Salisbury alleged Russian connection [Merged]

Mazzer2:
The idea of calling someone brainwashed just because of what they say this could be used as a catch all to anyone who has a different opinion without having to explain your argument.

It’s your lot who haven’t and can’t possibly explain,how handing Syria over to the Saudi backed Al Nusra type nutter zb savages would be better for Syria than Assad’s rule.As I said brainwashed.

Check out the bird with the phone.

youtube.com/watch?v=so8jly1VTNA 0.18

Oh look the freedom to not need to even have her head covered with a scarf let alone be covered in a burka.How would that be possible under the type of medieval Saudi backed Jihadist Islamic rule that your lot want to inflict on the place and its people.

Although just to show that unlike you I can do balance maybe Putin can explain how that fits an alliance with Islamic revolutionary Iran.

Mazzer2:

Rjan:

Mazzer2:

Carryfast:
How can you say diplomacy ‘won’t work’ in this case bearing in mind that it’s the west which is doing all the provocation of Russia.From sabre rattling on Russia’s borders to claiming the Ukraine and Crimea as part of the EU let alone the ridiculous idea that Assad is the problem in the Middle East and the Saudi savages and their sub contract nutters like Al Nusra are the solution.

As for the Balkans you do know that US and the UK actually bombed the zb out of Serbia in support of the Bosnian Islamic rabble.Followed by the just as idiotic US government of the day ordering Brit forces to attack Russian positions who luckily for us all actually refused the order.The result of all that being that ISIS is now deeply entrenched in Bosnia using it as a base to attack Europe.That worked out well. :unamused:

You sound like a brainwashed deep state May and Blair supporter.

Lol and you sound like someone form the left who resorts to name calling as soon as someone disagrees with you.

You keep going on about name calling. Where did he resort in his post to mere name calling?

The idea of calling someone brainwashed just because of what they say this could be used as a catch all to anyone who has a different opinion without having to explain your argument.

But that’s just rhetoric following two full paragraphs of a substantial argument (whether you accept it or not) - no reasonable person would say that the overall character of his post was a personal attack, or that it lacked any attempt at explanation as you would have it. I’ve written in total probably a few sides of A4 across a few posts in response to every single point you’ve made, and Carryfast can often outdo me.

I take issue with this perception that left-wingers (or radicals in general, since I’m not sure Carryfast accepts the left-wing characterisation and I’m doubtful myself!) are simply slinging insults all the time without engaging in serious consideration of the issues raised, their victims being the centrists who characterise themselves as moderate, sensible, sensitive thinking types being buried under the weight of abuse.

The problem on military action is that the case for it lacks integrity. Nobody wants to cause or allow human suffering, nobody wants the world to be lawless. But what the Blairites won’t see is the manifest folly that has already occurred through military action (big and small) in the Middle East, that has consistently undermined all the goals of humanitarianism and civil security that their military actions were supposed to have promoted, and it is they who resort to repeating bankrupt mantras and refuse to engage in the critiques that have been put time and again.

The fact that the Blairites are consistently polite and measured in how they patronise (or even lie to) the electorate and express their rigid views, whereas their opponents on the left (and frankly also increasingly on the right) amongst the populace may attack them with slander and hyperbole, doesn’t really make much difference to the substance of the issue, which is that they are typically receiving a reply that is just as vacuous as the case they put.

Perhaps also, many people who don’t have the skills or inclination to engage on the substance of an argument, are nevertheless expressing publicly their view that their targets lack good will or moral fibre, and politicians should be looking at themselves to explain why public trust is so low.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
Just to pick up on one small aspect of the arguments here.
There seems a consensus that it is unjust for ousted dictators to seek refuge away from justice.
On a human level, that must be right. But consider: a dictator with nowhere to go will fight longer and harder, causing more hardship and death to innocents, than one who has an escape route. It may not ease our comfortable western consciences much, but the oppressed are better served by letting them go maybe?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The logical solution for Syria would have been for the Russians to grant him asylum thus taking him out of the equation, the only way it will end now is with the death of Assad but the Russians will keep on protecting him. Should he go on to defeat the rebels what is he going to be left with? An ungovernable country where the majority of the people will hate him and peace will never return until a government that is either acceptable to all or made up of one that is representative of the country’s ethnic make up

Assad might well go once the war is won. What the Russians want is quite simply to maintain the integrity of the state in Syria. The “majority of people” do not hate Assad - he enjoys, or at least did enjoy, a significant amount of support, just as Saddam Hussein did.

And if Assad’s management led to the civil war we see, and he’s survived only by the skin of his teeth and seen most of the country reduced to rubble, there is no doubt that he will be pressured to do things differently in future.

The Russians had a greatly civilising influence in Afghanistan in the 70s and 80s, and they poured billions into the place. As a totemic example, women could wear mini-skirts on the streets of Kabul in the 1970s, whereas the intervention of the Americans in the 80s and 90s led to right-wing Islamist extremists coming to power, and today the place is a war zone. This is the reality of what Western intervention is doing in the region.

Rjan:
The Russians had a greatly civilising influence in Afghanistan in the 70s and 80s, and they poured billions into the place. As a totemic example, women could wear mini-skirts on the streets of Kabul in the 1970s, whereas the intervention of the Americans in the 80s and 90s led to right-wing Islamist extremists coming to power, and today the place is a war zone. This is the reality of what Western intervention is doing in the region.

^ This.

The tragedy is that the so called ‘right’ in the form of the average American and so called ‘left’ in the form of the average Soviet Russian actually shared common ground and a common interest on the issue of dealing with Islamic extremism.The Sha’s Iran in the the case of the US and Afghanistan in the case of Russia.Then somehow that agenda all got twisted into the so called Left thinking that it would be a good idea to destroy the Sha’s Iran because it was considered as being Capitalist and vice versa Soviet style Afghanistan because it was considered by the so called ‘right’ as being Communist.

