Something to see if you are driving NorthEast @3am in May

UKtramp:
That indeed is Impressive Winseer, I love hearing other peoples life experiences, just shows how fate or a wrong decision in retrospect can alter a persons dilemma. Sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. I too wanted to be an Egyptologist to which this day I am still completely fascinated by. I agree with your philosophy of always learning and not standing still. Once you do stop wanting to learn, then my opinion is that you have lost all hope and life has got the better of you. Like many drivers, I am sure there are those that are happy with their lot and others who are silently bitter at their lost opportunity. For me my only regret was not going to Bristol University where I secured a place at the veterinary school. Reason being, I got married young and had to find work local as I got a mortgage and it seemed the right thing to do. How wrong a decision I made. Although now I am now a consultant in a very different field.

Some of my old schoolmates ended up working in the city, which I did only briefly before being fired for arguing the toss with the chief trader @ Kleinwort Benson at their Fenchurch St office tower late in 1986… (I worked on the office computer kit, rather than the banking stuff) Funny thing was, I argued that the firm should “hedge more” in the markets, rather than just run ragged this (so far) “Big Bang” bull market that was in full swing at the time… This was not long after the Challenger disaster, where I suggested that less emphasis should be put on “Hardware Manufacturing Firms”, and more on the domestic fronts… I had the last laugh the following year of course, when Mr Chief Trader got fired himself for losing tens of millions on the dollar book, thanks to not even bothering to have any short positions at that time in even the most weak companies… There were many similarities between the Dot-com bubble of 2000 and the aftermath of the crash in 1987… People were being forced into selling decent stocks that turned a healthy profit - to meet their margin calls… Those who had “hedged” had some extra money to buy up some of these bargain basement, but otherwise sound firms at the bottom of the market - but not those idiots who thought the bull market would last forever, with “money spent on hedge positions” such as having a few Put Options in one’s portfolio - considered to be “wasted money” following the conventional wisdom of the time. I was considered an upstart, since “Banking” wasn’t my job here, I was supposed to keep the VDU’s in working order, service the modems, re-wire moved about kit, etc… Most of the staff I was operating on behalf of - were Japanese, but the guy who fired me was of the Golders Green set, who wasn’t having any of my “backseat driving” - even though I’d not passed my car test as of yet at that point!

Some of those mates actually in my class got kept on at these banks doing jobs ranging from “settlements” to “corporate law”, ending up working for outfits like Merril Lynch, Lehmans, and Bear Stearns - all now gone of course, where these “Masters of the Universe” were out on their collective arses back in 2008 during the credit crunch… What does one to to follow up a job with a massive salary like working in the city?

People needed to put money by whilst earning the big bucks, but a lot of people just ended up hopelessly in debt, with their houses ending up being re-mortgaged that had almost been paid off, had they not lost their job and original mortgage first obtained in 1985-6 all the way back when we all started out as “Equals”, before taking seperate paths as we did…

The biggest thing I liked about driving a Truck when I first started to do it - was that you get a better view of the world from “high up in the cab”, and I actually found driving to be quite relaxing (out-of-town at least) whereas others tell me it is a total chore… :open_mouth: I’ve had a couple of transport managers that I got on with (rare!) tell me that I’m wasted in this job, but what else is there for someone like me to pay the bills? Recession after Recssion, always “years of austerity”, always “Times are 'ard”… What better thing to do than “take a recession-proof job”, where just the hourly rate is in contention not getting another job in itself.

I’d recommend 2 books on “how to deal with a severe downturn”, that being Bob Beckman’s effort “The Downwave” and sequal “Into the Upwave” written 1988 shortly after the crash… Special attention needs to be paid to the last chapter titled “2020 Vision” where he makes some surprisingly accurate predictions, - and a big wrong one, that otherwise got this guy laughed off the stage in his own day… His only “wrong” prediction was that there would be a second, and more severe housing crash that, to date - has never come. He rented during his late life, so convinced he was that the market would collapse any minute… Renting in England during 1992 though - wasn’t as daft as it sounds, when you bear in mind that many of my own generation got re-possessed following “Black Wednesday”, never to get another mortgage again because of the “default” thus pushed upon them by 15% interest rates…

If one misses out on gaining £50,000 from a better-paid job, but then fails to lose £150,000 a year later from being re-possessed - in fact, you are £100,000 better off, not £50,000 down… This was a concept I was mentored on:"
“What you don’t lose - is as good as what you WIN”.
It needs a risk-taking gambler viewpoint to fully understand this, but no one ever got rich by “making no decision on future events”, rather than making some wrong guesses among the correct ones. It is where you end up that counts. Don’t prepare for “being dead” of course, - assume that you WILL live beyond “threescore and ten”, and plan some good things to look forward in your life at that age. “Comfortable Retirement” - cannot be beat for “Good ongoing mental health”… :bulb: It isn’t all about “Massive pension income” neither. “Lifestyle Balance” is at least as important, because there’s no point being the guy that got cremated age 66 with a massive pension pot, compared to someone living more modestly and within their means - who’ll live in good health into their 90’s, simply because they’ve left the bulls hit that ages one prematurely, ailes one’s health, and chips away at one’s morale - far behind. :neutral_face:

Winseer:
Some of my old schoolmates ended up working in the city, which I did only briefly before being fired for arguing the toss with the chief trader @ Kleinwort Benson at their Fenchurch St office tower late in 1986… (I worked on the office computer kit, rather than the banking stuff) Funny thing was, I argued that the firm should “hedge more” in the markets, rather than just run ragged this (so far) “Big Bang” bull market that was in full swing at the time… This was not long after the Challenger disaster, where I suggested that less emphasis should be put on “Hardware Manufacturing Firms”, and more on the domestic fronts… I had the last laugh the following year of course, when Mr Chief Trader got fired himself for losing tens of millions on the dollar book, thanks to not even bothering to have any short positions at that time in even the most weak companies… There were many similarities between the Dot-com bubble of 2000 and the aftermath of the crash in 1987… People were being forced into selling decent stocks that turned a healthy profit - to meet their margin calls… Those who had “hedged” had some extra money to buy up some of these bargain basement, but otherwise sound firms at the bottom of the market - but not those idiots who thought the bull market would last forever, with “money spent on hedge positions” such as having a few Put Options in one’s portfolio - considered to be “wasted money” following the conventional wisdom of the time. I was considered an upstart, since “Banking” wasn’t my job here, I was supposed to keep the VDU’s in working order, service the modems, re-wire moved about kit, etc… Most of the staff I was operating on behalf of - were Japanese, but the guy who fired me was of the Golders Green set, who wasn’t having any of my “backseat driving” - even though I’d not passed my car test as of yet at that point!

Some of those mates actually in my class got kept on at these banks doing jobs ranging from “settlements” to “corporate law”, ending up working for outfits like Merril Lynch, Lehmans, and Bear Stearns - all now gone of course, where these “Masters of the Universe” were out on their collective arses back in 2008 during the credit crunch… What does one to to follow up a job with a massive salary like working in the city?

People needed to put money by whilst earning the big bucks, but a lot of people just ended up hopelessly in debt, with their houses ending up being re-mortgaged that had almost been paid off, had they not lost their job and original mortgage first obtained in 1985-6 all the way back when we all started out as “Equals”, before taking seperate paths as we did…

The biggest thing I liked about driving a Truck when I first started to do it - was that you get a better view of the world from “high up in the cab”, and I actually found driving to be quite relaxing (out-of-town at least) whereas others tell me it is a total chore… :open_mouth: I’ve had a couple of transport managers that I got on with (rare!) tell me that I’m wasted in this job, but what else is there for someone like me to pay the bills? Recession after Recssion, always “years of austerity”, always “Times are 'ard”… What better thing to do than “take a recession-proof job”, where just the hourly rate is in contention not getting another job in itself.

