Standard of English

Waiter uno pinto of Beero pour fav oreo mucho gratiass :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pierrot 14:

the nodding donkey:

pierrot 14:

the nodding donkey:
Now that Brexit is only a formality away, and the uncertainty for foreign nationals regarding their rights to remain in Britain after we brick up the tunnel is increasing, should a proper command of the English language be part of such decisions?

T
Vraiment !!, le jour que tu peu aller Ă  l’étranger et parle la langue de ce pays comme le gents qui vie la, ca sera un miracle, parce-que les Anglais sont vraiment des paresseux et ils croix que tout le monde doit parler l’anglais. Les visiteurs qui vont Ă  la Grande Bretagne, soit visiteurs ou routiers essai de faire le mieux possible et ils rĂ©ussites.

I’ll let you Google translate ND.

Daar heb ik Google niet voor nodig. U heeft gelijk, de Engelsen spreken bijna nooit een andere taal. Maar ik heb het niet over bezoekers, of buitenlandse chauffeurs die hier een lading bezorgen. Van hun kunnen we natuurlijk niet verwachten dat ze vloeiend Engels beheersen. Maar als men in een ander land gaat wonen en werken, moet men wel de taal leren.

Totally agree ND and well done on the Nederland . But my point was about the visiting people, they do manage to put themselves across, a lot better than the Brits do when they visit another country, it’s always a case of "why should I learn their language, everybody should speak English.

^
This
Most brits abroad seem to think everyone should speak/understand English many actually living here in Spain know nothing but hola and gracias.
I speak what i would call fluent Spanish but still get the p1ss taken on my pronunciation of certain words and its sometimes easy to insult someone if it doesnt come out right
 :grimacing:

pierrot 14:

the nodding donkey:

pierrot 14:

the nodding donkey:
Now that Brexit is only a formality away, and the uncertainty for foreign nationals regarding their rights to remain in Britain after we brick up the tunnel is increasing, should a proper command of the English language be part of such decisions?

T
Vraiment !!, le jour que tu peu aller Ă  l’étranger et parle la langue de ce pays comme le gents qui vie la, ca sera un miracle, parce-que les Anglais sont vraiment des paresseux et ils croix que tout le monde doit parler l’anglais. Les visiteurs qui vont Ă  la Grande Bretagne, soit visiteurs ou routiers essai de faire le mieux possible et ils rĂ©ussites.

I’ll let you Google translate ND.

Daar heb ik Google niet voor nodig. U heeft gelijk, de Engelsen spreken bijna nooit een andere taal. Maar ik heb het niet over bezoekers, of buitenlandse chauffeurs die hier een lading bezorgen. Van hun kunnen we natuurlijk niet verwachten dat ze vloeiend Engels beheersen. Maar als men in een ander land gaat wonen en werken, moet men wel de taal leren.

Totally agree ND and well done on the Nederland . But my point was about the visiting people, they do manage to put themselves across, a lot better than the Brits do when they visit another country, it’s always a case of "why should I learn their language, everybody should speak English.

Quite. That is why I asked the question about those foreigners who wish to stay here once the Brexiteers lock the gates. One can not expect a visitor to speak the language to any high standard.

blue estate:
Waiter uno pinto of Beero pour fav oreo mucho gratiass :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can you do that in other languages too ■■? :smiley:

I got ‘A’ level English, but a lot of bloody good it done for me.
I drive a truck for a living. :unamused:

robroy:
I got ‘A’ level English, but a lot of bloody good it done for me.
I drive a truck for a living. :unamused:

Our female driver at work is a uni graduate with a degree in management but prefers driving

blue estate:

Evil8Beezle:

axletramp:
Are these qualifications a thing of the past now? I was unaware.
But seeing as I have neither will I be sent back home too?

O levels got replaced by GCSE’s back in 1988 :blush:

I got and E in English language and a F in English litt GCSE but got a C in maths

I think they only did ‘CSE’ at my school (early 70s) but I didn’t bother turning up that much and missed all the exams. Obviously if I had bothered I would have been straight ‘A’ pupil. :smiley:

pierrot 14:

blue estate:

Ober, een pilsje alstublieft.

Einen Großbier bitte.

Garçon, une bierre silvousplait.

Obrigado, Uno Cerveza por favour.

un cwrw os gwelwch yn dda

the nodding donkey:

pierrot 14:

blue estate:

Einen Großbier bitte.

Is that can I have a beer please in welsh at the bottom ?

blue estate:

the nodding donkey:

pierrot 14:

blue estate:

Einen Großbier bitte.

Is that can I have a beer please in welsh at the bottom ?

Ie.

(We’ll overlook your lack of punctuation for now.)

Pierrot 14 wrote:

Vraiment !!, le jour que (tu peuX) Vous pouvez [ I’m not related to you] aller Ă  l’étranger et (parleS) vous parlez la langue DU pays comme les gentS qui viVeNT la, (ca sera) Ce Serait ? un miracle, parce-que les Anglais sont vraiment des paresseux et ils croiENT que tout le monde doit parler anglais.

