Self-employed HELP!

Honestscott76:

fuser84:
ESM4210 - Particular occupations: drivers of commercial vehicles-general - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

Drivers who only provide their labour, driving vehicles owned, maintained, and insured by contractors, are likely to be employees. Drivers who also provide the means of transport, that is the vehicle, are likely to be self-employed even if they work mainly for one principal. The vehicle may be one which they own or lease (see ESM4211).

Also read this for details:
ESM0500 - Guide to determining status - overview: contents - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

The links you highlight are misleading.

From experience it’s my firm belief that drivers who only provide their labour, driving owned vehicles have been outlawed by HMRC as self employed (sole traders). However It’s perfectly acceptable for Limited Companies to supply drivers to drive owned vehicles, in some instances these drivers are employed by the Limited Company and employees for HMRC purposes.

But the effect of other legislation is to deprive these Limited Company arrangements of any tax advantage - because merely interposing a Limited Company in an employment relationship means you will still be liable for operating a PAYE system.

We then end up back to the same question as applied to the sole trader without a Limited Company, of asking whether he is genuinely self-employed or whether the arrangements are just a charade and he is an employee in relation to whom PAYE taxes are due.

A genuinely self-employed professional can still operate as a sole trader - it’s just that nobody accepts that drivers are self-employed.

Rjan:
[…]

Further to this discussion, I just thought I’d post a link to a recent tax tribunal case I’ve come across specifically regarding “self-employed” drivers and liability for PAYE:

[2017] UKFTT 017 (TC)
Income tax - PAYE – whether drivers engaged by the appellant to make
deliveries using the appellant’s lorries were employees or independent
contractors – held: they were employees

financeandtax.decisions.tribunal … C05583.pdf

Rjan:

Rjan:
[…]

Further to this discussion, I just thought I’d post a link to a recent tax tribunal case I’ve come across specifically regarding “self-employed” drivers and liability for PAYE:

[2017] UKFTT 017 (TC)
Income tax - PAYE – whether drivers engaged by the appellant to make
deliveries using the appellant’s lorries were employees or independent
contractors – held: they were employees

financeandtax.decisions.tribunal … C05583.pdf

Can’t read through the whole ruling but were any of the said drivers working as Ltd Company “single employee” rather than Sole Trader SE?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Can’t read through the whole ruling but were any of the said drivers working as Ltd Company “single employee” rather than Sole Trader SE?

In one case a driver was recorded as such (and presumably did have a Ltd company), although the tribunal notes that this wasn’t supported by the bank statements.

The IR35 rules mean that the Ltd intermediary can be disregarded anyway (for PAYE purposes) if, but for the intermediary, the relationship meets the criteria of employment.

I’m not intimately familiar with IR35, but my impression is that the use of a Ltd company may mean that the employee-director, rather than the employer, becomes the first port of call for unpaid PAYE, so Ltd drivers may end up in an even worse position than unincorporated drivers (whose employer was the first port of call for unpaid PAYE).

But you should read the entire case, because the overall approach clearly indicates that the courts are no longer accepting any of the charades.

For example, they asked whether the invoicing was real, or just a paperwork exercise separate to the real timesheet system which was in operation, and decided upon the latter interpretation.

Rjan:

Big Truck:

In one case a driver was recorded as such (and presumably did have a Ltd company), although the tribunal notes that this wasn’t supported by the bank statements.

The IR35 rules mean that the Ltd intermediary can be disregarded anyway (for PAYE purposes) if, but for the intermediary, the relationship meets the criteria of employment.

I also admit not fully digesting, just a speed read. I note the person in question was flagged for receiving payment in person - not to their ltd company. More than a case of bad admin. More a case of duplicity and not a good example… imo

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:

Big Truck:

I also admit not fully digesting, just a speed read. I note the person in question was flagged for receiving payment in person - not to their ltd company. More than a case of bad admin. More a case of duplicity and not a good example… imo

Given that the case relates to circumstances several years ago, there probably hadn’t been the rush toward incorporation at that point.

But there probably won’t be that many cases appealed purely on the point, because the IR35 legislation (if I understand it correctly) allows the taxman to ask “what if” there was no Ltd Co - would the arrangements mean the person would be an employee of the hirer? If so, then PAYE is due anyway as if the income is wages.

