Smart Motorways

Stanley Knife:

Juddian:
Somewhere in the middle of that queue was the ambulance on blues belting down the hard shoulder at 60mph to reach the victims…er no he wasn’t he was doing less than walking pace trying to weave between the lanes.

I’ve never fully understood why, in such circumstances, the emergency services can’t enter the motorway at the junction after the accident and travel the wrong way to the scene.

They will.

Seen it used twice, first time was the firework crash on the M5 I was just past the entry slip road. The other time, on the M4, the police stopped on the opposite carriage way to make sure nothing was getting past the accident and then called in for other responders to access fromthe junction after the blockage.

waddy640:
Now you are reverting to using common sense, sadly that went out of fashion some while back.

Ahh, sorry, my deepest apologies. It must be my age. :unamused: :laughing:

Thanks Roymondo, at least that’s a decent attempt. It still leaves me wondering who makes that decision and at what point, and what CCTV is for in reality. Trying to battle your way through solid lanes of traffic to get to the problem still seems like satisfying a dictat rather than dealing with the problem.

How about instead of travelling down the motorway past the incident to the next junction to fight your way back up closing a lane off on the other side so you’re directly opposite?

Stanley Knife:
Thanks Roymondo, at least that’s a decent attempt. It still leaves me wondering who makes that decision and at what point, and what CCTV is for in reality. Trying to battle your way through solid lanes of traffic to get to the problem still seems like satisfying a dictat rather than dealing with the problem.

How about instead of travelling down the motorway past the incident to the next junction to fight your way back up closing a lane off on the other side so you’re directly opposite?

It’s been tried. Fire brigade tend to have lots of hefty equipment, hoses etc that aren’t easy to deploy from the wrong side of the barriers. Ambulances less so. Police really need to have their vehicle in the affected carriageway because they use it to protect the scene (as do fire brigade). Recovery trucks obviously can’t do their thing from the other carriageway. Also the great unwashed have enough difficulty passing the scene on the opposite carriageway without slowing down to gawp (causing major tailbacks) even when they have a full complement of lanes to play with. Close one to park a few emergency vehicles and everything would come to a full stop for several miles in both directions.

Stanley Knife:

waddy640:
Now you are reverting to using common sense, sadly that went out of fashion some while back.

Ahh, sorry, my deepest apologies. It must be my age. :unamused: :laughing:

Apology accepted, you are obviously of an age when you made your own decisions rather than what someone else deemed to be the best way of doing things.

Yesterday morning around 11am i went down the M606 and then eastbound up the sliproad to the M62 only to be greeted by 4 lanes of queing traffic .Everyone had slowed right down due to the matrix signs flashing 40 .Then the next set of signs were 50 then 60 and then off .No problem whatsoever apart from the pricks in the control room .This is a regular occurence

waddy640:
Apology accepted, you are obviously of an age when you made your own decisions rather than what someone else deemed to be the best way of doing things.

Curiously when I follow their way of doing things and it goes wrong it’s my fault, but when I do it my way and it goes right I’m out of order for not following procedure.

ramone:
Yesterday morning around 11am i went down the M606 and then eastbound up the sliproad to the M62 only to be greeted by 4 lanes of queing traffic .Everyone had slowed right down due to the matrix signs flashing 40 .Then the next set of signs were 50 then 60 and then off .No problem whatsoever apart from the pricks in the control room .This is a regular occurence

I think the best policy would be to show the lowest speed throughout the problem area rather than change continually. Once you reach a 40 then you know it will be that until it reverts to the normal limit for that road. You can then concentrate on the traffic around you instead of the signs and cameras.

Stanley Knife:

waddy640:

Curiously when I follow their way of doing things and it goes wrong it’s my fault, but when I do it my way and it goes right I’m out of order for not following procedure.

I know the feeling.

waddy640:

ramone:

I think the best policy would be to show the lowest speed throughout the problem area rather than change continually. Once you reach a 40 then you know it will be that until it reverts to the normal limit for that road. You can then concentrate on the traffic around you instead of the signs and cameras.

Thats the whole point of my post 9 times out of ten there isn’t a problem apart from the speed restrictions.Anyone who uses the M62 through West Yorkshire regularily will know what i mean.The problems are caused by the matrix signs or more likely the clowns in the control rooms

M1 last night the gantries said 60mph then 40mph then 50mph then 40 mph then. Quite ridiculous really.

This causes more problems than a little as people brake and panic like thrtr is no tomorrow.