Self appointed traffic marshalls

Conor:

GORDON 50:
Fully understand your point, but if that that lorry was on the inside the driver knows that all the cars that pass him will end up cutting in further up and delaying him even more, not defending it at all and I never did it.
But zip merging doesn’t seem to work in this country, there’s always some muppet trying to cut in at the very last second.

Err zip merging is cutting in at the very last second…

Unfortunately lots of people who don’t understand it is supposed to be zip merging don’t let those in the other lane merge in turn because they feel those people who have correctly used the road have queue jumped.

Agreed.

Maybe its something to do with the British and queuing, but people don’t seem to get the concept of zip merging, so they move to the left (normally) as soon as they see the sign, leaving a short fast moving queue in the right hand lane and long slow moving queue left lane, full of people who believe those going down the right hand lane are in the wrong and try and stop them getting in.

Maybe there should be a media campaign for that and other common misconception about driving, bit like the old public information films.

Some examples or an excuse to go down memory lane. :laughing:

Some examples or an excuse to go down memory lane. :laughing:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkdyupzZHI

the maoster:
To my eternal shame when I was in my twenties I used to be “that” guy! I was the one sat in lane two blocking the traffic in order to stop the queue jumpers. When limiters came in I was the nougat who’d overtake anything a fraction of a mph slower than me regardless of the chaos behind me, I’d knock it into neutral on a downhill section in my desperation to get past, id outbrake other lorries on approach to roundabouts just to eke out a little advantage. In short I was a complete [zb]!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:
youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

:laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Fur queue! :smiley: :smiley:

Hurryup&wait:
If in a queue in the chipper or shop or whatever and someone jumps past me I politely remind them to wait their turn. Call me a self appointed queue marshall if you wish but I don’t deem them to be superior or have any right to waste more of my time in order to save some of theirs.

So without being antagonistic but to contribute to the discussion …In the traffic situation described above the drivers that see the queue has started but rather than merge they believe they should skip the queue now add significantly to the delay for themselves as well as everyone else.

The result is the whole lot comes to a complete stop up front to let them merge at the last moment from standing traffic and the resulting speed through the bottleneck is less than 10 mph.

Had the VIP’s merged at the back of the queue the speed through the bottleneck is usually 30-50 mph meaning minimum delay for all.

Zip merging should always be done with rolling traffic even if you have to start 10 miles back and the roll should not be allowed to stop for anyone that marooned themselves in the closed lane.

Spot on. Absolutely hate the R soles who can’t read Road Works 800m , 600m etc.

Seen it done right in a lot of forign countries, works great but you do need educated drivers that know the deal.

GORDON 50:
But zip merging doesn’t seem to work in this country

I’ve heard that excuse in several countries before and it’s simply not true. In line with many here, I also used to be the dimwit blocking a lane until common sense got ahold of me. If both lanes are equally crowded will no-one feel unequal.

The problem is actually the misinformed folk who change lanes too early.

Highway Code Rule 134.

Since we all have a copy and read it from time to time I’ll leave it there.

Zip merging only works when the lane are both travelling at aa steady speed in line with the other lane.

The problem arises because one lane slows and the other lanes people fly past as fast as possible to get to the front then anchor up as others don’t want to let them in.

If all lanes flow at a steady speed then merging is possible and people are more likely to allow others to merge in turn.

Either way people are selfish ignorant and rude and quite often because of that even zip merging does not work.

I’ve often say in a flowing lane but rolled along at a steady speed til it’s time to merge and even then people don’t like letting you in.

Everyone is always in a rush and more important then everyone else.

Just today going up Alfreton hill is a prime example on my way to work. It’s 2 lanes because its a steep hill.
I’m doing 60mph up the hill when a crappy little fiat comes blasting past me to get one car ahead to then slow down in 30mph section and be stuck behind other cars going slower.

Was there any need to blast past me to get a whole car ahead of where they were going to be anyway? No yet people still do it, it’s the mentality of I must get ahead of this vehicle on front, same in roadworks your about to hit the merge point and yet cars still come flying past and cut in at thr last second just to get in front of a truck, to only then be in a 50mph section and stuck behind other vehicles or even worse slow down to less than 50mph thus holding everyone behind up even more.

I just enjoy being miserable now and again.

And there, he rests his case.

As they say in NZ, merge like zip & not like a ■■■■ :slight_smile:

simcor:
Zip merging only works when the lane are both travelling at aa steady speed in line with the other lane.

The problem arises because one lane slows and the other lanes people fly past as fast as possible to get to the front then anchor up as others don’t want to let them in.

If all lanes flow at a steady speed then merging is possible and people are more likely to allow others to merge in turn.

Either way people are selfish ignorant and rude and quite often because of that even zip merging does not work.

I’ve often say in a flowing lane but rolled along at a steady speed til it’s time to merge and even then people don’t like letting you in.

Everyone is always in a rush and more important then everyone else.

Just today going up Alfreton hill is a prime example on my way to work. It’s 2 lanes because its a steep hill.
I’m doing 60mph up the hill when a crappy little fiat comes blasting past me to get one car ahead to then slow down in 30mph section and be stuck behind other cars going slower.

Was there any need to blast past me to get a whole car ahead of where they were going to be anyway? No yet people still do it, it’s the mentality of I must get ahead of this vehicle on front, same in roadworks your about to hit the merge point and yet cars still come flying past and cut in at thr last second just to get in front of a truck, to only then be in a 50mph section and stuck behind other vehicles or even worse slow down to less than 50mph thus holding everyone behind up even more.

This. Sums it up. Sums up a working day actually, especially the highlighted bit. The problem isn’t bad driving, it’s bad behaviour.