So if you would now be treated as an employee if you were unincorporated, and if the only thing between you and a tax bill is that you’re administering a limited company, then there is actually nothing between you and a tax bill.

Predictably this thread has headed the same way as as every other Ltd Co thread before it :unamused:

Rjan:

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:

Big Truck:

Given that the case relates to circumstances several years ago, there probably hadn’t been the rush toward incorporation at that point.

But there probably won’t be that many cases appealed purely on the point, because the IR35 legislation (if I understand it correctly) allows the taxman to ask “what if” there was no Ltd Co - would the arrangements mean the person would be an employee of the hirer? If so, then PAYE is due anyway as if the income is wages.

So if you would now be treated as an employee if you were unincorporated, and if the only thing between you and a tax bill is that you’re administering a limited company, then there is actually nothing between you and a tax bill.

This to me is where your explanation/understanding hits the rocks. It appears to assume a person setting up a Ltd Co does so for tax avoidance. The current rules are that if you are a director of a company you are liable for corporation tax, tax on dividends over 5k (about to change) and PAYE if you take a wage. I personally take both a wage and dividends. Notwithstanding my circumstances are not as described above… but the rules are what they are.

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:
[…]

This to me is where your explanation/understanding hits the rocks. It appears to assume a person setting up a Ltd Co does so for tax avoidance.

Well if an unincorporated person would be treated as an employee, and the mere presence of the Ltd Co is supposed to prevent that, then how is it not attempted tax avoidance?

A person who is genuinely in business can be so without incorporation - that was historically the norm.

As I’ve already admitted I’m not an expert on IR35 (yet), but if my general impression of it is wrong then please correct me.

The current rules are that if you are a director of a company you are liable for corporation tax, tax on dividends over 5k (about to change) and PAYE if you take a wage. I personally take both a wage and dividends. Notwithstanding my circumstances are not as described above… but the rules are what they are.

No, if you are a director of a company that is in business then what you say is right. If the company is not in business, but is merely an employment intermediary, then what you say is wrong, and the taxman can challenge the arrangements you describe.

So just to put my finger on the point, are we in agreement that if an unincorporated person working under a particular arrangement would be considered an employee and liable for PAYE, then the use of a Ltd Co does not change the situation (because the intermediaries legislation will apply)?

You must accept that the very existence of the intermediaries legislation (and which has involved real taxpayers getting stung for PAYE whilst working under proper Ltd Co arrangements) contemplates the existence of Ltd Cos whose directors are not actually in business but who are in an employment relationship.

peirre:
Predictably this thread has headed the same way as as every other Ltd Co thread before it :unamused:

I must admit I’m confused what the dispute is about regarding the use of Ltd Cos.

The law relating to whether a person is treated as employed or not is far from straightforward. I can see why some members might hold the opinion that they are in business.

But the law couldn’t be clearer that if an unincorporated person working a particular arrangement would be taxable as an employee, then the same person will also be taxable as an employee if he works under the same arrangements but contracts via his directorship of a limited company.

Some members appear to think, and I may be wrong about this impression, that the mere use of a Ltd Co somehow makes them self-evidently “in business”.

If that were the case, nobody would ever have been liable under IR35, because the taxpayers concerned would have just pointed to their use of their Ltd Co and said “look, I’m clearly in business because I’ve got a Ltd Co”.

Members don’t seem to grasp the point that you can be a director of a Ltd Co, and be administering it in a way that properly and genuinely reflects how a businessman would administer a Ltd Co, and yet still be held not to be in business.

Rjan:

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:
[…]

This to me is where your explanation/understanding hits the rocks. It appears to assume a person setting up a Ltd Co does so for tax avoidance.

Well if an unincorporated person would be treated as an employee, and the mere presence of the Ltd Co is supposed to prevent that, then how is it not attempted tax avoidance?

A person who is genuinely in business can be so without incorporation - that was historically the norm.

As I’ve already admitted I’m not an expert on IR35 (yet), but if my general impression of it is wrong then please correct me.

The current rules are that if you are a director of a company you are liable for corporation tax, tax on dividends over 5k (about to change) and PAYE if you take a wage. I personally take both a wage and dividends. Notwithstanding my circumstances are not as described above… but the rules are what they are.