Which leaves the total cluster zb now of the US supporting the Islamic extremist savage Wahhabist Saudis and Russia supporting the equally savage Islamic revolutionary Iranian regime.With poor bleedin Assad and his suffering people caught in the middle of this stupid pointless mad and counter productive proxy argument between Russia and the Western Globalist establishment in the form of the Blairites,May and Macron and whatever has happened to Trump.Bearing in mind that the average Russian and US citizen both want the same thing in bringing peace and civilisation to the Middle East and as was shown in Soviet style Afghan and US style Iran it’s so easy to do if us and Russia co operate in the region instead of needlessly looking for reasons to fight with each other. :frowning:

youtube.com/watch?v=VL3iY38eInA

Carryfast:

Mazzer2:

It’s your lot who haven’t and can’t possibly explain,how handing Syria over to the Saudi backed Al Nusra type nutter zb savages would be better for Syria than Assad’s rule.As I said brainwashed.

Check out the bird with the phone.

youtube.com/watch?v=so8jly1VTNA 0.18

Oh look the freedom to not need to even have her head covered with a scarf let alone be covered in a burka.How would that be possible under the type of medieval Saudi backed Jihadist Islamic rule that your lot want to inflict on the place and its people.

Although just to show that unlike you I can do balance maybe Putin can explain how that fits an alliance with Islamic revolutionary Iran.

Lol and who are my lot? |I’ve said that I disagree with the gassing of women and children didn’t realise that automatically grouped me into a ‘lot’

Rjan:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
Just to pick up on one small aspect of the arguments here.
There seems a consensus that it is unjust for ousted dictators to seek refuge away from justice.
On a human level, that must be right. But consider: a dictator with nowhere to go will fight longer and harder, causing more hardship and death to innocents, than one who has an escape route. It may not ease our comfortable western consciences much, but the oppressed are better served by letting them go maybe?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The logical solution for Syria would have been for the Russians to grant him asylum thus taking him out of the equation, the only way it will end now is with the death of Assad but the Russians will keep on protecting him. Should he go on to defeat the rebels what is he going to be left with? An ungovernable country where the majority of the people will hate him and peace will never return until a government that is either acceptable to all or made up of one that is representative of the country’s ethnic make up

Assad might well go once the war is won. What the Russians want is quite simply to maintain the integrity of the state in Syria. The “majority of people” do not hate Assad - he enjoys, or at least did enjoy, a significant amount of support, just as Saddam Hussein did.

And if Assad’s management led to the civil war we see, and he’s survived only by the skin of his teeth and seen most of the country reduced to rubble, there is no doubt that he will be pressured to do things differently in future.

The Russians are there to gain influence and control they are not doing it out the good of their heart Assad will forever be a puppet of the Russian regime, not a great deal different to the interventions in the middle east by the west. Putin is at present playing the classic dictator card of when things are not going well at home look for a diversion, at present he can blame all of Russia’s ills on the west without an independent media to question what is happening he can look the big strong leader standing up against all those who wish do Russia down. Russia probably faces a bigger threat from Islamic terrorism than the west from it’s former states worldwide cooperation to defeat this would be a better option.

Mazzer2:
Lol and who are my lot? |I’ve said that I disagree with the gassing of women and children didn’t realise that automatically grouped me into a ‘lot’

The same ‘lot’ who want to give May and Macron and their NWO deep state allies carte Blanche to kick off WW3 against Syria and Russia over a load of dodgy false flag bs.Let alone who see the Saudi backed Wahhabi Jihadist Syrian ‘rebels’ as a better bet to take over Syria than supporting moderate Assad’s continuing rule there.

In a similar way that Blair’s war in Iraq resulted in nothing but aggro for all concerned,having got what the muppet wanted there in the form of regime change,also based on false flagged WMD’s.

Mazzer2:

Rjan:

The Russians are there to gain influence and control they are not doing it out the good of their heart Assad will forever be a puppet of the Russian regime, not a great deal different to the interventions in the middle east by the west.

I agree that the Russians have interests at stake, and aren’t just acting as a benevolent ambulance service for failed states, but who can complain if the regime does become a puppet, given how poorly the regime has coped on its own, and if the alternative is for the state to fall apart at the seams?

I have to say that I can’t think of a single example where the Russians or the Soviets have promoted a backward regime or caused the collapse of states anywhere in the world, although I’m willing to be corrected and concede there may be a bias in the scope of my existing knowledge. The Americans on the other hand have done it consistently - sometimes undoing the good that the Russians have done (as with Afghanistan), sometimes undoing the good that the Americans themselves have previously done (such as in Iraq with Saddam Hussein). It can’t keep happening.

Putin is at present playing the classic dictator card of when things are not going well at home look for a diversion, at present he can blame all of Russia’s ills on the west without an independent media to question what is happening he can look the big strong leader standing up against all those who wish do Russia down. Russia probably faces a bigger threat from Islamic terrorism than the west from it’s former states worldwide cooperation to defeat this would be a better option.

Indeed it does face a threat from Islamic terrorism, as do we all, and that’s precisely another reason why Russia is not willing to tolerate the collapse of more regimes in the Middle East owing to wrongheaded American and European foreign policy!

I don’t want to sound like I’m blowing Putin’s trumpet, but by god Russia is a developed and civilised state, whereas the risk in places like Syria is not simply cronyism, a distasteful lack of liberalism, or suspicions of extrajudicial killings - features of Russian society that may well be ironed out in the long term - it is the complete collapse of the state and civil society itself. The gravity of the social evil and harm that results from such conditions cannot be overstated.

It is also worth mentioning in passing that the anti-Assad forces and rebel groups themselves are not superior to Assad, morally or ideologically. At best their success would achieve a change of faces and put the boot on the other foot, at worst these are backward groups - tribal factions, religious fundamentalists, and so on, whose ideology and agenda may bear no relation to that of the developed nations.

