Smart motorways (again).

Dork Lard:
Any decent driver worth their salt should be fully clued up on overtaking on the nearside.

“Undertaking” is something involving dead bodies which doesn’t always involve necrophilia !

+1

Santa:
The list of “Most dangerous roads ranked by drivers” would have made more sense if it was balanced by a list of “Most dangerous roads ranked by actual statistics.”

72% of all people killed and injured on the road were on built-up roads (those with a 30 limit)
24% -------------------------“-------------------------- were on non-built-up roads.
5% --------------------------”--------------------------- were on motorways.

The reality is a very long way away from the perception.

I’d be interested to know if smart motorways are more dangerous than normal motorways with hard shoulder. Don’t suppose enough smart motorways have been around long enough to provide meaningful data though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ezydriver:
If you’re in your car, just run on cruise at 50, happy days.

Which does what, other than cause more congestion and thousands of unnecessary overtakes and clogs the second lane with slow traffic overtaking you and your rolling roadblock?

If you can’t do the limit get off the roads.

Anyone driving a car who is overtaken by a truck in normal driving conditions should have their licence taken off them.

A.

Adonis.:

ezydriver:
If you’re in your car, just run on cruise at 50, happy days.

Which does what, other than cause more congestion and thousands of unnecessary overtakes and clogs the second lane with slow traffic overtaking you and your rolling roadblock?

Anyone driving a car who is overtaken by a truck in normal driving conditions should have their licence taken off them.

A.

well said love

Adonis.:

Calm down. They’re limits, not targets.

ezydriver:

Adonis.:

Nicely avoiding the part where you cause more congestion because you can’t drive at a sensible speed on a motorway.

Get off the roads, do us all a favour.

A.

Adonis.:
Anyone driving a car who is overtaken by a truck in normal driving conditions should have their licence taken off them.A.

!00%, I’ve always said this!!

robroy:

dozy:
you gotta laugh at these all going on about drivers not having lane discipline etc then they go on about how wonderful it is undertaking other traffic :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Ok, strictly speaking it aint right, and two wrongs don’t make a right.
So what do you do then?
Sit behind all the cretins who either just refuse to use lane 1 for whatever reason :unamused: , and the habitual dead from the neck up lane hoggers, until lanes 1 2 and 3 are all gridlocked, with a lane 1 with no traffic,…
Do tell me doze, which is the better alternative, and especially considering someone like yourself, who regularly tells us you are run ragged to the nearest minute. :bulb:

In the situation under discussion it’s perfectly OK. Highway Code rule 268 sums it up perfectly:
“Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.”

Adonis.:

ezydriver:

Adonis.:

Nicely avoiding the part where you cause more congestion because you can’t drive at a sensible speed on a motorway.

A.

You’d better write to Tesco and Maritime and a host of others then, and tell them the same thing.

ezydriver:

Adonis.:

ezydriver:

Adonis.:

A.

You’d better write to Tesco and Maritime and a host of others then, and tell them the same thing.

Tesco and Maritime who would both be in lane 2 unnecessarily overtaking you because you can’t drive at a sensible speed on a motorway.

That Tesco and Maritime?

Would that Tesco and Maritime also have speed limiters fitted and the speed they travel at be beyond their control, unlike your vehicle which is only travelling at a dangerously slow speed because the driver of it cannot bring himself to travel at a safe speed on a motorway?

Still avoiding the part where you cause congestion unnecessarily.

A.

dri-diddly-iver:

Adonis.:
Anyone driving a car who is overtaken by a truck in normal driving conditions should have their licence taken off them.A.

Sorry but you are wrong. As has been said a speed limit is not a target. It all boils down to the conditions and the confidence of a driver.
Just the other week I was driving on a busy motorway in horrendous conditions. The majority driving well below the speed limit and what happens.
Two trucks come past with only a few feet between them and I guess they were flat out.
Some need to get it through their thick skulls not everyone is in a hurry. Driving at 50 - 60 mph in normal conditions is quite acceptable in a car on a motorway (in the inside lane)

Dr Damon:

dri-diddly-iver:

Adonis.:

Sorry but you are wrong. As has been said a speed limit is not a target. It all boils down to the conditions and the confidence of a driver.
Just the other week I was driving on a busy motorway in horrendous conditions. The majority driving well below the speed limit and what happens.
Two trucks come past with only a few feet between them and I guess they were flat out.
Some need to get it through their thick skulls not everyone is in a hurry. Driving at 50 - 60 mph in normal conditions is quite acceptable in a car on a motorway (in the inside lane)

No you weren’t and no it isn’t.

A.

Adonis.:

ezydriver:

Adonis.:

A.

Adonis would you actually be happy if slower vehicles were banned?
Without someone slower, how would you possibly show us all your superiority by overtaking all of us mortals?

Franglais:

Adonis.:

ezydriver:

Adonis.:

A.

Adonis would you actually be happy if slower vehicles were banned?
Without someone slower, how would you possibly show us all your superiority by overtaking all of us mortals?

Yep, minimum speed of 55 or 60 for cars.

I am superior in more ways than just being faster than plebs.

A.

Oh yes I was and oh yes it is. Ask any professional driver or any advanced drivers including traffic police and they will all tell you YOU are wrong. 100% guaranteed.

Dr Damon:

Oh yes I was and oh yes it is. Ask any professional driver or any advanced drivers including traffic police and they will all tell you YOU are wrong. 100% guaranteed.

No you weren’t, you lying sad act.

No traffic cop will tell you that driving at 50 is safer than doing 65-70 on a motorway you utter helmet.

A.

Oh dear I really hope you are trying to be funny (even although you are not)

Dr Damon:

Oh dear I really hope you are trying to be funny (even although you are not)

No, Dr Dickdome, I’m being serious.

A.

Adonis.:

Dr Damon:

No traffic cop will tell you that driving at 50 is safer than doing 65-70 on a motorway you utter helmet.

A.

Listen fella having worked with many traffic police over the years I can tell you they are quite happy with that as long as they are in the inside lane.

Why do you result to insults. It makes your argument even weaker.

Dr Damon:

Adonis.:

Dr Damon:

A.

Listen fella having worked with many traffic police over the years I can tell you they are quite happy with that as long as they are in the inside lane.

Why do you result to insults. It makes your argument even weaker.

Stop the lying, you complete clunge. :unamused:

I have no argument, my point is correct, you are wrong as you are on pretty much every topic you dribble over, simple.

A.