“Les visiteurs qui vont Ă  la Grande Bretagne, soit visiteurs ou routiers essai de faire le mieux possible et ils rĂ©ussites.”

I am extremely rusty, but this just didn’t seem right and it probably still isn’t. I can’t be bothered to mess around trying to find accents.

Soit is third person singular present subjunctive which is why I don’t know what you are trying to say here or what tense you intended. Are the visitors coming: Venir = ils viennent? Present or going: Aller = Ils vont? Present. :confused:

cav551:
Pierrot 14 wrote:

Vraiment !!, le jour que (tu peuX) Vous pouvez [ I’m not related to you] aller Ă  l’étranger et (parleS) vous parlez la langue DU pays comme les gentS qui viVeNT la, (ca sera) Ce Serait ? un miracle, parce-que les Anglais sont vraiment des paresseux et ils croiENT que tout le monde doit parler anglais.

“Les visiteurs qui vont Ă  la Grande Bretagne, soit visiteurs ou routiers essai de faire le mieux possible et ils rĂ©ussites.”

I am extremely rusty, but this just didn’t seem right and it probably still isn’t. I can’t be bothered to mess around trying to find accents.

Soit is third person singular present subjunctive which is why I don’t know what you are trying to say here or what tense you intended. Are the visitors coming: Venir = ils viennent? Present or going: Aller = Ils vont? Present. :confused:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=romans+go+home&oq=roman&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j0l2.3290j0j4&client=tablet-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I find that whenever I am asked about my standard of education, embellishment seems to make itself known

Given my username ican hardly remain silent. When at school I dropped French classes as soon as I could. Spilt milk but now wish I’d continued them. I can now have a reasonably good conversation in French but in no way is it fluent or correct. Spanish and Portuguese I’m not so good but can make a bit of chat. German mostly the basics of food, numbers, directions. Arabic even less but u can manage polite greetings please thank you etc. Same in Polish and Czech.
That’s my background, the same as many UK drivers workng in Europe.
Because of that background I’m probably more patient with foreigners trying to speak English. So long as they’re understandable, what harm if the accent or grammar is imperfect? (Sorry) Those who complain about poor English used by foreigners and are of the ‘Oi Manuel! Dos beers’ type really do wind me up. We can be lazy because English is the world’s language of commerce and computers. That doesn’t mean we should be.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

i fink ur rite m8

bac@u

Apparently not. Big business (Uber) disagrees. " It threatens the livelihood of thousands of (immigrant) drivers. " In other words they matter more than the thousands of native drivers who can’t afford to work for Uber.

cityam.com/259861/uber-takes 
 h-language

Most countries have language exam in order to obtain citizenship, but not for PR(permanent residency). Its a good idea to e certain extend, a lot of foreigners I see living here for years either dont want to learn English or simply cant because they only interact with foreigners at work or outside work.
To be honest my English(american pronunciation) is becoming crappier with speaking to people who cant understand me, I had to talk like to a child so they can understand me. That ■■■■■■ me off sooo much, but its life, what can you do, look for better job and different social circle.
I want to interact and befriend with locals, but its hard, because of work and because of British attitude throughs immigrants post brexit, yes I can sense it, you might not see it but British people have changed. Very visible in South Yorkshire, Scotland(Scottish people) way friendlier and nicer. Now thats my current experience and opinion, don’t hate me for it :wink:

P.S. Evil has been very nice and friendly to me, kudos for that mate! Though my English might ■■■■ him off, after all Americans “■■■■” the English language :smiling_imp:

P.P.S. Im gonna pass the English test, as I have done before, but my wife will struggle, what do we do then, separate families and deport people for not speaking English properly■■?

Dolph:
Most countries have language exam in order to obtain citizenship, but not for PR(permanent residency). Its a good idea to e certain extend, a lot of foreigners I see living here for years either dont want to learn English or simply cant because they only interact with foreigners at work or outside work.
To be honest my English(american pronunciation) is becoming crappier with speaking to people who cant understand me, I had to talk like to a child so they can understand me. That ■■■■■■ me off sooo much, but its life, what can you do, look for better job and different social circle.
I want to interact and befriend with locals, but its hard, because of work and because of British attitude throughs immigrants post brexit, yes I can sense it, you might not see it but British people have changed. Very visible in South Yorkshire, Scotland(Scottish people) way friendlier and nicer. Now thats my current experience and opinion, don’t hate me for it :wink:

P.S. Evil has been very nice and friendly to me, kudos for that mate! Though my English might ■■■■ him off, after all Americans “■■■■” the English language :smiling_imp:

P.P.S. Im gonna pass the English test, as I have done before, but my wife will struggle, what do we do then, separate families and deport people for not speaking English properly■■?

ND may have started this thread as a bit of a windup, but now it’s turned into a proper topic I’ll say my peace

It’s sad that probably most EE people feel a certain amount of hostility at times, and all I can say to them is to use that as a marker to ignore those, as they are stupid ignorant dicks! Most of us realise that the state we find ourselves in, where we have a glut of labour and things like wages are suffering is not of their making. And if the shoe was on the other foot, a lot of us would be over in the poorer parts of the EU if the wages and standard of living was better than here. Who wouldn’t?