I’d recommend 2 books on “how to deal with a severe downturn”, that being Bob Beckman’s effort “The Downwave” and sequal “Into the Upwave” written 1988 shortly after the crash… Special attention needs to be paid to the last chapter titled “2020 Vision” where he makes some surprisingly accurate predictions, - and a big wrong one, that otherwise got this guy laughed off the stage in his own day… His only “wrong” prediction was that there would be a second, and more severe housing crash that, to date - has never come. He rented during his late life, so convinced he was that the market would collapse any minute… Renting in England during 1992 though - wasn’t as daft as it sounds, when you bear in mind that many of my own generation got re-possessed following “Black Wednesday”, never to get another mortgage again because of the “default” thus pushed upon them by 15% interest rates…

If one misses out on gaining £50,000 from a better-paid job, but then fails to lose £150,000 a year later from being re-possessed - in fact, you are £100,000 better off, not £50,000 down… This was a concept I was mentored on:"
“What you don’t lose - is as good as what you WIN”.
It needs a risk-taking gambler viewpoint to fully understand this, but no one ever got rich by “making no decision on future events”, rather than making some wrong guesses among the correct ones. It is where you end up that counts. Don’t prepare for “being dead” of course, - assume that you WILL live beyond “threescore and ten”, and plan some good things to look forward in your life at that age. “Comfortable Retirement” - cannot be beat for “Good ongoing mental health”… :bulb: It isn’t all about “Massive pension income” neither. “Lifestyle Balance” is at least as important, because there’s no point being the guy that got cremated age 66 with a massive pension pot, compared to someone living more modestly and within their means - who’ll live in good health into their 90’s, simply because they’ve left the bulls hit that ages one prematurely, ailes one’s health, and chips away at one’s morale - far behind. :neutral_face:

Bob Beckman - Wikipedia

You are certainly an interesting character and have lived a very full life so far. Your posts just keep giving. Fascinating insight and has made good reading.

North West Horizon, 22:00 hrs tonight… If you’re driving West anywhere in the country, you should easily be able to see them.

21st May 2020 Venus Mercury.jpg
North of the border, the view should be even better still, but the twilight will be a bit brighter.

Mercury (fainter) very close to Venus (third brightest object in the sky after Sun and Moon)

They’ll be moving further apart over the coming days, as Mercury has aleady “undertaken” Venus on the inside track…

Through a telescope, both will appear as crescents…

Video showing position of Comet Swan as per OP until June… Watch the position accompanied by the date & time given at the bottom of the simulation.

imo this comet will be easiest to find when it is near rising bright star Capella on 31st May - IF the North Eastern dawn sky is completely clear!
The sun rises about an hour after Capella, so “first light” will already be apparent…

So it is going to be too close to the horizon in the best viewing times to see then going to be too light when it is high enough to see. This isn’t sounding too promising, all the planets have to be aligned and weather conditions perfect. A bit disappointed to be honest as I was really expecting more. I will still be out though just in case.

Swan didn’t brighten up enough to become a proper naked eye comet, but if it is any consolation, back in March 1996 Comet Hyakutake had already grown a tail, approached very close to the Earth, only to be visble by binoculars just like Comet Swan now

A few months later though, Hale Bopp appeared, of which not much was expected at first, as it was going to pass halfway around to the other side of the sun… And then managed to excell from there.

There’s plenty of other stuff to see meanwhile, as if you missed the Mercury/Venus alignment tonight, it’ll be up there for a couple more nights yet, and joined by the slim crescent moon at the weekend…

(Update on Comet Atlas)

(How to find Comet Swan - It’s there, but faint in the morning twilight…)

UKtramp:

kevmac47:

jakethesnake:
Interesting stuff guys. I love astrology although know very little about it but have always had an interest since my youth. Have a couple of books on the subject which I must get round to reading sometime soon.
Makes a pleasant change from some of the nonsense. :laughing:

Astrology! Total nonsense in my opinion. Regards Kev.

I meant astronomy not Astrology, my mistake there. I may have used the incorrect terminology. I keep calling Astronomy astrology for some reason.

Your only mistake there was replying with the wrong login.

But I sure the mistake was all mine and you did this deliberately to stir up the trolls.

AndieHyde:

UKtramp:

kevmac47:

jakethesnake:
Interesting stuff guys. I love astrology although know very little about it but have always had an interest since my youth. Have a couple of books on the subject which I must get round to reading sometime soon.
Makes a pleasant change from some of the nonsense. :laughing:

Astrology! Total nonsense in my opinion. Regards Kev.

I meant astronomy not Astrology, my mistake there. I may have used the incorrect terminology. I keep calling Astronomy astrology for some reason.

Your only mistake there was replying with the wrong login.

But I sure the mistake was all mine and you did this deliberately to stir up the trolls.

Not really sweet cheeks, check through my posts, I didn’t mean star signs and horoscopes I meant the stars. Noticed the answer to Jake and realised I had said the same terminology. So answered my own views as what I meant in case people thought I was into reading horoscopes. Why what is it to do with you?

Mearly pointing out how some may view your post as being, fraudulent.

Awareness is light, ignorance is darkness.

Me, I can tell the difference between Sir. Patrick Moore and Mystic Meg
One of those is a fraud aswell.

AndieHyde:
Mearly pointing out how some may view your post as being, fraudulent.

Awareness is light, ignorance is darkness.

Me, I can tell the difference between Sir. Patrick Moore and Mystic Meg
One of those is a fraud aswell.

Well as you are the only one who has pointed this amazing fact out, and also not been involved in this post or contributed anything to it other than this. I suggest you run along now and if I need you, I will simply whistle. You are just full of troll theories and conspiracy theories. It isn’t required here, this is a sensible thread for grown ups. Off you pop.

Plenty of “random action” out there still…

I’d say there’s an increasing danger from space to humanty that goes way beyond “asteroid impacts”…

Meanwhile, we get hot under the collar down here about “3 hour long queues” and “riots on the other side of the world” just as people should be thinking about getting back to work - whilst they still can! :unamused: :unamused:

Meanwhile, it should be easy for everyone to find the bright planets Jupiter and Saturn as they near opposition, and their brightest for the year…

Article shows how to find them relative to the near-full moon’s position over the coming week… Direction to look is SOUTH, so driving down the M11/M1/M5 around Midnight should have these planets easily visible whilst you don’t take your eyes off the road ahead…

Talking of another night sky topic there’s Been some amazing bright passes of the ISS recently, though gone for a while now. Alas I didn’t see Space X make history as it chased the ISS

switchlogic:
Talking of another night sky topic there’s Been some amazing bright passes of the ISS recently, though gone for a while now. Alas I didn’t see Space X make history as it chased the ISS

Yes, the ISS isn’t bright enough to be seen in daylight, but at night it looks like a silent star moving across the sky, unlike an aircraft - no flashing light, no vapour trail. You have to catch it just right to be able to see it, and I often miss it because it has crossed the entire sky in a few short minutes… Looks good through a telescope IF you can track it manually, which ain’t easy. Using the motor tracker on a fancy telescope isn’t much good, as the ISS is way off the ecliptic plane most of the time. The upside to that, is that over successive orbits, it passes over progressively different countries on each successive orbit, eventually wrapping around to where it started like spirograph does.

This page seems to be the best no-nonsense tracker (no cookies set)

Well the 31st came and went, I did look out for it but couldn’t see a thing, on the note of the ISS, I have an app on my phone that maps its trajectory and have seen it a few times. I did see the elon musk satellites though. I need to get a telescope as they were not that impressive viewing just by eye. The actual concept is more impressive than the sighting. Thanks for the heads up on this all the same Winseer.

When I stare into star filled sky I can not help my mind wondering and think about how far and how did it all come about …who made god …who made the bloke who made god who made the bloke or woman who made god… :unamused:

UKtramp:
Well the 31st came and went, I did look out for it but couldn’t see a thing, on the note of the ISS, I have an app on my phone that maps its trajectory and have seen it a few times. I did see the elon musk satellites though. I need to get a telescope as they were not that impressive viewing just by eye. The actual concept is more impressive than the sighting. Thanks for the heads up on this all the same Winseer.

The sighting on 31st was fainter, with the bright morning twilight making good viewing difficult…

It was near the bright star Capella on the night of 31st, - but I have to admit you would have needed binoculars to see it by that point, as the brightest night for this comet had already passed.
Not very practical using Binoculars whilst trying to drive a truck - I must admit. :blush:

I figured that it would be easiest to find for naked eye views on a night when it was close to another bright naked eye object…

I only got to see it twice in the end - 22nd and 24th May both times using binoculars, (no good if you don’t know where to look) as I wasn’t up at 3am on 31st.