No, if you are a director of a company that is in business then what you say is right. If the company is not in business, but is merely an employment intermediary, then what you say is wrong, and the taxman can challenge the arrangements you describe.

So just to put my finger on the point, are we in agreement that if an unincorporated person working under a particular arrangement would be considered an employee and liable for PAYE, then the use of a Ltd Co does not change the situation (because the intermediaries legislation will apply)?

You must accept that the very existence of the intermediaries legislation (and which has involved real taxpayers getting stung for PAYE whilst working under proper Ltd Co arrangements) contemplates the existence of Ltd Cos whose directors are not actually in business but who are in an employment relationship.

We are not only not in agreement - I doubt we can get close. The position of a company director is not defined by the work they do but instead by their responsibilities in terms of what is written in law. That IS why there is not one case of action against a director on the basis you assert. It’s just long winded waffle without a shred of real - stand up evidence - based entirely on zilch. A director is an officer of the company and exempt from the usual etc etc… tis all published on .gov. No amount of diatribe waffle changes the current situation. Circles x circles on this one.

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:
[…]

We are not only not in agreement - I doubt we can get close. The position of a company director is not defined by the work they do but instead by their responsibilities in terms of what is written in law. That IS why there is not one case of action against a director on the basis you assert. It’s just long winded waffle without a shred of real - stand up evidence - based entirely on zilch. A director is an officer of the company and exempt from the usual etc etc… tis all published on .gov. No amount of diatribe waffle changes the current situation. Circles x circles on this one.

IR35 specifically applies to directors! There are certainly cases against directors who have been found to be “employed” by their clients - albeit I don’t know whether a reported case exists involving both IR35 and also a driver (it is probably true that most occupations have not been the subject of a specific reported case).

There are also most certainly reported cases against HGV drivers involving their employment status, but again seemingly all reported cases have involved unincorporated arrangements where the employer is accountable for PAYE - and therefore I assume maybe there is a belief that lack of incorporation would have been the key factor which meant these drivers were treated as employed rather than in business.

I can only glean what else your disagreement is, but I assume you think I’m challenging the ability of a director to pay themselves dividends (at the dividend tax rate) based on company profits. I’m not challenging that.

I’m saying that such part of the company’s profits which arise from the “employment” of the director by his clients (as opposed to arising from his being self-employed in his own business and carrying out business transactions), then they should be accounted for under the IR35 rules (which effectively taxes the income as employment income).

If you truly think I’m wrong it would be helpful not only to myself but all members if you’d point out where exactly.

Perhaps that is why this issue rears its head repeatedly, because members take positions on the issue but become “tired” when asked to explain the grounds for their opinion or reconcile those opinions with facts which are mentioned in the course of discussion.

Rjan:
IR35 specifically applies to directors! There are certainly cases against directors who have been found to be “employed” by their clients - albeit I don’t know whether a reported case exists involving both IR35 and also a driver (it is probably true that most occupations have not been the subject of a specific reported case).

The devil though is in the detail, notably the previous instance you flagged up fell a long way from a director who is paid as a director of her/his own company. So without providing material evidence - all we have is heresay - call me picky but I prefer reliable records which can be scrutinised and checked to see if they are valid to a specific case.

I have to apologise and say… I don’t have time to address all of your questions. In fact have to pretty much speed read… which comes with the obvious potentials…

If you ever come across a case where a Co Director, who is paid through their own company - who is told they must cease trading & the company is forced to close. … I’d be very interested.

All the best.

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:

The devil though is in the detail, notably the previous instance you flagged up fell a long way from a director who is paid as a director of her/his own company. So without providing material evidence - all we have is heresay - call me picky but I prefer reliable records which can be scrutinised and checked to see if they are valid to a specific case.

Which previous instance? You mean the First Tier Tax Tribunal case I referred to, Dhillon v HMRC [2017]? Yes it is true that the workers in those cases were not using Ltd Cos (i.e. PSCs, personal service companies). That wasn’t the point of the case - the point of the case was that they were found not to be in business.

(I’m becoming more familiar with the issue and the legal terminology involved. In the context of drivers who are directors of their own limited company and provide their own labour through the company which they direct, then the limited company is considered to be a “personal service company”.)

If you want a reference to a case that involves a worker operating through a PSC being stung for tax, then there are plenty of examples going back donkey’s years. For example, Dragonfly Consulting v HMRC [2008]: bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2008/2113.html

(Also, commentary on the same case: accaglobal.com/uk/en/technic … onfly.html)

I quote from the text of the Dragonfly case (which itself quotes a judge discussing the IR35 rules):

"The legislation does not strike at every self-employed individual who chooses to offer his services through a corporate vehicle. Indeed it does not apply to such an individual at all, unless his self-employed status is near the borderline and so open to question or debate. The whole of the IR35 regime is restricted to a situation in which the worker, if directly contracted by and to the client “would be regarded for income tax purposes as an employee of the client”.

Between the two cases quoted, we have authority both for the proposition that directors of PSCs can be stung for PAYE tax on all the income they receive from the client (notwithstanding that they are directors), and authority that supposedly “self-employed” drivers are not actually in business for themselves but are employed by the owner of the wagons.

I accept I have no case to refer to which specifically involves a driver working through a PSC, but there is no reason to think drivers working through a PSC would be treated any differently from IT contractors working through a PSC (as in Dragonfly v HMRC), or that drivers claiming to be self-employed as company directors would be treated any differently from drivers claiming to be self-employed as sole traders (as in Dhillon v HMRC).

I have to apologise and say… I don’t have time to address all of your questions. In fact have to pretty much speed read… which comes with the obvious potentials…

Why bother half-reading a discussion thread, expressing a wholly unsubstantiated opinion, and then repeatedly half-replying to follow ups?

All people are busy sometimes, and some people are busy all the time, but I find it hard to understand why those supporting the driver-as-businessman theory are all busy all of the time. Being so short of time by habit, one wonders whether they ever sat down and tried to interpret the law for themselves, as opposed to just following hype or obeying past experience of what they can get away with (which may be neither legal, nor a guide to the future).

If you ever come across a case where a Co Director, who is paid through their own company - who is told they must cease trading & the company is forced to close. … I’d be very interested.

All the best.

I don’t understand how this relates to what we have been discussing. No director has ever been told to cease trading (for any reason in connection with this discussion). It is simply that the taxman may challenge the director on whether he is calculating his taxes correctly on his tax returns (whether in respect of himself or the company he trades through) - which, depending on the answer, certainly might cause the director to choose to cease trading, or cause the company to be wound up (or even the directors themselves to enter bankruptcy).

I’m not going to drill back… but I’m pretty sure I’ve repeated to adnauseam - people must pay the correct amount of tax.

Seems to me you are arguing about nothing… everyone knows if people evade tax they could be liable to actions - criminal or otherwise. Regardless of your employment status… I thought this thread was about ‘Employment Status’ ?

Jingle Jon:
I’m not going to drill back… but I’m pretty sure I’ve repeated to adnauseam - people must pay the correct amount of tax.

Seems to me you are arguing about nothing… everyone knows if people evade tax they could be liable to actions - criminal or otherwise. Regardless of your employment status… I thought this thread was about ‘Employment Status’ ?

To quote John Prescott MP, you started this bloody argument :laughing:

You asked me whether the Dhillon v HMRC case concerned sole traders or PSCs, seemingly because you think working through a PSC changes the situation somehow.

In terms of tax (which is surely the reason why drivers the country over are so keen on using PSCs), there is no difference, because the legislation allows the taxman to look through the PSC intermediary, and ask the question “would this person’s contract be considered a contract of employment if they contracted directly with the client?”. The Dhillon case shows that drivers will generally be treated as employees, if that question is asked.

The administration of a corporate entity is not itself enough to demonstrate that a person’s relationship with the client is one of business. In other words it is possible to be a company director working for someone who purports to be your client, and yet it be held by a court that you are not in business.

In terms of employment rights, the picture is less clear cut. The courts have relatively recently shown themselves more ready to stop accepting arrangements which are mere charades, and to ignore written contracts that “don’t reflect reality”. But I’m not aware of a reported case involving a director working through a PSC asserting employment rights against a client (let alone an adjudication on the issue).

Up to now some workers have mostly chosen freely to set up a limited company for the perceived tax advantages or even for the real opportunity it provides to evade tax, so those using PSCs have mostly represented those who want to be seen as self-employed in order to avoid tax, not those reluctantly forced to accept the label. Directors of PSCs who are currently evading tax have a lot to lose, tax-wise, by being declared an employee.

That may change if workers are increasingly forced to adopt limited company working in order to get work, and as the taxman clamps down on evasion by chasing drivers for evaded tax, we may then see more people bringing cases to argue that their limited status is a sham in the same way that sole traderships have been declared shams, and that they want holiday pay etc.

Rjan:

Jingle Jon:

You asked me whether the Dhillon v HMRC case concerned sole traders or PSCs, seemingly because you think working through a PSC changes the situation somehow.

Yes, I think that because that is the law / regulation at this time. I have pointed you to the .gov website where the details can be seen.

As for the rest… assumption - lacking any evidence. I don’t assume people go to the trouble of administrating a company to dodge tax.

There many reasons people set up in business. Not least is the freedom of making your own decisions. And to be blunt - people who work as employees will always be dictated to… including being told what is the value of their labour and when they must work.

I remember someone once said… if you wanna be rich you son of a ■■■■■ ill tell you what to do. Never sit down with a tear or a frown & paddle your own canoe.

I’ve gone around in circles on this subject far too much now.

I’m done.

Jingle Jon:

Rjan:

Jingle Jon:

Yes, I think that because that is the law / regulation at this time. I have pointed you to the .gov website where the details can be seen.

I can honestly say I missed that particular reference. I’d like to see authority for the proposition that operating a PSC is inherently associated with being in business, because (besides common sense) I’ve provided some authority that the courts (and the legislators) are not willing to accept that merely being a director or engaging in the administration of a corporation is synonymous with being in business. Even dormant companies, which are by definition not in business, have directors with legal responsibilities and require some residual administration.

(There is a counter-point, however, that where there is a complete lack of business administration, then it is probably difficult for a person to establish that they are in fact in business. All legitimate and properly ordered businesses involve some administration.)

And a person can be both in business and employed outside that business at the same time (i.e. a director retains the capability of dealing in a personal capacity), so even if a person is legitimately in business, the courts are still free to determine that particular contracts (express or implied) fall inside the director’s personal realm and not within the business of the corporation he directs.

Another relevant point too is that in the Uber case, the employment judge was asked to rule on which corporation (of several candidates) was actually the contractual counterparty to the worker. The judge rejected an express written contract that specified a foreign subsidiary was the counterparty, and instead implied a contract with Uber’s domestic subsidiary which was completely contrary to all written documentation and contrary to how Uber wanted the arrangement to be seen. We’ll have to wait for the outcome of the appeal on that case though.

As for the rest… assumption - lacking any evidence. I don’t assume people go to the trouble of administrating a company to dodge tax.

I’m afraid I do make that assumption in the context of lorry drivers.

There many reasons people set up in business. Not least is the freedom of making your own decisions. And to be blunt - people who work as employees will always be dictated to… including being told what is the value of their labour and when they must work.

There is no inherent reason why employees can’t dictate their own hours or work as casuals. There isn’t a law against it. And you don’t escape the power of the employer to set your terms simply by rebranding yourself as a director and calling the employer your customer.

Trucker-Millward:
Hello,

I work for DHL full time but im hopefully leaving to be self employed as a Petroluem tanker driver.

Anyone help me with the best way to transition to self employed and what’s the best route to take ie sole trader etc

Do I need an accountant or best to do it myself?

What can I claim for and how much?

Thanks

Lee

Well thought I’d come back and tell everyone how Iv got on. The first post on this thread was 7th August and now its 17th Oct.

In that time, I handed my notice in at work , Iv sorted my accountant out ( I’m self employed) and completed my PDP theory/Practical which was provided by the new company. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, but all coming together nicely.

Thanks

Trucker-Millward:

Trucker-Millward:
Hello,

I work for DHL full time but im hopefully leaving to be self employed as a Petroluem tanker driver.

Anyone help me with the best way to transition to self employed and what’s the best route to take ie sole trader etc

Do I need an accountant or best to do it myself?

What can I claim for and how much?

Thanks

Lee

Well thought I’d come back and tell everyone how Iv got on. The first post on this thread was 7th August and now its 17th Oct.

In that time, I handed my notice in at work , Iv sorted my accountant out ( I’m self employed) and completed my PDP theory/Practical which was provided by the new company. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, but all coming together nicely.

Thanks

Did you contact HMRC for advice ref going SE to drive another man’s truck full time??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk