"Security Breach" followed by "Card Not Closed" next day

I always eject on break mode, and insert with break mode selected. The problem I am talking about arises because the digi device by-passes the normal “Manual Entry Y?” bit, and then books the “card out” time through as not just solid “other work” - but actual driving hours since my last shift. Then a 4.5 hours driving exceeded flashes up… I’ve done nothing wrong, but it looks like I’ve just driven 20.34 hours straight without a break, a serious infringement… Has this happened to anyone else?

It is a problem I’ve had happen twice in the last three months, but before that? - Never before.

Winseer:
I always eject on break mode, and insert with break mode selected. The problem I am talking about arises because the digi device by-passes the normal “Manual Entry Y?” bit, and then books the “card out” time through as not just solid “other work” - but actual driving hours since my last shift. Then a 4.5 hours driving exceeded flashes up… I’ve done nothing wrong, but it looks like I’ve just driven 20.34 hours straight without a break, a serious infringement… Has this happened to anyone else?

It is a problem I’ve had happen twice in the last three months, but before that? - Never before.

You can’t be on break when you’re putting a card or chart in the tacho that’s other work just like collecting the keys,walking to the truck and climbing into the cab.

How can it book anything on your card if the card wasn’t in the tacho ?.That would totally defeat the object of a tacho. :confused:

Winseer:

Sounds like there’s a software fault with the OBU, even if the card is removed for 2 minutes, when reinserted you should be promoted to complete a manual entry to cover the period the card was out, if it is the same as you left ie rest then there’s no issue and no need for a manual entry, but if you took it out on rest and then 2 hours later you returned having done some admin or course attendance, then you would need to enter that.

The card when ejected with mode set to “Break” then comes up with a “security breach” error, and spits the card out normally.

The next day, I get a different vehicle, set mode to break for inserting the card, and the card just goes in, and books my daily rest though as Driving Time without giving me the chance to make a manual entry.

I don’t think it is to do with the individual vehicles, but rather a software issue across ALL the digicard devices and cards…

Does anyone on here remember “Digicard Blow Up Day” around 2014 - when cards expiring later that year all came up with “invalid card” when inserted for the start of a shift? THOUSANDS of us!

Winseer:

I don’t think it is to do with the individual vehicles, but rather a software issue across ALL the digicard devices and cards…

I think your card is defective (unless your colleagues are seeing the same issue?)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Defective card or operator error. Simple as that.

Difficult to envisage an operator error that would cause a security breach to be flagged (other than maybe opening the head unit’s case, or prising the card out of the slot)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

We had this error and it was just a frayed wire. The wiring needs looking at, by an approved tacho centre.
The unit will be faulty until this is done.

Cosmic:
We had this error and it was just a frayed wire. The wiring needs looking at, by an approved tacho centre.

Entirely feasible ^^^ but multiple same faults on different vehicles at the same time at the same depot? If I was TM my antenna would be twitching at that and wondering if perhaps a driver was getting creative with the tacho heads.

the maoster:

Cosmic:

Entirely feasible ^^^ but multiple same faults on different vehicles at the same time at the same depot? If I was TM my antenna would be twitching at that and wondering if perhaps a driver was getting creative with the tacho heads.

It’s not clear from what has been posted here that the fault has actually been cropping up on different vehicles - only the after-effects (when he subsequently inserts his “unclosed” card into a new tacho).

7 posts up ^^^^ Winseer states next day, different vehicle and he gets the same problem.

the maoster:
7 posts up ^^^^ Winseer states next day, different vehicle and he gets the same problem.

No, he said he got the “security breach” message and then saw the driving time issue when putting his card in another vehicle - what I referred to as “after-effects”. It wasn’t made clear whether the “security breach” error was seen in different vehicles.

For the avoidance of doubt, the “problem” occurs when the card is ejected (along with the security breach message) leaving the card “not closed”. When it is later inserted into another head unit (any head unit - even one that is working 100% normally) anomalies will crop up.

Mind you, my money is still on it being a defective card.

Roymondo:

the maoster:

No, he said he got the “security breach” message and then saw the driving time issue when putting his card in another vehicle - what I referred to as “after-effects”. It wasn’t made clear whether the “security breach” error was seen in different vehicles.

For the avoidance of doubt, the “problem” occurs when the card is ejected (along with the security breach message) leaving the card “not closed”. When it is later inserted into another head unit (any head unit - even one that is working 100% normally) anomalies will crop up.

Mind you, my money is still on it being a defective card.

This has happened to others at the depot as well btw. It doesn’t seem to be based on any particular vehicle, any particular digicard. I am still trying to find out what causes the initial “security breach” upon reaching the end of a duty, switching mode to break as I always do, pressing to eject the card - and THEN getting the “security breach” message as the card gets spat out of the device…

I didn’t make the link to the insertion of the card for the next shift - until on 2 out of 2 occasions that next shift went straight to “card not closed”, bypassing the normal opportunity to make a manual entry, and then booking through the daily rest period - however much that happened to be - as solid driving, rather than other work, POA, or Break… This, despite switching the device on a different vehicle each time to “break” before inserting the card.

I’d like to know if this is happening to anyone else of late - which would suggest that it is an issue with the entire digi software system, as it was on “card self-destruct day” back in 2014, when a load of our digicards came up “card invalid” all of a sudden, which DVLA replaced at no charge - but neglected to give us anything for “free” such as extending the original expiry date on each card… We merely got let off the normal £15 fee for replacing a lost or damaged card. :frowning: Hardly much of a “freebie” for all the inconvenience thus caused by something which was duly a software issue, and entirely NOT the drivers fault for the thousands of drivers affected on that occasion…

OP - Is this a similar issue to what I have presented details of here? If it were my card, then it wouldn’t be happening to others - but by no means everyone at the depot I’m working at…

Those affected - don’t want to be carrying around reams and reams of digiprintouts forever and ever… So let’s get this sorted by isolating what seems to be a wide-spread problem, and try and nail down the source of this entire issue… :bulb:

Franglais:

Roymondo:
The only thing “obliging” you to take a 45 minute break at the start of your shift is you - not the tachograph. Likewise the 20 hours driving time erroneously recorded is not actually impacting on your fortnightly drive time, other than in your head. Report the fault and crack on as normal.

Agree.
How is a 45 going to reset a 20hr continuous drive?

If you continue to drive with the “4.5hrs exceeded” warning flashing up on the device every few seconds - then surely for a quiet life at very least, it is better to just clear a 45 break off, to stop the mickey mouse messages if nothing else?

Winseer:
This has happened to others at the depot as well btw. It doesn’t seem to be based on any particular vehicle, any particular digicard:

… as I said… You’re welcome :wink:

Winseer:
OP - Is this a similar issue to what I have presented details of here? If it were my card, then it wouldn’t be happening to others - but by no means everyone at the depot I’m working at…

Er - Trucknet appears to be borked. From where I sit, you are or at least, appear to be, the OP. Why are you asking yourself this question…?