Smith of Maddiston

Hi, 5th Wheel,
Always had a soft spot for the Borderers Whether Gardner or ■■■■■■■ even though at heart I,m an ERF man .
And I well remember the wooden leg we used, in fact a mate told me he turned into Woodhall one night and couldn,t get the wooden leg out , he went out the other end with it still jammed in and flat out !! Good job at that time we were governed at 40 mph and he was empty. He said it was the quickest pit stop he,d ever made!

Cheers Bassman

reagle ill do it:
St Albans depot mate

After I came off nights[8 years],I went tramping with a Big J 220 ■■■■■■■■■■■■ machine,if you got the revs right,didnt need a clutch.

I went to most Smiths Depot’s but St Albans eluded me,going to Glasgow was the worst,once up there,they would keep you there on the pretence of waiting for a suitable load for down south,running trailers from Petfoods and back,stuck there for 3 days 1 week,never went again,although Maddiston was the opposite,always wanted you out ASAP,usually synthetic rubber for Market Drayton!

Take it easy,

David :smiley:

Bassman:
Hi, 5th Wheel,
Always had a soft spot for the Borderers Whether Gardner or ■■■■■■■ even though at heart I,m an ERF man .
And I well remember the wooden leg we used, in fact a mate told me he turned into Woodhall one night and couldn,t get the wooden leg out , he went out the other end with it still jammed in and flat out !! Good job at that time we were governed at 40 mph and he was empty. He said it was the quickest pit stop he,d ever made!

Cheers Bassman

Had an ERF with a 250■■ ■■■■■■■ in it,Fuller 12 with Deep Reduction,I drove it shifting heavy plant around the country on a King LL.

Good,useful machine in those 70’s,although it used to crack clutch bell housings for fun,for ever in Sandbach having new ones fitted,it had huge twin fuel tanks,when I used to fill it up,Green Shield stamps were the order of the day,the garage used to chuck full rolls of stamps at me,each fill up used to fill a few books!

Take it easy

i, %th Wheel,

I remember the Green Shield stamps but used to prefer 2d a gallon , usually worked out at a packet of ■■■■ or a breakfast.

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
i, %th Wheel,

I remember the Green Shield stamps but used to prefer 2d a gallon , usually worked out at a packet of ■■■■ or a breakfast.

Cheers Bassman

I can still smell the Old Holborn roll ups,and can also hear the bacon sizzling,time to get some lunch me thinks!

Take it easy,

David :laughing:

Where’s Fergie!!! as this thread is starting to roll again with anecdotes about this great firm ? Where? Parked up in a lay-by with his feet up on the Invincible bonnet giving it big Zzzzzzzzzzzz’s !!! Is he really ? Anon1.

Je ne say pas Monsieur Dennis!!..or something like that!

Take it easy, Dennis,its Friday POETS day!

5thwheel:
Je ne say pas Monsieur Dennis!!..or something like that!

Take it easy, Dennis,its Friday POETS day!

I realise that you would have to be bi-lingual to work for a Scottish firm so I’m at temporary (only temporary mind!) loss for words.However,I think I know what your saying David but you are dead wrong mate,of course I could “walk by” Fergie in his 180 ■■■■■■■ engined Invincible,'cause I have a 220 in my Borderer!! and I would pass him even faster if he’s paked up in a lay-by !! Least I think thats what you meant by " yu’ll nae pas",is it ? cheers Dennis.

Dennis,

Fergie has been on over the weekend,for some strange reason,he appears to be ignoring you,what a cheek!!

5thwheel:
Dennis,

Fergie has been on over the weekend,for some strange reason,he appears to be ignoring you,what a cheek!!

Your right David,it’s a right “■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ my week-end !! But the fact that Murray got licked at Wimbledon eased the “pain” a bit not to mention a couple of bottles of New Zealand !!! wine,I’am still waiting for the case of French “rouge red” that Fergie promised,must be stuck in customs !! Something to do with importing “bottle ■■■■” I understand !!Nothing like a bit of “craic” is there !!! SOM forever yea!! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis
About time you tried some good Slovenian wine so remember when you go shopping next

jastrebsi59:
Hi Dennis
About time you tried some good Slovenian wine so remember when you go shopping next

I promise to keep my eyes open for some Slovenian wine,although we prefer Chilean or New Zealand we have,of late,been buying some nice Sicilian both Red and White.It’s alright telling us how nice your wine is but you keep the good gear and export the “vinegar” !!! I have no doubt that the wine you drink will be superb,a bit like going to Paris for a break and the Neuavo? Beajalae? tastes a lot better there than the crap they send to the UK !! Cheers Dennis.

Just thought I would bring this post back with a photo.
Smith of Maddison.jpg

Stanfield:
Just thought I would bring this post back with a photo.0

And quite right too John ! keep it on track or these “■■■■ heads” will have it all over the place !! Cheers Dennis.

hiya,
Dennis “■■■■ artist” if you don’t mind , “■■■■ head” indeed that’s not very nice.
thanks harry, long retired.

Evening all, quite right , us old fogies should keep to the thread!!

When I attended “business” lunches around Lyon, I used to dread the words, …“in Lyon we have three rivers, the Soane, the Rhone, …and the Beaujolais”", oh heck, you really could not concentrate on any serious work!!! Oh, some of the deals I did post the lunching,oh dear, oh deary me!!

