neck down cannon fodder,then that type of employment will not suit you.

I used to be the first thing but now I am just counting down the days until I retire and basically the less productive work I am required to do the better. I often see more efficient ways in which a job could be done but I never say anything because basically all I want to do is ■■■■ off home at the end of the day, and it’s above my pay grade to take decisions or offer feedback.

Harry Monk:

dieseldog999:
if you are used to thinking for yourself,and see yourself something other than a paid from the neck down cannon fodder,then that type of employment will not suit you.

I used to be the first thing but now I am just counting down the days until I retire and basically the less productive work I am required to do the better. I often see more efficient ways in which a job could be done but I never say anything because basically all I want to do is [zb] off home at the end of the day, and it’s above my pay grade to take decisions or offer feedback.

Really, Harry?

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself.”

No! Someone has hacked Harry`s account !

Jimmy McNulty:
Morrisons - reverse onto bay following risk assessment provided. Put tacho on break whilst being unloaded by supermarket staff

Sainsburys - reverse onto bay following risk assessment provided. Either push cages to back door to be sorted out by supermarket staff or put tacho on break and enjoy breakfast in the cafe whilst being unloaded by supermarket staff

M&S - reverse onto bay following risk assessment provided. Put tacho on break whilst being unloaded by supermarket staff.

Co-op -
Drive into car park
Drive between parked cars to try to straighten up
Wait till a fiat 500 finishes waiting on a space becoming free as two pensioners fill their boot up 1 tin of beans at a time
Move forward 3 feet
Wait while a bmw reverses out of a space without looking
Put truck into reverse
Wonder where the 30 cars in your mirror that wernt there 5 seconds ago came from
Wait till theyve finished wondering where to go
Start reversing up to the loading door.
Stop while cars enter the car park
Wonder if maybe the flashing hazard lights, white reverse light and 200db reverse beeper arent enough of a clue to the drivers as to your intentions who keep coming without stopping
Stop just before loading door as there is an audi parked in your way
Look at staff standing at back door without bothering to help and shake head
Get into position
Try to lower tailgate
Swear and go back to side locker, retrieve anderson leads and plug them in
Lower tail lift
Push heavy cage up uneven surfaced hill as back door staff watch without offering assistance
Ask staff sarcastically if they like you to put the stock on the shelf as well when they moan about you dumping the cage 3 yards inside the door
Walk away without moving cage
Swear a lot inside trailer as cages of stock for other stores keep getting in your way
Swear even more when they keep rolling to one side because the car park is on a slope
Repeat till all cages are delivered
Get delivery notes signed by reluctant staff member still moaning he had to move the cages from the back door
Get back in cab
Squeeze past Vauxhall Astra thats been parked 6 feet from front of truck
Leave car park
Swear, park up, get out cab and unplug anderson leads
Repeat for all stores
Vow never to do co-op deliveries again

That’s more like the pits we all know… ^^^^

All this stuff about “getting unloaded by staff whilst you book off a 45 on the bay” - doesn’t take into consideration that

(1) Staff will go and hide
(2) Managers won’t let you take a break on their bay.
(3) Depot Managers will issue you with WTD infringements if you don’t get enough breaks in

What happens too when you actually need to take that 45 and you’ve only got half a load with the staff unusually mob-handed about unloading you quick for another “more important” delivery expected imminently? :unamused:

But to the upside and credit of the firm - If you don’t get docked for any breaks taken over and above 1hr per day - then fit them breaks in, slide them in sideways, press that mode button like you’re trying to nudge in the jackpot…

How do supermarkets compare with hourly rates these days?

I worked at Tescos on agency November 2011-May2015 where the pay for the weekday nights I was doing - only went up from £10.00 to £10.75ph in that time. I understand the same agency is paying £12.75ph now, so still behind the curve by the looks of it.

Sainsburys - ■■■■■■ me about, so I won’t be working there again. Worked there for a while out of the 20/20 estate depot back around the turn of the century… They got me to sit and wait for 3 hours in an armchair/sofa - and THEN book you on only once a run and vehicle was found for you. There lies the path to an 18 hour shift paid 14 hours and outside legal. NO thanks! Relentless pressure to go on the umbrella their agency as well. Can’t remember if it was Driver Hire or some other firm with “Driver” in the name… (Driver Screw, Driver Pile, Driver Shot, Driver Drive)

Asda - Did a supply shift going into them for Lenham, before I talked myself out the door for refusing to drive a G Reg vehicle with more bits busted off it than a sat-on Airfix kit…

Morrisons, Coop, and Iceland - you had to be self-employed, and their rates were around £13ph during the same period I was at Tescos. I did some shifts at Morrisons on their PAYE rate of £11ph during this period, but not the other two in the end - because they were on the wrong side of the river to get to, and the houly rate didn’t seem worth two lots of dartford crossing toll and the petrol to get there in rush hour traffic in the evening…

Aldi/Lidl seem to be paying £16ph these days BUT “80% of your work is not driving” I’m told. Bit of a put-off to someone who likes the driving, doesn’t mind the unloading but hates hanging about listening to what others on here call “RDC Crap”.

Waitrose, where I am at present - £12ph Days, £14ph Nights, £15ph all day Saturday, £18ph all day sunday, right-through rates, PAYE. “Wot’s Not-to-Like” - I’m thinking… Usually get 10-12 hours in a shift, which is my optimum amount, and don’t mind if it goes over - 'cos I’m getting paid all hours, after all. Got three figures for my “Christmas Pressure Bonus” to boot! :grimacing:

I’m actually looking forward to some quieter weeks coming up - having been pretty much flat out since late November. :open_mouth: :blush:

Winseer:

All this stuff about “getting unloaded by staff whilst you book off a 45 on the bay” - doesn’t take into consideration that

(3) Depot Managers will issue you with WTD infringements if you don’t get enough breaks in

What happens too when you actually need to take that 45 and you’ve only got half a load with the staff unusually mob-handed about unloading you quick for another “more important” delivery expected imminently? :unamused:

But to the upside and credit of the firm - If you don’t get docked for any breaks taken over and above 1hr per day - then fit them breaks in, slide them in sideways, press that mode button like you’re trying to nudge in the jackpot…

I worked at Tescos on agency November 2011-May2015 where the pay for the weekday nights I was doing - only went up from £10.00 to £10.75ph in that time. I understand the same agency is paying £12.75ph now, so still behind the curve by the looks of it.

Sainsburys - ■■■■■■ me about, so I won’t be working there again. Worked there for a while out of the 20/20 estate depot back around the turn of the century… They got me to sit and wait for 3 hours in an armchair/sofa - and THEN book you on only once a run and vehicle was found for you. There lies the path to an 18 hour shift paid 14 hours and outside legal. NO thanks! Relentless pressure to go on the umbrella their agency as well. Can’t remember if it was Driver Hire or some other firm with “Driver” in the name… (Driver Screw, Driver Pile, Driver Shot, Driver Drive)

Asda - Did a supply shift going into them for Lenham, before I talked myself out the door for refusing to drive a G Reg vehicle with more bits busted off it than a sat-on Airfix kit…

Morrisons, Coop, and Iceland - you had to be self-employed, and their rates were around £13ph during the same period I was at Tescos. I did some shifts at Morrisons on their PAYE rate of £11ph during this period, but not the other two in the end - because they were on the wrong side of the river to get to, and the houly rate didn’t seem worth two lots of dartford crossing toll and the petrol to get there in rush hour traffic in the evening…

Aldi/Lidl seem to be paying £16ph these days BUT “80% of your work is not driving” I’m told. Bit of a put-off to someone who likes the driving, doesn’t mind the unloading but hates hanging about listening to what others on here call “RDC Crap”.

Waitrose, where I am at present - £12ph Days, £14ph Nights, £15ph all day Saturday, £18ph all day sunday, right-through rates, PAYE. “Wot’s Not-to-Like” - I’m thinking… Usually get 10-12 hours in a shift, which is my optimum amount, and don’t mind if it goes over - 'cos I’m getting paid all hours, after all. Got three figures for my “Christmas Pressure Bonus” to boot! :grimacing:

I’m actually looking forward to some quieter weeks coming up - having been pretty much flat out since late November. :open_mouth: :blush:

Is there anyone you haven’t worked for

The-Snowman:

Jimmy McNulty:

Co-op -
Drive into car park
Drive between parked cars to try to straighten up
Wait till a fiat 500 finishes waiting on a space becoming free as two pensioners fill their boot up 1 tin of beans at a time
Move forward 3 feet
Wait while a bmw reverses out of a space without looking
Put truck into reverse
Wonder where the 30 cars in your mirror that wernt there 5 seconds ago came from
Wait till theyve finished wondering where to go
Start reversing up to the loading door.
Stop while cars enter the car park
Wonder if maybe the flashing hazard lights, white reverse light and 200db reverse beeper arent enough of a clue to the drivers as to your intentions who keep coming without stopping
Stop just before loading door as there is an audi parked in your way
Look at staff standing at back door without bothering to help and shake head
Get into position
Try to lower tailgate
Swear and go back to side locker, retrieve anderson leads and plug them in
Lower tail lift
Push heavy cage up uneven surfaced hill as back door staff watch without offering assistance
Ask staff sarcastically if they like you to put the stock on the shelf as well when they moan about you dumping the cage 3 yards inside the door
Walk away without moving cage
Swear a lot inside trailer as cages of stock for other stores keep getting in your way
Swear even more when they keep rolling to one side because the car park is on a slope
Repeat till all cages are delivered
Get delivery notes signed by reluctant staff member still moaning he had to move the cages from the back door
Get back in cab
Squeeze past Vauxhall Astra thats been parked 6 feet from front of truck
Leave car park
Swear, park up, get out cab and unplug anderson leads
Repeat for all stores
Vow never to do co-op deliveries again

You tell this is a genuine post as that’s a coop delivery summed up in a T

My dads bigger than your dad ■■■■■■

Do whatever suits you and dont worry about what the next deivers doing.

Crack on drivers

I love Snowman’s description of Coop delivery, very similar to Kwik Save, a job i’d still be doing if they hadn’t been bought out by Budgens which ruined the job completely.

What’s wrong with all of what he describes, we were on a high hourly rate, proper rates too none of this extra 5p an hour after 75 hours at basic rate ■■■■■■■■, the job took as long as it took during which time the clock never stopped ticking.

The lorries were perfect, little Scanny 3 series day cabs with windows all round, the most perfect urban delivery tractor ever invented, as maneuverable as a Terberg.
Couldn’t get in?, no trouble find canteen make tea, eventually you’ll get it, then push cages to back onto tail lift, lower lift and they’ll take them from you, course being a gentleman if there’s only one lady available for the back door you’ll help her with the cages so one doesn’t tip on her, some shops were roadside delivery so back in the days of the fair maidens still dressing nice the best drops of all.
Soul destroying?, not a bit of it, yes some bods couldn’t cope with say 3 drops London :unamused: , so a kind chap like me would swap my straight tip 9 hour run to ease their pain :wink: , they’d go off happier (well as much as happy ever applies to perma depressives) and i’d have a 13 or 15 on me clock card by the end of the day :sunglasses:

cgscott:
My dads bigger than your dad [zb].

Crack on drivers

Sore head this morning?

I don’t work directly for the supermarkets, my employer has the contract to do deliveries for them so

1)no, I don’t have special windows to make it easy and eliminate the blindside reverse

2)no, it’s not all worked out for me with route maps and instructions on how to do everything, I navigate there and use my eyes and brain when I get there just like any other driver doing a job

If the above was true then yeah might get boring but to be fair all jobs with trucks get boring after a while

Jimmy McNulty:

cgscott:
My dads bigger than your dad [zb].

Crack on drivers

Sore head this morning?

Definately. Reading all the drivers moan about driving from north to south non stop slagging of the rdc group making good money for very little driving or labour.

Bigtruck3:

Winseer:

Is there anyone you haven’t worked for

Was thinking the same [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

m.a.n rules:

switchlogic:

adam277:
How do you guys cope with it?

I jacked it in. As you say, soul destroying

off thread but are you still on for m/d or gone back on the coaches…?

Still with Mansel driving coaches on days off (when law permits!). We shall see what spring brings.

Harry Monk:

dieseldog999:

I used to be the first thing but now I am just counting down the days until I retire and basically the less productive work I am required to do the better. I often see more efficient ways in which a job could be done but I never say anything because basically all I want to do is [zb] off home at the end of the day, and it’s above my pay grade to take decisions or offer feedback.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats the job in a nutshell there mate.
youve resigned yourself to the fact that its on a par with homer going into the power plant.