Strapping of blocks on a flat

That ■■■■■■■■ the front won’t do anything but bend thr rave or come off.

If you don’t have any boards and the instructions are to sheet where needed, sheet the load front to back and if you know anything about sheeting you would have folded them so you don’t need to fully open them but enough to drop to the rave. I’d say you’d get away with ropeing in between packs to pull them into the sheet but the do hardship would say noooooo.

If your doing more loads like this get some boards made up there always handy either way .

That ■■■■■■■■ the front is just securing my wooden chocks, I hadn’t done any securing of the load at that point.

I’ve seen some other guys pulling flats with a couple of stacks of pallets up against the headboard then the load is all butted up close behind so as to push the weight further back. I’ve got a rear lift unit so that’s no good to me. Had the move the 5th wheel forward the other day so I could get some steering control.

I’ll get some corners made up as I’m really not happy with the way they want it done at present. Thankfully I’m not doing long trips for these guys at the moment so will grin and bare it for the time being.

Thanks for your comments.

If you feel that you need to carry the load as directed than as already stated, minimum edge boards with strap over each pack and cross strapped front and rear, also net, NO NET NO GO.

If you have concerns don’t argue but raise those concerns with your boss and the people expecting / instructing you, point out the failings of the securing system and unsuitability of the vehicle, make sure they share the responsibility for your actions.

If you gamble with that load or any load today, whatever the length of the journey, you will be expected to do it again tomorrow and again until it becomes the norm, then one day yours and probably someone else’s luck will run out.

Securing the load is a serious part of the business

Extract from Code of practice for safe loading of vehicles

1.2 Legal requirements and common sense require that all loads carried on vehicles are secured,
whatever the journey. This is to protect the people involved in loading, unloading and driving
the vehicle, together with other road users and pedestrians.

2.5 The basic principle upon which this Code of Practice is based is that the combined strength of
the load restraint system must be sufficient to withstand a force not less than the total weight
of the load forward, so as to prevent the load moving under severe braking, and half of the
weight of the load backwards and sideways

take a look at this

www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr272.pdf