Stop Start & Idle Hands

Tude:
Mr Orwell would be so pleased of his prophecies…A good obedient public reporting others, because those who leave their engines running are killing our children via pollution, are we really even discussing this?

How did we get here?

People with cameras everywhere, trying to get pictures of the most minor of misdemeanours, video of the same from the same busybodies and encouraged to send it to the ‘State’ be it district, county, regional, national…So many authorities needing revenue and so many willing, obedient, well intentioned idiots to do their dirty work for them.

Jesus.

Not far off east german Stasi days now are we, indoctrinated fools itching for a pat on the had from an apparatchik for being a good citizen of the state by grassing anyone not keeping to The Party line.
How long till ''i vass only obeying orders comrade" :unamused:

Tude:
Mr Orwell would be so pleased of his prophecies…A good obedient public reporting others, because those who leave their engines running are killing our children via pollution, are we really even discussing this?

How did we get here?

People with cameras everywhere, trying to get pictures of the most minor of misdemeanours, video of the same from the same busybodies and encouraged to send it to the ‘State’ be it district, county, regional, national…So many authorities needing revenue and so many willing, obedient, well intentioned idiots to do their dirty work for them.

Jesus.

Ain’t that the truth man! This is what the world is coming to. Are people gonna stand outside other people’s houses on a cold morning and video them warming up the engine while making a coffee or something :neutral_face:
My truck has an idle cool down that will idle the engine for several minutes before shutting down after I take the key out to let the turbo cool or whatever it does so does that make me as guilty! Modern vehicles have low idle emissions anyway, probably tractors more so as they take Adblue. . . Here in Canada, people leave their cars running while they go into Walmart and do the weekly shop when it’s 30 below and when I park up, my truck doesn’t shut down all week!

May as well take me to the gallows now :unamused:

Trickydick:

wide-load85:

Trickydick:
Oil doesnt just stop doing its job if you take away the feed.

errr yes it does, especially on fast moving parts such as turbo shaft bearings. Tell you what, block the oil pump in your engine (taking away the feed) and start her up… you’ll soon see that oil needs feeding constantly hence why we have a pump and many galleries in the engine to maintain supply

Some people are so funny, an engine and its shell bearings are not the same as a turbine shaft.

I can tell you a truck engine will run for several minutes at idle with zero oil in the sump before it starts to nip up!

So, for two or three minutes the “oil is still doing it’s job”, then in the 4th minute it fails to do so, and the engine seizes?
The oil in both engines and turbos needs to be at pressure to do it’s job correctly.
A drip feed isn’t enough.
And look at the size of the oil feed to a turbo: it is a relatively large pipe as the oil is acting as a coolant to the critical surfaces, as well as a lubricant.
Shutting down a hot engine immediately after a full power run is probably going to do it some damage. Shutting down an engine that has been working lightly in traffic is not going to do any damage. Any damage won’t happen immediately but the expected working life will be reduced.
Repeated use of a starter motor on an older design of engine could be harmful. The auto start/stop designs should take all of that into account at the design stage, old designs didn’t.