The reason people like me don’t vote Labour isn’t anything to do with Corbyn, who hasn’t been the leader of the opposition for that long.
It’s the rest of that rabble, including the so-called “172” who won’t get behind Corbyn and actually push for some proper, traditional Labour policies.

So there it is. A working class bod like me, who can’t vote for a party because it isn’t a worker’s party, and hasn’t been since Dennis Healy, or even Tony Benn - didn’t get to become PM.

Now I can’t even vote Conservative any more, because the once-party of law & order seems to have been dismantled in favour of some lukewarm centerist rubbish that, whilst offends no one (we’re told) - ends up serving no one either. :unamused:

Theresa May has moved to the center, and didn’t learn the reasons why the Libdems went from 57 seats to 9 in 2015, and only dead-cat-bounced to a measly 12 in last year’s election.

“The Center” is only of importance in a game of Chess. Putin might be playing Chess, but the Western powers are playing Corrupt Renaissance Pope style “No Limit Holdem”. In NLHE - you stand to lose EVERYTHING if you ■■■■ about with “mediocre” situations and set-ups.

Sooner or later, some Russian SAM is going to catch a passing plane, be it Israeli, Saudi, American, or even British.
The big question then will be “What happens next?”

The Americans keep saying “Our attack is done” and yet more pot shots seem to be being taken at Syria, most likely from Israel at this time. Are Israel encouraging America and Russia to escalate a conflict between them?

It doesn’t matter. Russia don’t actually have to retaliate, just shoot down as much as they can over Syrian airspace to win the political and moral argument.
Meanwhile, back in Salisbury - Who’s seen the 3 people said to have been affected by this increasingly flimsy looking “Nerve Agent Attack.”?

If this had been a real incident of Russia’s making - the authorities would try to hush it up, rather than fly off the handle, and let it sour relations, where continued good relations stood to reduce the price of imported energy, especially post-brexit.
Therein, lie the true reasons that our government seeks to sour relations with Russia then. “No, you shall not benefit from Brexit. Russia support Brexit dontchya know? We’ve told you to now Hate Russia. Do so. Meanwhile, Brexit ain’t gonna happen, and I’m retiring in 2021 anyways, so I don’t give a ■■■■ if I make my old Party unelectable. They should have removed me whilst they had the chance! Amateurs!”

It’s inceasingly looking like May deliberately threw away her majority - to keep the Back Benchers in line! They all know that another forced election right now would see Labour win more seats than the Tories. Work has already started to remove Corbyn in time for any forced early election, of course… Labour would be better off putting a proper Shadow Cabinet in place - assuming they actually want to have a shot at winning an outright majority in any forthcoming election! If they don’t, then the next government will end up being one of “National Disunity” where Corbyn ends up being PM, but having his strings pulled by the centerists, rather than his own party, or the rump of the Conservatives that manage to keep their seats - Rudd and Johnson NOT being “of them”. :bulb:

Winseer:
So there it is. A working class bod like me, who can’t vote for a party because it isn’t a worker’s party, and hasn’t been since Dennis Healy, or even Tony Benn - didn’t get to become PM.

Dennis Healey was anything but for the workers.He was an establishment puppet totally onside with Callaghan and who engineered the below inflation wage increase limits,which hit the lowest paid hardest and which rightly brought Callaghan down in 1979 albeit resulting in the collateral damage of replacing Callaghan with Thatcher.While at the same time helping Callaghan with the mass transfer of UK jobs to Europe.As for Benn he was good but not as good as Shore would have been as PM at least.

While in this specific case Corbyn is making more sense than May and all the other establishment deep state muppets.While ironically Corbyn also probably can’t be turned as easily as Trump was in that regard.Which is what is obviously bringing the Blairites out in force again possibly to topple Corbyn by the next election.If not use him to keep the Socialist vote onside and then ditching him in favour of a Blairite like Starmer.

express.co.uk/news/politics/ … -poisoning

Carryfast:

Winseer:

Dennis Healey was anything but for the workers.He was an establishment puppet totally onside with Callaghan and who engineered the below inflation wage increase limits,which hit the lowest paid hardest and which rightly brought Callaghan down in 1979 albeit resulting in the collateral damage of replacing Callaghan with Thatcher.While at the same time helping Callaghan with the mass transfer of UK jobs to Europe.As for Benn he was good but not as good as Shore would have been as PM at least.

On Healey, I agree that whilst he had some memorable rhetoric, he was considered to be on the right of Labour at the time (although almost everyone of that era appears hard-left by more recent standards).

The ultimate cause of the high inflation of the 70s was the oil crisis, which sent inflation soaring across the world, and workers were strong enough at the time to defend their wages against inflation (effectively insisting that the increased cost of oil be paid for out of reduced profits and the pockets of the rich). But like the crash in 2008, the way the Tories have written history is to suggest that it was all the Labour government’s fault.

And once Labour started to push the line that the main problem was worker strength or the union barons, along with the fact that they went with the begging bowl to the IMF and presided over several more years of union-battling which provoked widespread industrial action (although the economy as a whole recovered dramatically under Labour in the late 70s), then naturally a proportion of the populace decided to throw their cards in with the Tory party under Thatcher.

And even though the economy plummeted again under Thatcher, Labour split in 1981, and by 1983 things were looking up again in the economy generally (owing somewhat probably to the fact that international oil prices started to plummet again after 1980), and Thatcher won an even greater majority (on a reduced vote share, due to the split), and from that point Labour shifted decisively to the right (as had many of the better-off working class who were being given the public family silver through discounted council houses and cheap or free shares and so on, and whose jobs were not immediately imperilled by Thatcherism). Labour is only now really recovering from that loss in 1979.

And beyond the crude bribery of the Thatcher government, what we now call neoliberalism and faith in markets was back in the ascendancy as a public ideology in the 1970s and 80s, whereas a lot of people were sick of the cronyism and apparent spanish practices of the unions and indeed the collapsing solidarity amongst the working class (and the pre-war generation who had been through the 1930s as youths or adults were almost completely retired by 1979). It only takes a couple of percent of people to be influenced overall to shift an election.

There is a significant parallel to what New Labour did in 2008, which was to begin implementing austerity, indulging the narrative that they had overspent or “failed to fix the roof whilst the sun was shining” (even though, like 1973, it was a worldwide crisis, albeit one caused by the excesses of free markets and neoliberalism itself, rather than by external factors like oil supply), and that ultimately paved the way for the Cameron government in 2010 (albeit in coalition with the LibDems). Miliband diluted his left-wing agenda so much that Labour barely recovered any votes in 2015 whereas Cameron had detoxified the Tories, and because of the LibDem betrayal, lots of voters swung either further to the right with Ukip or into alternative left-wing parties like the Greens, or just didn’t vote.

The lesson is that whenever the Labour party attacks the working class, the country swings further to the right. That’s why Corbyn is a breath of fresh air, has reinvigorated Labour (swelling the membership ranks and gaining the second-highest number of votes since WIlson in the 1960s), and has pulled the public narrative decisively to the left again (even before he has gained power), because we have a Labour party once again threatening to tackle the rich and do something for workers, instead of the craven Blairite b@stards who were in the pockets of the rich.

And the biggest irony of all is that even the IMF, once upon a time the enforcer of neoliberal policies around the world, criticised the policy of austerity and lends some modest support for Corbyn’s policies! Many of the rich themselves can see that capitalism is in a crisis of its own making, and are starting to come around to left-wing policies as a way of both relieving pressure and kickstarting capitalism again.

Like in the 1960s, radical productivity improvements and extensive automation are now seen as the way forward, and like in the 1960s, robust social security (such as a universal basic income), better employment protections, and other redistributive mechanisms that ensure workers benefit from having their existing jobs and skills abolished, are seen as the grease that will allow the economy to adapt without causing political collapse, and forcing wages up and putting low-road competitors out of business, is seen as the way of compelling bosses to invest in such productivity and automation.

Even the LSE recently put out a paper insisting that our choice is between socialism and barbarism.

Rjan:

Carryfast:

On Healey, I agree that whilst he had some memorable rhetoric, he was considered to be on the right of Labour at the time (although almost everyone of that era appears hard-left by more recent standards).

The ultimate cause of the high inflation of the 70s was the oil crisis, which sent inflation soaring across the world, and workers were strong enough at the time to defend their wages against inflation (effectively insisting that the increased cost of oil be paid for out of reduced profits and the pockets of the rich). But like the crash in 2008, the way the Tories have written history is to suggest that it was all the Labour government’s fault.

And once Labour started to push the line that the main problem was worker strength or the union barons, along with the fact that they went with the begging bowl to the IMF and presided over several more years of union-battling which provoked widespread industrial action (although the economy as a whole recovered dramatically under Labour in the late 70s), then naturally a proportion of the populace decided to throw their cards in with the Tory party under Thatcher.

And even though the economy plummeted again under Thatcher, Labour split in 1981, and by 1983 things were looking up again in the economy generally (owing somewhat probably to the fact that international oil prices started to plummet again after 1980), and Thatcher won an even greater majority (on a reduced vote share, due to the split), and from that point Labour shifted decisively to the right (as had many of the better-off working class who were being given the public family silver through discounted council houses and cheap or free shares and so on, and whose jobs were not immediately imperilled by Thatcherism). Labour is only now really recovering from that loss in 1979.

And beyond the crude bribery of the Thatcher government, what we now call neoliberalism and faith in markets was back in the ascendancy as a public ideology in the 1970s and 80s, whereas a lot of people were sick of the cronyism and apparent spanish practices of the unions and indeed the collapsing solidarity amongst the working class (and the pre-war generation who had been through the 1930s as youths or adults were almost completely retired by 1979). It only takes a couple of percent of people to be influenced overall to shift an election.

There is a significant parallel to what New Labour did in 2008, which was to begin implementing austerity, indulging the narrative that they had overspent or “failed to fix the roof whilst the sun was shining” (even though, like 1973, it was a worldwide crisis, albeit one caused by the excesses of free markets and neoliberalism itself, rather than by external factors like oil supply), and that ultimately paved the way for the Cameron government in 2010 (albeit in coalition with the LibDems). Miliband diluted his left-wing agenda so much that Labour barely recovered any votes in 2015 whereas Cameron had detoxified the Tories, and because of the LibDem betrayal, lots of voters swung either further to the right with Ukip or into alternative left-wing parties like the Greens, or just didn’t vote.

The lesson is that whenever the Labour party attacks the working class, the country swings further to the right. That’s why Corbyn is a breath of fresh air, has reinvigorated Labour (swelling the membership ranks and gaining the second-highest number of votes since WIlson in the 1960s), and has pulled the public narrative decisively to the left again (even before he has gained power), because we have a Labour party once again threatening to tackle the rich and do something for workers, instead of the craven Blairite b@stards who were in the pockets of the rich.

And the biggest irony of all is that even the IMF, once upon a time the enforcer of neoliberal policies around the world, criticised the policy of austerity and lends some modest support for Corbyn’s policies! Many of the rich themselves can see that capitalism is in a crisis of its own making, and are starting to come around to left-wing policies as a way of both relieving pressure and kickstarting capitalism again.

Ironically more like it was actually Callaghan’s Socialist ideology and his treacherous cabinet of such notable muppets as Healey,Varley,Dell,Jenkins and Prentice which created the situation in which our economy was hit harder than Germany’s to the point of IMF loan desperation and Healey’s idiotic attacks on wages and then scapegoating the unions as a result.

When by that time North Sea oil was coming online in ever increasing amounts while Callaghan’s and his rabble as listed were exporting it,along with Brit jobs, to help their EU cronies like the Germans etc as fast if not faster than it was coming out of the ground.To the point where Germany and German workers were laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Whereas a Nationalist as opposed to a Socialist line would have been expected to use it to reduce the inflationary pressures at home and let the Germans be the ones who were hit by the resulting inflation spiral caused by it,not Brits.Again Nationalism and protectionism was/is the solution not naively thinking that it’s our responsibility to help everyone else at our expense.Or in that case subsidising the German economy at the expense of Brit workers to meet the US geopolitical aims of the day.Which is ironic bearing in mind that the reason we are now ■■■■■■■ off the Russians and Brexit is being sabotaged is ultimately all about similar reasons.IE US geopolitics including the globalists plans combined with a Labour Party that’s still so crippled by Socialist dogma that it can’t/won’t realise that the reality of Socialism means doing what’s good for our foreign competitors at our expense.

Carryfast:

Rjan:

^ This.

The tragedy is that the so called ‘right’ in the form of the average American and so called ‘left’ in the form of the average Soviet Russian actually shared common ground and a common interest on the issue of dealing with Islamic extremism.The Sha’s Iran in the the case of the US and Afghanistan in the case of Russia.Then somehow that agenda all got twisted into the so called Left thinking that it would be a good idea to destroy the Sha’s Iran because it was considered as being Capitalist and vice versa Soviet style Afghanistan because it was considered by the so called ‘right’ as being Communist.

Which leaves the total cluster zb now of the US supporting the Islamic extremist savage Wahhabist Saudis and Russia supporting the equally savage Islamic revolutionary Iranian regime.With poor bleedin Assad and his suffering people caught in the middle of this stupid pointless mad and counter productive proxy argument between Russia and the Western Globalist establishment in the form of the Blairites,May and Macron and whatever has happened to Trump.Bearing in mind that the average Russian and US citizen both want the same thing in bringing peace and civilisation to the Middle East and as was shown in Soviet style Afghan and US style Iran it’s so easy to do if us and Russia co operate in the region instead of needlessly looking for reasons to fight with each other. :frowning:

youtube.com/watch?v=VL3iY38eInA

It’s just nuts that the Western governments have this thing about “prevention” when it comes to it’s own leaders being “Of the RIght”. Centerist politicians “pretending” to be of the Right, such as Merkel and now May - are fighting a losing battle by simple “Not being Right enough.” It’s like when we have over here, the Conservatives, traditionally the “Party of Law and Order” now shying away from any kind of order keeping whatsoever. Brudders, Islamics, Knife wielding ethnics, teen-abusing Asians, Compensation claiming vehicle passengers, and even “black lives matter ” have created nothing more than a society where the boot is on the other foot, rather than actual “Equality in Society”. In a world of political aggression, if one shows any weakness - then there will always be someone else, usually an entire faction out there that will take advantage, and put the political boot in at the earliest opportunity.

The West lamblasts Poland, Hungary, and Austria for electing Right-wing governments, and attempts to “News Blackout” them, to reduce positive publicity over their new terms in office. AfD in Germany can now be added to that list. Heard anything of the AfD of late? Nope. News Blackout. No news from Germany, unless it’s somehow negative for the AfD.

Meanwhile, in the Middle East - we have a weak secular government of Assad being subject to “Regime Change” without “who’s army” being involved. Nothing is said of Right-wing extremists Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Turkey. The western powers need to either shut up about their own Right wing number OR start actually getting hostile vs the aggression of the RIght wing middle east!

Then there’s Russia. Putin has clearly taken his country where he’s very popular - to the Right of communism, whilst maintaining those aspects of Communism that actually work in the far-flung set of North Asian republics that make up Russia today. In my mind, this needs a firm hand to rule properly. All the West can do is attack, scheme, and lie about his progress on that front though.

China? They have the leader they want, with the power for popular reform. The “People’s Republic” actually does try and live up to that name.
I’m no “Commie Lover”, but it seems to me that what’s wrong with the Left in the West, is that they really need to be more like China and Russia’s version of “Left” - but shy away from it.
Meanwhile, the Western Right are lamblasted off the stage, whilst tolerated in those governments in between. “WTF?” doesn’t begin to describe what’s wrong with the world today. :frowning:

Winseer:
I’m no “Commie Lover”, but it seems to me that what’s wrong with the Left in the West, is that they really need to be more like China and Russia’s version of “Left” - but shy away from it.
Meanwhile, the Western Right are lamblasted off the stage, whilst tolerated in those governments in between. “WTF?” doesn’t begin to describe what’s wrong with the world today. :frowning:

Firstly the terms left and right are now just obsolete and meaningless terms.

Also although I wouldn’t trust China’s and Russia’s agenda,in the form of their threats and their support of North Korea and Iran and China’s actions in Tibet,there’s no point in needlessly provoking them.

While it’s clear that the West is under the rule of a corrupt form of Globalist Capitalism and all the contradictions that go along with it.From subsidising the Chinese regime and military within the exploitative global free market trade regime.To picking a fight with China’s Russian ally whether it be false flags based on inviting internal Russian power struggles onto our streets or being against Russia’s support of moderate Assad in Syria.While the Globalists support the Wahhabist Saudi head choppers and their colonisation of Europe.

Also don’t think that Orban can be trusted any more than Trump.

Carryfast:

Rjan:
[…]

Ironically more like it was actually Callaghan’s Socialist ideology and his treacherous cabinet of such notable muppets as Healey,Varley,Dell,Jenkins and Prentice which created the situation in which our economy was hit harder than Germany’s to the point of IMF loan desperation and Healey’s idiotic attacks on wages and then scapegoating the unions as a result.