Sadly though, some don’t have the brain capacity to realise this, and take out their frustration on our EE brothers and sisters. I guess it’s a natural reaction that some may not be able to resist, and to a degree we are maybe all guilty of it. But if people want to get ■■■■■■ at someone, try looking at our leaders, as they are the ones that opened the floodgates
 Was that wrong? Who knows as we also need to accept that the world is a global market now, and if your goods and services are not competitive, you won’t have any exports, and a country can’t survive on imports alone!

So it’s all very well saying wages have suffered, but given the fact things are now global, was the way we were going sustainable? I doubt it. However I do think things have gone too far, and lead to the backlash that is BREXIT. But is trying to pull up the drawbridge the solution? Again I doubt it, as that isn’t going to change the fact we are now heavily over populated and everything is suffering. To me, I see the real problem as the employers exploiting the situation, treating staff like disposable items once they’ve served their purpose. And again who is to blame for that, the EE migrants or our own governments with agency employment and bollox ‘flexible’ zero hours contracts, that were sold to us as a good thing for both employer and employee. :laughing: (Yeah right
 :unamused:)

So if people want to get ■■■■■ with people, try looking to our politicians and leave the EE nationals alone. Like the rest of us, they are just trying to do the best they can for themselves

Do I think those that come to settle in this country should learn the language and integrate? Yes, and I’d expect to have to do exactly that myself if I wanted to settle in another country. I’d learn the language, interact with the local, especially the ‘ladies! :wink:’ and try to make any resentment felt towards me unjustified. And that is where some EE’s possibly let themselves down, as I can’t deny that if I meet an EE that’s been in the country for a few years and can’t really speak the language, I do feel some resentment towards them. Possibly not necessarily because they are foreign, more because I view them as a lazy ignorant arses! :imp: But does that make me racist or xenophobic? I don’t think so, as I think the same of natives that I view as lazy pig ignorant twonks

P.S. I like your Yank accent Dolph, it’s funny & something I can take the ■■■■ out of! :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:

Dolph:

ND may have started this thread as a bit of a windup, but now it’s turned into a proper topic I’ll say my peace

It’s sad that probably most EE people feel a certain amount of hostility at times, and all I can say to them is to use that as a marker to ignore those, as they are stupid ignorant dicks! Most of us realise that the state we find ourselves in, where we have a glut of labour and things like wages are suffering is not of their making. And if the shoe was on the other foot, a lot of us would be over in the poorer parts of the EU if the wages and standard of living was better than here. Who wouldn’t?

Sadly though, some don’t have the brain capacity to realise this, and take out their frustration on our EE brothers and sisters. I guess it’s a natural reaction that some may not be able to resist, and to a degree we are maybe all guilty of it. But if people want to get ■■■■■■ at someone, try looking at our leaders, as they are the ones that opened the floodgates
 Was that wrong? Who knows as we also need to accept that the world is a global market now, and if your goods and services are not competitive, you won’t have any exports, and a country can’t survive on imports alone!

So it’s all very well saying wages have suffered, but given the fact things are now global, was the way we were going sustainable? I doubt it. However I do think things have gone too far, and lead to the backlash that is BREXIT. But is trying to pull up the drawbridge the solution? Again I doubt it, as that isn’t going to change the fact we are now heavily over populated and everything is suffering. To me, I see the real problem as the employers exploiting the situation, treating staff like disposable items once they’ve served their purpose. And again who is to blame for that, the EE migrants or our own governments with agency employment and bollox ‘flexible’ zero hours contracts, that were sold to us as a good thing for both employer and employee. :laughing: (Yeah right
 :unamused:)

So if people want to get ■■■■■ with people, try looking to our politicians and leave the EE nationals alone. Like the rest of us, they are just trying to do the best they can for themselves

Do I think those that come to settle in this country should learn the language and integrate? Yes, and I’d expect to have to do exactly that myself if I wanted to settle in another country. I’d learn the language, interact with the local, especially the ‘ladies! :wink:’ and try to make any resentment felt towards me unjustified. And that is where some EE’s possibly let themselves down, as I can’t deny that if I meet an EE that’s been in the country for a few years and can’t really speak the language, I do feel some resentment towards them. Possibly not necessarily because they are foreign, more because I view them as a lazy ignorant arses! :imp: But does that make me racist or xenophobic? I don’t think so, as I think the same of natives that I view as lazy pig ignorant twonks

P.S. I like your Yank accent Dolph, it’s funny & something I can take the ■■■■ out of! :grimacing:

Great post as always Evil, thanks. My believes are as yours 100%.

I think the standard of basic grammar has fallen,
Whilst an effort is made by many foreigners, our own officials make such a poor effort.

I do chuckle whilst out on the road;

Example: sign says, USE BOTH LANES

How exactly? Swerve side to side?

Should it not read. USE EITHER LANE. ?

WELL DRIVEN. Where is that well?

Should it read. DRIVEN WELL?

DANGER LORRIES TURNING

What is a danger lorry?

I could go on & on, but I think I may be turning into Victor Meldrew :imp: