Some Old Seddon's

Another sleeper cabbed example. Robert

wer8.jpg

Punchy Dan:
Seddon Globetrotter .

that’s a name i had forgotten dan , in the 60s they ran twin steer bedford tks . they did a lot of the long trips out of dowlow . dave

robert1952:

Know that motor Robert , its ex Ralph Davies Cheltenham and was formally a drawbar used on European work , regards Keith .

kingswinford kit:

robert1952:

Know that motor Robert , its ex Ralph Davies Cheltenham and was formally a drawbar used on European work , regards Keith .

Nice bit of detail there! Cheers, Robert

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Another chappie wiv da beeg cab! Robert

sryt8.jpg

LHD Seddon supplied by the Belgian company, Hocke. Robert

The 32/4 Seddon was usually fitted with a Rolls- Royce engine , was that a standard fitting with ■■■■■■■ and Gardner as options ?.

Weren’t all Seddons ‘Old’ even when straight off the production line?

shugg:
The 32/4 Seddon was usually fitted with a Rolls- Royce engine , was that a standard fitting with ■■■■■■■ and Gardner as options ?.

Interesting question. I think you are right, but I’ll try and find out. Robert

shugg:

I believe they were the cheapest option, but you paid extra long term with poor fuel economy with the RR which would do about 5mpg compared to the ■■■■■■■ at about 7, the Gardner would be about about 8 to 9mpg, but you would loose some time over distance with the last option. Another down side with the RR was that they would crack the chassis rails just behind the cab.

22600534368_82163a7849_z.jpg
3818037366_b9bb7e092b_z.jpg

robert1952:

shugg:

Interesting question. I think you are right, but I’ll try and find out. Robert

I haven’t forgotten you! It’s just that Dennis has given a far better answer than I can on page 190 of the Bewick thread. Cheers, robert

RC30.jpg

And just to prove I’ve grasped Casey’s comprehensive instructions here is another shot of a fine motor I used to operate.

> Bewick:
> 0 And just to prove I’ve grasped Casey’s comprehensive instructions here is another shot of a fine motor I used to operate.

AAAH the good old days before the drivers seat became a popular fitment - Nothing wrong with a rear mounted perch for the driver to balance on whilst wrestling with the controls
As the Welsh say "Men were Men then & the sheep were frightened"

Looking through the past posts on this thread Gingerfold asked if Seddon Diesel were the first to offer the ■■■■■■■ engine in heavy commercials. There was no sure answer given but a Peter Davies book I have states in 1958 the newly released SD8 and DD8 eight wheelers had a choice of Gardner 6LW, 6LX or the ■■■■■■■ HF6, one of the first ■■■■■■■ installations in a UK heavy truck (possibly with ERF too) along with the Seddon Sirdar from the same year having a ■■■■■■■ 198bhp NH.B.6. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Looking through the past posts on this thread Gingerfold asked if Seddon Diesel were the first to offer the ■■■■■■■ engine in heavy commercials. There was no sure answer given but a Peter Davies book I have states in 1958 the newly released SD8 and DD8 eight wheelers had a choice of Gardner 6LW, 6LX or the ■■■■■■■ HF6, one of the first ■■■■■■■ installations in a UK heavy truck (possibly with ERF too) along with the Seddon Sirdar from the same year having a ■■■■■■■ 198bhp NH.B.6. Cheers Franky.