Second job horrible!

silverman:
Plan your route on a map first. Dont rely solely on a satnav.

I thought the same after reading the OP.

Truckers atlas with bridge heights and weight limits, or even Google maps, means you can see a wide area and get a feel for where you’re going, you can then programmes your route into the sat-nav to save trying to read a map on the move, but the important thing is you have checked your route and aren’t leaving it to a computer program and digital cartographer.

The rest of it, been thrown in at the deep end, crappy truck, well I think most of us experienced that in our early days and realising that you are responsible for something that can be a serious risk to others will hopefully mean you treat it with respect and take care.

And as for ■■■■ days feeling out of my depth when I first started, there were loads of them, many forgotten about now, other I have a laugh about, like getting a Police ■■■■■■ to a factory in Accrington after getting stuck in a Cul de Sac, or taking 23 attempts to get on a loading bay, in front of an audience of warehouse staff.

My first ever day on the job (back in June) was also a Baptism of fire day. Couldn’t work out how to use the tuck-under tail-lift because it kept hitting the chassis rails (eventually knew how to by raising the suspension), struggling to manhandle two tonnes of gravel in dumpy bags onto the tail-lift with a pump truck (very nearly crushed my right foot with one of them) and very nearly leaving several packs of exercise books at the wrong school! :blush:

Also, the caretaker at one of the schools I was delivering to wanted me to manhandle one pallet’s worth of exercise books from the pallet itself into a classroom whilst there was a lesson in progress. :imp:

steviespain:
Absolutely yes, we’ve all done that. Some may not admit to it, but we have ALL been there.

Grow a thick skin, be prepared to stop and weigh stuff up. If that involves getting out of the truck and seeing for yourself what is going on, how much room you have, do it, and do it early.
And do not be bothered by the other road users beeping their horns or being impatient. Generally though, they’ll be ok and wait for you.
Think ahead, maybe you could have gone over the mini roundabout and then took a turn off to enable you to turn around easier?
If necessary, rope in a suitable member of the public, a working joe, you can tell who’ll be ok. Get them to watch your back as you reverse.

i made a right ■■■■-up last year…had a collection that i knew was next to a low bridge in Long Eaton…unfortunately i got to the wrong side of the bridge :frowning: so i’m facing the bridge amongst all the shops and loads of traffic,i parked up,got out and had a look…nowhere nearby suitable to turn an artic around,but a friendly pedestrian asked if he could help :slight_smile: so i got him to stop all the traffic while i reversed over to the other side of the road,then reversed about half a mile amongst all the traffic until i could find a suitable side street to back into.so,OP,as steviespain is saying…next time…Don’t Panic! and grab a passer-by to help you out.
and if it does go pear-shaped…you can always blame him! :laughing:

…and carry a spare hi viz so he/she looks official :smiley:

If you can use a A TO Z great if not then your not the only one mate as I struggle myself… have to keep checking where I’m going and hard to do that while driving. I use a tom tom trucker 6000… put extra width and height on it and make sure it’s on truck setting. Around Halifax yes the roads can be very tight same with Bristol if you ever head that way. I only driven hgv’s for 2 years now and still learning mate. Regarding the weight restrictions if you need to go through it because your destination is within 1 mile through that route then keep an eye of a sign below the weight restriction “except for access” you should be ok then to go through but use caution. Sometimes it’s much safer to enter the weight restriction and find space to turn around maybe reverse into a side street? Than actually going to turn around in a busy spot. My first time driving a truck after passing my testtewas a 26T double decker Hiab truck used for breakdown recovery and Rtc’s lol and that was a 4 over 4 gearbox. Took bit time get used to it lol.

Oh yh on my first day with that truck… yes mate I did cause a big big big mistake lol best if I don’t put it on here. :laughing:

Thanks again for all the sympathy and stories.

I now can rest easy that everyone messes up from time to time.

I think good planning and navigation are very important.