There was nothing “ideologically socialist” about them. Benn and Foot represented the socialist wing of the Labour party. The difference in Germany is that their industrial relations were indeed far more workmanlike, and German workers didn’t have to spend the 50s and 60s constantly fighting stroppy and opportunistic bosses for every little thing, and that’s why the oil shock didn’t cause as much inflation and unrest there as here.

When by that time North Sea oil was coming online in ever increasing amounts while Callaghan’s and his rabble as listed were exporting it,along with Brit jobs, to help their EU cronies like the Germans etc as fast if not faster than it was coming out of the ground.To the point where Germany and German workers were laughing at us all the way to the bank.

I don’t know why you’ve got this grudge against the Germans. The only time Germany has done better than the UK overall for economic growth, was in the 80s when Thatcher was hacking away at our economy. It perhaps has a more successful economy on some measures, and a more productive labour force, because it has invested in those things for decades whilst right-wing governments in Britain declined to do so - and some things, like it’s skilled engineering capability, have been policies pursued and nurtured since the 19th century.

It’s like they say in the second world war, Germany had the finest engineered tanks whereas Stalin simply clapped them together, and that ironically was their hobble, because it meant Stalin churned them out like a printing press and could simply overwhelm the Germans.

The idea that we should have hoarded North Sea oil in the 1970s and beggared our neighbours, would not only have caused ■■■-for-tat responses (like how China is menacing Trump with ■■■-for-tat tariffs in response - even the US’s trade deficit being caused by it’s own economic policies in the first place), but it’s evocative of the very struggles for control of natural resources amongst the imperial powers that contributed to the World Wars!

Indeed, the 1973 oil shock was caused by the OPEC nations’ response to the foreign policy of the US (and it’s ally the UK) in the Middle East.

Whereas a Nationalist as opposed to a Socialist line would have been expected to use it to reduce the inflationary pressures at home and let the Germans be the ones who were hit by the resulting inflation spiral caused by it,not Brits.Again Nationalism and protectionism was/is the solution not naively thinking that it’s our responsibility to help everyone else at our expense.Or in that case subsidising the German economy at the expense of Brit workers to meet the US geopolitical aims of the day.Which is ironic bearing in mind that the reason we are now ■■■■■■■ off the Russians and Brexit is being sabotaged is ultimately all about similar reasons.IE US geopolitics including the globalists plans combined with a Labour Party that’s still so crippled by Socialist dogma that it can’t/won’t realise that the reality of Socialism means doing what’s good for our foreign competitors at our expense.

I don’t recognise any of your nonsense railing against socialism - what socialist has ever seen anything good in the ideology of the United States? I’m not against protectionism to regulate class relations or trade balances - that is, to promote fairness. But not as a form of unqualified national preference - if you do the latter, you’ll just cause (at best) ■■■-for-tat responses or (at worst) war, in the same way that if you try to hoard food or water for yourself and deny them to everyone else, you force people to strike out against you in a life-or-death battle for them.

Like I say, that kind of nationalist protectionism caused the World Wars, as nations scambled to gain and preserve access to the resources they needed for their economies, and to deny that to their opponents.

Rjan:

Carryfast:

There was nothing “ideologically socialist” about them. Benn and Foot represented the socialist wing of the Labour party. The difference in Germany is that their industrial relations were indeed far more workmanlike, and German workers didn’t have to spend the 50s and 60s constantly fighting stroppy and opportunistic bosses for every little thing, and that’s why the oil shock didn’t cause as much inflation and unrest there as here.

I don’t know why you’ve got this grudge against the Germans. The only time Germany has done better than the UK overall for economic growth, was in the 80s when Thatcher was hacking away at our economy. It perhaps has a more successful economy on some measures, and a more productive labour force, because it has invested in those things for decades whilst right-wing governments in Britain declined to do so - and some things, like it’s skilled engineering capability, have been policies pursued and nurtured since the 19th century.

It’s like they say in the second world war, Germany had the finest engineered tanks whereas Stalin simply clapped them together, and that ironically was their hobble, because it meant Stalin churned them out like a printing press and could simply overwhelm the Germans.

The idea that we should have hoarded North Sea oil in the 1970s and beggared our neighbours, would not only have caused ■■■-for-tat responses (like how China is menacing Trump with ■■■-for-tat tariffs in response - even the US’s trade deficit being caused by it’s own economic policies in the first place), but it’s evocative of the very struggles for control of natural resources amongst the imperial powers that contributed to the World Wars!

Indeed, the 1973 oil shock was caused by the OPEC nations’ response to the foreign policy of the US (and it’s ally the UK) in the Middle East.

I don’t recognise any of your nonsense railing against socialism - what socialist has ever seen anything good in the ideology of the United States? I’m not against protectionism to regulate class relations or trade balances - that is, to promote fairness. But not as a form of unqualified national preference - if you do the latter, you’ll just cause (at best) ■■■-for-tat responses or (at worst) war, in the same way that if you try to hoard food or water for yourself and deny them to everyone else, you force people to strike out against you in a life-or-death battle for them.

Like I say, that kind of nationalist protectionism caused the World Wars, as nations scambled to gain and preserve access to the resources they needed for their economies, and to deny that to their opponents.

You’ve contradicted yourself in saying on one hand it was the oil crisis which did it not Brit industrial strife and then on the other that it was Germany’s better industrial relations which was the over riding factor in the fortunes of the German economy not the oil crisis.Also don’t recognise your idea that their economy also wasn’t out performing ours bearing in mind it was Callaghan who had to go begging to the IMF not the Germans.

Then you’ve said that Callaghan’s regime wasn’t Socialist.When I’ve posted a documented example of Heffer having to defend himself ( and by inference Benn and Shore ) that he wasn’t taking a Nationalist line ( when he/they clearly was/were taking a Nationalist line he/they just didn’t know it although I suspect Shore at least did ) against Callaghan’s and Jenkins’ correct statements that it was they who were taking the Socialist line.