Here’s the best picture (not mine) of this comet that I could find.
The morning twilight now seems to interfere just too much to see this now-fading comet, as we approach the June Solstice, where the twilight will last all night for a few days either side…
It is also possible to see Capella in the Evening Dusk twilight, but my view in that direction has a hill in the way, and Capella is too low to the horizon all night long at this time of the year.
Capella is high up in the sky in WINTER however, so if we ever get another comet like Hale Bopp which was in that part of the sky across Winter - it will be easily visible to the naked eye for months…
Until then, we’ll no doubt continue to be disappointed by “fade away” comets of Swan and Atlas’ nature until the next truly “Great” comet arrives.
Comet McNaught in 2007 was the last one officially deemed “Great”, but couldn’t be seen like in the picuture below - unless you lived “Down Under”…

Comet McNaught 2007.jpg

Hale Bopp was the last and only Great Comet that I’ve seen myself, with all the others being faint ones needing binoculars - including, as it turned out comet Swan. I didn’t get to see Comet Atlas, as it had already broken up before I had chance to see it.

Hale Bopp over Rooftops.jpg

Article for the month of June 2020.

If you’ve got a telescope to look, take a butchers at Jupiter. It’s easy to spot the moons (upto four visible at any time) but if you’ve got the magnification AND the higher resolution - You might be able to see the shadows as depicted on June 4th, Tomorrow as I write this.
These moons orbit Jupiter in hours and days rather than a whole month like our moon does, so every night you look - you should see the moons in a different position compared to the time before.
Most of the time, you’ll only see THREE because there will often be one “around the back” or “casting a shadow at front”, which is what a “Transit” is, of course.

fuse:
When I stare into star filled sky I can not help my mind wondering and think about how far and how did it all come about …who made god …who made the bloke who made god who made the bloke or woman who made god… :unamused:

As a non believer that’s easy, no one. The universe is way too vast to imagine a single creator in my opinion. I do respect yours and anyone’s belief though, as long as its not simply a stick with which to beat others. Sometimes wish I could believe in a God, though after my brush with death I have become much more open minded at what it’s all about to be fair

Winseer:

switchlogic:

Yes, the ISS isn’t bright enough to be seen in daylight, but at night it looks like a silent star moving across the sky, unlike an aircraft - no flashing light, no vapour trail. You have to catch it just right to be able to see it, and I often miss it because it has crossed the entire sky in a few short minutes… Looks good through a telescope IF you can track it manually, which ain’t easy. Using the motor tracker on a fancy telescope isn’t much good, as the ISS is way off the ecliptic plane most of the time. The upside to that, is that over successive orbits, it passes over progressively different countries on each successive orbit, eventually wrapping around to where it started like spirograph does.

This page seems to be the best no-nonsense tracker (no cookies set)
Current position of the ISS

Yes you do have to catch it just right. Thankfully my front door points west so I can just stand in it amd watch. The only times I’ve managed to catch it are when I happen to see a tweet from a Twitter account I follow at just the right moment, as like Winseer says its almost gone in the blink of an eye. Got some lovely video of it racing over my house. No matter how often I see it it always takes my breath away, we humans are capable of so so much and it makes me sad that I won’t live to see Space travel become more extensive and common

Aforementioned Twitter acc https://twitter.com/VirtualAstro (you don’t need to be a member to view their tweets, worth bookmarking if you’re interested in space)

When the ISS comes around again, it looks like it will pass over the same part of the country and all - BUT if you look closer, it will be following a track taking it some miles distant from the last time it passed over…

Eg. If it passed over Kent one day, it might be Essex on it’s next orbit, Cambridgeshire on the next, etc etc.

Most of the time - it won’t even be passing over ANYWHERE in Britain, of course…

You’ll just have to wait until the “Spirograph” finishes it’s pattern…

Right now as I write this - passing over the Sahara Desert. !!

On the theological point,

I cannot NOT believe in God, simply because I’ve seen too much wierd crap in my life that just couldn’t happen “by chance” in my mind, although I’m working on a mathematical theory “ClusterLuck” which might explain why it is that “Chaos” or “Sod’s Law” or “Randomness” - are never what they seem to be in a dry, sanitized and Godless world.

I might even argue that the “God or No God” argument - splits the world 52/48 at this time!!

I could also suggest that there are many people calling themselves “Believers” who’ll end up “Spewed forth for being warm”, whilst there are plenty of Atheists that I know personally - have already admitted to me that they’d become believers as quick as anything - if it were ever proved to them that God exists, no doubts, no quibble… (presumably a personal calling… required, Burning Bush experience perhaps hmm?)