Anyway, lets instigate a little action, enough of this tiresome debate about J&As 8LXBs, lets get a little action going. Subject to scrutiny, (to avoid photo shop, and whatever other fraudulent, scam tools exist), and to establish authenticity, (and dear friends their decision is final)!! by my hereby appointed judges, Messers Bewick, and Rkki UK, (as they both know more about “internet fraud” than my ludite self):

The very first person who can submit the following irreproachable proof, authenticated by: the submission of a clear photograph of the rearmost cylinders of Mr Gardners straight 8, protruding from the cab of a genuine Fallings Park Big J, liveried in J&As unforgetable livery will receive a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau, (from a rather good producer) with all of our compliments, (and gratitude for terminating this long unproven thread)!!

A real prize for a real winner!!

Bon chance, Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Evening all, quite right , us old fogies should keep to the thread!!

When I attended “business” lunches around Lyon, I used to dread the words, …“in Lyon we have three rivers, the Soane, the Rhone, …and the Beaujolais”", oh heck, you really could not concentrate on any serious work!!! Oh, some of the deals I did post the lunching,oh dear, oh deary me!!

Anyway, lets instigate a little action, enough of this tiresome debate about J&As 8LXBs, lets get a little action going. Subject to scrutiny, (to avoid photo shop, and whatever other fraudulent, scam tools exist), and to establish authenticity, (and dear friends their decision is final)!! by my hereby appointed judges, Messers Bewick, and Rkki UK, (as they both know more about “internet fraud” than my ludite self):

The very first person who can submit the following irreproachable proof, authenticated by: the submission of a clear photograph of the rearmost cylinders of Mr Gardners straight 8, protruding from the cab of a genuine Fallings Park Big J, liveried in J&As unforgetable livery will receive a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau, (from a rather good producer) with all of our compliments, (and gratitude for terminating this long unproven thread)!!

A real prize for a real winner!!

Bon chance, Cheerio for now.

“…long unproven thread”!,the proof has been provided by numerous drivers and mechanics,that should be proof enough for most forum members,its just a ■■■■■■■■■ of doubting Thomas’s,but they don’t count !!!

Take it easy,

David

In reply to the two previous posters I would say for a start,Monsier “Saviem” how can you lump me in with “Ricci” and suggest that I may possess enough internet know how to manipulate the www.! I have no doubt that “Ricci” will have the ability to “manipulate and impose guidence” on the site,as and when required! But as far as I go I can honestly say I’m still in the stone age where this method of technology is concerned !!! Oh! and when someone knows that the quest to find “the immpossible” means just that they can, with assured confidence,offer the “Crown jewels” as a prize,safe in the knowledge that they will never have to deliver said prize !! anyway,back to chipping away at my flint axe head!!! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

3300John:

ainacs:

5thwheel:
Hi Bewick,

I did not realise it at the time,but SoM were obviously part of the United Group when I was driving for them in the 70’s,funny, don’t remember anyone talking about United Group during my time with them,although come to think of it,Jameson’s used to park their tilt trailers @ the Manchester Depot,and I think they had United Group on the tilt,might be wrong,but seems familiar?

Hiya…that Jamesons Seddon is fitted with a 8 LXB its shown on the Brochures site.Seddon and Guy had a 114 inch wheelbase 2inches longer than a ERF A series so i think a GUY chassis would take a 8cylinder possibly the price would have been a problem or of corse the weight as Seddon and Guy always made
a light weight chassis making the payload priority.
John

Thanks for this Gen on the Seddon John I did know that they built a few with the 8LXB engine as an old mate of mine Malc Woodhouse ran one for a while . But it is definite confirmation that Guy’s fitted the 8LXB we are looking for !! Regarding the Crisp Guy’s it seems quite possible that they were spec’d as described by Pat but looking at the photo I am doubtfull they were longer wheelbases than the standard 114" but I will stand corrected if somone comes up with what the longer wheelbase was!! Regards Bewick P.S. It looks like the standard W. B. to me!!

i remember one of these parked outside my grandads pub the old house at home in colden common it was where my dad parked it !!! would have been around 76! jim marriner is his name he worked for smiths to at some point

BigG-Unit:
Bloody hell Mappo! they are hounding you on this thread now !! you must have broad shoulders mate. :laughing: I think I know where you mean the Aldridge depot was, but still can’t see it in my minds eye. I ought to remember it as I lived just up the road in '72 when I started with a Ford van doing light haulage. I Used to do flyers out of Birlec and B.R.D. and a few more firms around there.
I agree about the sheet on the model, I thought it was a bit poor. I have made some up with a “tarp” made from a olive spread tub foil and cotton which I think look better as you can paint a bit of age into it. Here’s a pic of one I stuck on a cheap model to try it, again, not a finished article, but will give you an idea. Thought I would do something like it on the Smith’s E.R.F. at some time when I get around to it.

Fergie47 : Great pictures of Smith’s wagons mate and looking forward to more of them. It doesn’t matter if they have been posted else where, you couldn’t get tired of seeing them could ya.
Sorry for going a bit off topic :blush: Can someone post us back on track. :confused:

smiths yard is still there.across the road from mckechnie metals,behind the fuel station
maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=aldrid … m&t=h&z=18