Which you’ve then confirmed yourself by going along with their bs policy of handing over British oil stocks to the Germans to help them to ride out the economic storm caused by the Arab oil embargo and resulting price escalation.While Brit workers were hit with wage cuts and job losses,ironically including massive transfer of jobs from Brit car plants to German ones in the case of Ford and GM.So who was actually shafting who in that grubby deal.While you’ve then got the nerve to say that if we’d have kept our own oil stocks to insulate our own economy,at the expense of the EU ( Germany ) then they would have hit us.Exactly how could they have hit us any further when we were already the ones being screwed into the ground by the whole deal. :unamused:

As for what caused the two world wars.No they were caused by people like Churchill needlessly getting us involved in WW1 with his French ‘allies’.When it could have been limited to a localised dispute between Austria/Germany v Russia/Serbia which would have all blown over in very short order with minimum loss of life on both sides.Meaning no Versailles treaty and no Hitler then taking advantage of the aftermath.Nor a UK economy smashed by the costs of both wars.

While there was never going to be any way that even with the best possible peace that Germany and Britain couldn’t be extreme competitors.While as I’ve said your ideas seem closer to Heath’s and Callsghan’s than Benn’s let alone Shore’s in preferring to sell out the country’s interests on a bs Socialist/Globalist crusade.

Which is why we’re now in the situation of May doing another Churchill with Labour’s support and Corbyn a puppet of the Blairites ( new Callaghanites ) and like you being crippled by Socialist ideology which by definition means tying us to the global free market agenda of the Globalists and recognising and bowing down to the supremacy of Commy China.Because you think that looking after our own interests,in the form of protectionism,just ain’t fair to our competitors and caused the 1920’s/30’s crash.When it was actually caused by race to the bottom wage slashing economics meaning no one had enough to spend.Nothing new in any of that.

Does any of that explain the Machiavellian antics of the West’s alliance with the Saudi head choppers against moderate Assad.Or Russia’s alliance with both moderate Assad and nutter zb Islamic revolutionary Iran and China.Or why May and Macron seem determined to pick a fight with Putin seemingly based on the perception that he is an anti Globalist Nationalist,while they are all diverting attention from and appeasing China as part of the same Globalist plan,no. :confused:

I’m not so much “Against Socialism” myself, just against this lukewarm version of it.
I feel the same about “Capitalism”. It’s this lukewarm version of Capitalism that is everything wrong with it.
A bit of a paradox.

A socialist government cannot “refuse wars” because that is inviting to be invaded.
A socialist government cannot spend other people’s money forever.
A socialist government CAN fix the roof whilst the sun is shining, build up an economy that works for as many as possible, then TAX that economy, to pay for all the things we want.

So… Start for ten is "Why didn’t the last socialist government just cut to the chase, and go to step three, and avoid steps one and two above?

A Capitalist government cannot “Refuse Investment” - because that is inviting to be shorted on the international markets.
A Capitlalist government cannot make a profit every day, will not be bailed out when things go wrong, and will be cut loose when stepping out of line.
A capitalist government CAN raise money for all sorts of spending projects IF it taxes the profits of ALL of the businesses operating in it’s taxable domain.

Here, we have step One being turned over… Then Step two not being implemented at all, and step three? Surely as easy as falling off a log…

Big business bribes governments to not tax it.

Therefore, we’ve yet to have a proper capitalist government, because the ideal will always be “Bribed off the map” before it ever gets started.

Tax Amazon. Tax Starbucks. Tax any foreign franchise operating in this country. If they want to “pull out of the UK” as a result, then compulsory-purchase the entire UK operation for a quid, and be done with it.

Only punitive action by government - demands the respect both at home, and abroad - for getting done what needs to be done to, at last bring this country kicking and screaming into the 21st century proper, only 18 years late! :bulb:

Winseer:
I’m not so much “Against Socialism” myself, just against this lukewarm version of it.
I feel the same about “Capitalism”. It’s this lukewarm version of Capitalism that is everything wrong with it.
A bit of a paradox.

A socialist government cannot “refuse wars” because that is inviting to be invaded.
A socialist government CAN fix the roof whilst the sun is shining, build up an economy that works for as many as possible, then TAX that economy, to pay for all the things we want.

So… Start for ten is "Why didn’t the last socialist government just cut to the chase, and go to step three, and avoid steps one and two above?

A Capitalist government cannot “Refuse Investment” - because that is inviting to be shorted on the international markets.
A Capitlalist government cannot make a profit every day, will not be bailed out when things go wrong, and will be cut loose when stepping out of line.
A capitalist government CAN raise money for all sorts of spending projects IF it taxes the profits of ALL of the businesses operating in it’s taxable domain.

Here, we have step One being turned over… Then Step two not being implemented at all, and step three? Surely as easy as falling off a log…

Big business bribes governments to not tax it.

Therefore, we’ve yet to have a proper capitalist government, because the ideal will always be “Bribed off the map” before it ever gets started.

Tax Amazon. Tax Starbucks. Tax any foreign franchise operating in this country. If they want to “pull out of the UK” as a result, then compulsory-purchase the entire UK operation for a quid, and be done with it.

Only punitive action by government - demands the respect both at home, and abroad - for getting done what needs to be done to, at last bring this country kicking and screaming into the 21st century proper, only 18 years late! :bulb:

Trust me having been one you really wouldn’t want the full fat version of Socialism.Which by definition means anything from ■■■■ Germany to Soviet Russia to red China or a combination of all three.To the point where someone could be kicked out of their own house and rehoused in a high rise block because property rights are no longer recognised and their need is considered less than that of perceived more loyal Party members/larger immigrant family etc etc.Unless that is you consider yourself as being a beneficiary of that type of regime.

You can add to that the situation of Rjan’s obvious predictable preference of looking after foreign interests at he expense of our own.Which explains the ideological alliance of Socialists with Globalists like May and Macron or even a combination of both in the form of the Blairites.

Which leaves Capitalism run properly in the interests of our own workers and not needlessly looking for trouble.See Kennedy’s America being as good as it ever got.

Carryfast:

Rjan:
[…]

You’ve contradicted yourself in saying on one hand it was the oil crisis which did it not Brit industrial strife and then on the other that it was Germany’s better industrial relations which was the over riding factor in the fortunes of the German economy not the oil crisis.Also don’t recognise your idea that their economy also wasn’t out performing ours bearing in mind it was Callaghan who had to go begging to the IMF not the Germans.

No I’m saying the reason why the Germans didn’t experience so much industrial ructions in the 70s was because they had better relations to start with. Workers in this country basically refused to pay a single penny of the increased oil cost, and flexed their muscle to make it so, which is why inflation took off, whereas I suspect in Germany the bosses were able to go to the unions and say “listen, costs have gone up for external reasons, we need to work together to absorb them”, and basically German workers sustained below-inflation pay rises for a few years because they trusted the bosses more.

With British bosses, workers had spent the entire 1960s walking out (or being locked out) at the drop of a hat (partly because there was already a culture amongst bosses of casual, at-will employment, which is why the Labour government introduced compulsory notice periods in the 1960s to try and clamp down on walkouts and lockouts), and Heath in the early 70s had already unnecessarily provoked both inflation and industrial trouble (which is what led to his “Who governs?” gambit).

Then you’ve said that Callaghan’s regime wasn’t Socialist.When I’ve posted a documented example of Heffer having to defend himself ( and by inference Benn and Shore ) that he wasn’t taking a Nationalist line ( when he/they clearly was/were taking a Nationalist line he/they just didn’t know it although I suspect Shore at least did ) against Callaghan’s and Jenkins’ correct statements that it was they who were taking the Socialist line.

But nobody disputes that the likes of Benn were amongst the most left-wing in the Labour party.

Which you’ve then confirmed yourself by going along with their bs policy of handing over British oil stocks to the Germans to help them to ride out the economic storm caused by the Arab oil embargo and resulting price escalation.

Well, to be more precise, the stocks were sold to the Germans at the excruciatingly high market prices of the time, rather than “handed over”. And the fact is that oil exports under Callaghan did decrease, but the point I’m making against you is a much larger one, that this idea of just turning off the taps to other nations (without even the pretense of trying to share based on some notion of fairness or industrial priority, whether politically determined or through the market mechanism) would be an appallingly badly judged policy - because you’d put nations like Germany (and others, like Japan) back in the situation they were pre-WW2, of saying that they have to launch outright wars to have any hope of getting access to the basic raw materials their economies and people need. Whatever basis upon which raw materials are shared, it cannot be on that basis, because it’s the purest possible motive for war, imperial expansion, and territorial struggles, in which your opponents have nothing possible to lose and everything to gain.

When the fact is that most of the guys in politics at the time had been on the fronts fighting precisely such a war for precisely such reasons, it’s easy to see why they weren’t going to go down that road.

While Brit workers were hit with wage cuts and job losses,ironically including massive transfer of jobs from Brit car plants to German ones in the case of Ford and GM.So who was actually shafting who in that grubby deal.While you’ve then got the nerve to say that if we’d have kept our own oil stocks to insulate our own economy,at the expense of the EU ( Germany ) then they would have hit us.Exactly how could they have hit us any further when we were already the ones being screwed into the ground by the whole deal. :unamused:

But we weren’t being screwed to the ground by the whole deal. Germany suffered the effects of the oil shortage too (although I don’t think they were directly embargoed), along with every other country in the world.

The reason Germany has an advantage in engineering is because it invests in it - in the skills and the machinery - while the British spent the 60s and 70s using clapped-out machinery and labour-intensive methods. For example, instead of investing in modern milling and boring machines for engines, they’d have a fella using a feeler gauge trying to match by hand the tolerances of a variety of pistons and blocks (whose dimensions were all over the place).

It’s no different today. We have the technology for automated warehouses - but the British prefer to hire legions of low-paid workers working long hours to do the work manually. And one day sooner than the British no doubt, Germany will be covered in automated warehouses that out-compete even the low-skill, lowest-paid workers of Britain, because their machines work for free 24 hours a day (once the initial capital investment is sunk), and they’ll have all the skill and experience (and high-pay jobs) in designing and building those machines.

And because they can then move and store physical goods cheaper in Germany (i.e. with less labour required), their products will be cheaper (as well as being higher quality), and they’ll also capture global market share from British bosses who squandered their years, and who took their billions out of the economy as higher immediate profits.

Since the 1980s, British bosses have been dropping their trousers and showing their @rses to the German bosses, bragging about easy profits in Britain, bragging about British “competitiveness”, whilst the Germans were ploughing their money into their own development and economic future. So-called “anglo-saxon capitalism” incenses the Germans and the French, because whilst they’re trying to do things responsibly, making their investments, retaining their profits, paying their taxes, they have us dropping wages and dropping taxes to undercut their economic models in the short-term. The British worker, of course, does not benefit, because the only jobs he gains are those with crap pay and squalid conditions consistent with this model, and it is the good jobs that he loses - but for the British boss, what does he care whether his profits are made from providing good jobs or poor jobs?

It’s why the Tories have got a shock when they thought they were going to leave the EU and force down wages, taxes, and regulations even further, and the French and Germans have made clear that it will be followed up by tariffs on access to their markets, and that they’re not going to give us a single inch of maneouver on the issue of standards if we want tariff-free access to the EU market.

Winseer:

It turns out that was the problem with capitalism, too. That it couldn’t go on spending the family silver and mortgaging the future, and the banks have eventually run out of other people’s money to spend.