Scania emissions

Bking:
Place where I work has a Scania blowing “white smoke”
EGR heat exchanger failed as usual.
They rang scania and they want two grand!!!
Told em about the "tuppeny " repair.
You get two penny washers,braze up the hole in the middle,grind them down to fit the inlet and out let coolant pipes and braze them in.
No more leaks,pass mot no problem,bit more power and maybe half a mile per gallon gain in fuel consumption.
Happy days.
Why pay two grand for something that does absolutely sod all except make these robbin main agents a lot richer at your expense?
Its all a scam.

That is exactly what it is, a scam!
Recently it emerged that Volvo had been colluding with the EPA in the USA to further decrease emissions to the point where their latest technology will be within the limits. Thereby making their current trucks obsolete overnight and forcing operators to buy the latest models.

As you say Bking, they still haven’t got EGR right yet and that’s been around since 2002. They keep adding more and more crap to reduce emissions, which mostly achieves its intended purpose by keeping the lorry sat in the dealers with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

The public and industry backlash against modifications to bypass all this crap and get a lorry to run properly and use less fuel in the process is only because of the ■■■■■■■■ they’ve been told, none of which has any scientific proof.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

It got to the stage with DAF that roadsweeper where a nightmare with EGR ,IT HAD NO CHANCE TO REGENERAGE doing 5mph…That you now get a city version of the engine for sweepers ie no EGR but it still has the DPF …Though the 3 new weepers I recently put on the road had EGR

I can say hand on heart that at any one time at least 10/15 percent of our Daf Euro6 fleet is vor for emission related problems!
The Daf dealers are still learning what the fixes are.

That will be the same for all manufacturers …Its not just the dealers learning ,the manufacturers are still learning …And they are learning off the dealernet

norb:
Tricky ,any warning lights on (i’ll no doubt get this wrong lol) on euro 6 is a fail but not euro5 and before …it was part of the change in may …We phoned the station before a test for a vehicle with a warning on and they said it isn’t a fail//Then they wanted to fail it when presented …Luckily our lad reminded them of the call and it was passed lol…Obviously it was repaired before being returned

Hi Norb. My Euro 5 vehicle failed it’s test because it was displaying an MIL light on the dash. The tester, although sympathetic, would listen to no argument even though the fault codes related to a failure of the thermostatic fan hub. These are the rules from 20/5/2018 and apply to vehicles of all ages and specs. (I’m told)

Old John:

norb:
Tricky ,any warning lights on (i’ll no doubt get this wrong lol) on euro 6 is a fail but not euro5 and before …it was part of the change in may …We phoned the station before a test for a vehicle with a warning on and they said it isn’t a fail//Then they wanted to fail it when presented …Luckily our lad reminded them of the call and it was passed lol…Obviously it was repaired before being returned

Hi Norb. My Euro 5 vehicle failed it’s test because it was displaying an MIL light on the dash. The tester, although sympathetic, would listen to no argument even though the fault codes related to a failure of the thermostatic fan hub. These are the rules from 20/5/2018 and apply to vehicles of all ages and specs. (I’m told)

This is normal for DVSA like I said I can’t remember what one a tester told us would pass…But they probably at this time are not sure of the new rules …We had a dispute as they failed a tyre …the teste was adamant it was a fail ,even Goodyear said it was legal and explained how it changed as it wore ,he still wasn’t having it lol…Eventually the failure was over turned as even his bosses agreed it wasn’t a failure…

norb:
That will be the same for all manufacturers …Its not just the dealers learning ,the manufacturers are still learning …And they are learning off the dealernet

Weve got a few scanias, and I have to say I detest the things, underneath its all old fashinoed carp (reminds me of the 3 series), rides like carp, handles like carp, pita to work on, still got a bloody oil spinner thats needs cleaning, BUT very rarely vor due to emissions problems, a couple are going down now for emissions faults but they are close on 500k and Scania told us the dpf had a life of approx 500k.
They do like their starter motors though, so much so we no keep one on the shelf, no warning they just stop working, at least the Daf one gets noisy giving you advance warning

The Euro 6 Dafs are a genuine lottery, its not just one of them going wrong, its all of them literally one after another, MX11 and the PX7 engines.

3 series was a great truck …well apart from heater control cables,and the throttle not connecting when putting the cab down
I don’t get your issues with the PX7 AND MX 11 .I work in the dealernet and have had no major engine problems with either of them

Hey Norb your a main agent “technician” probably couldnt change a tyre but there you go.
It keeps you and you “breed” in a job.
Because lets face it without all this horse ■■■■ you and most of the main agent “staff” would be on the dole.
Thats what its all about
Making money for a bunch of useless pillocks.

The 3 series was a great truck, as were the rest of the Euro2/3 trucks, EDC was a revelation and we had good power/torque, good economy and reliability.

Then they started with EGR and the rest of that crap and things went downhill in a hurry. Until then engines would easily run for a million miles without big problems. Most of those turn of the century trucks are still running fine in the countries they were exported to and will no doubt outlive the trucks that replaced them.

newmercman:

Bking:
Place where I work has a Scania blowing “white smoke”
EGR heat exchanger failed as usual.
They rang scania and they want two grand!!!
Told em about the "tuppeny " repair.
You get two penny washers,braze up the hole in the middle,grind them down to fit the inlet and out let coolant pipes and braze them in.
No more leaks,pass mot no problem,bit more power and maybe half a mile per gallon gain in fuel consumption.
Happy days.
Why pay two grand for something that does absolutely sod all except make these robbin main agents a lot richer at your expense?
Its all a scam.

That is exactly what it is, a scam!
Recently it emerged that Volvo had been colluding with the EPA in the USA to further decrease emissions to the point where their latest technology will be within the limits. Thereby making their current trucks obsolete overnight and forcing operators to buy the latest models.

As you say Bking, they still haven’t got EGR right yet and that’s been around since 2002. They keep adding more and more crap to reduce emissions, which mostly achieves its intended purpose by keeping the lorry sat in the dealers with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

The public and industry backlash against modifications to bypass all this crap and get a lorry to run properly and use less fuel in the process is only because of the ■■■■■■■■ they’ve been told, none of which has any scientific proof.

++1 and its getting more “outlandish” every ■■■■■ day !

norb:
3 series was a great truck …well apart from heater control cables,and the throttle not connecting when putting the cab down
I don’t get your issues with the PX7 AND MX 11 .I work in the dealernet and have had no major engine problems with either of them

Weirdly just spoken to my mate down the local Daf dealer and he reckons they arent seeing as many issues as we are having.
I looked before I finished shift today and there was at least 6 Euro6 CF models vor, which is about the norm.

Been out to another piece of scania garbage today,Blowing smoke and gone into “limp” mode.
EGR flap valve broken “again”
What a piece of garbage.
600 quid for the exhaust elbow ,gas rings and other such parafanalia.
Just sick of being ripped off by these thieves.
Just weld the broken stub in the open position.
Every other week this crap fails.
Beyond a joke now.

Just an update, it was the fuel pump… All replaced and it’s back to normal… Just aswell it was still under warranty’ was not cheap :open_mouth:

yt03:
Just an update, it was the fuel pump… All replaced and it’s back to normal… Just aswell it was still under warranty’ was not cheap :open_mouth:

Wont be much change out of 1200 quid for the part alone i would think

ok…so what to look for when buying R480 2010 with 650k km? Has had new turbo and clutch done last year…