Salary Vs Hourly...?

Im salaried but also paid per hour, get 1st pay in new job Friday 6 weeks without pay… going to pub getting ■■■■ faced (we dont work weekends) :stuck_out_tongue:

Excalibus:
Im salaried but also paid per hour, get 1st pay in new job Friday 6 weeks without pay… going to pub getting ■■■■ faced (we dont work weekends) :stuck_out_tongue:

Salaried but paid per hour■■? How does that work then■■?

Castillidie:

Excalibus:

Salaried but paid per hour■■? How does that work then■■?

Check his time of posting. … he got ■■■■■■■■ last night, classic.

Edit to correct auto correct :unamused:

Dozy…Solstor must have changed if he gets £150 for running in on a saturday…theyre all salaried, and want the maximum hours every week…the money used to be crap, and from what i can work out, its still crap…easy work…long hours, and crap money…still have some mates on there, so am up to date.

The firm I’m with pay a salary, 50 hours, Monday to Friday, but I occasionally but not too often do a 55 hour week, depends how busy I am and if I want to get further on during my day. Totally my choice and not pushed into doing so.
I did a Sunday run from Sussex to york as had a 7am drop and a busy week, but took the time back on the Friday.
Salary is good and does for me, we also get paid a quarterly commission according to profits made, ranging from £350-£850 on any given quarter.
Some of ours get less, you get out what you put in, so to speak.

My previous mob, started as hourly on 7.5t getting £7.02ph (circa 2005) boss paid for my class 2 and upped it to £8.02 on passing, o/t was time and 1/3 after 40hours, time and 1/2 Saturday and double bubble Sunday.
Recession saw us all moved to a payed a % of the job (25% for class 2 and above) some weeks were great - £850+ but others were poor - £350.

When the firm joined a pallet network I moved over to that side and was on £130 day.
£110 for delivering/collections, and £20 to load trucks in the morning and trunker in the afternoon/evening.
Most days were 6am to 6-7pm, sometimes later during busy periods.

I think overall I prefer salary, I know how much is going into my account each month, all though it does fluctuate a bit with night out money, but not massively.

What would people say a ‘good’ salary is, to the amount of hours worked…?

Would just like to know / rough idea of what a decent salaried job is (location dependant?)…

If I get asked / offered a salaried job, and it works out at a pittance without realising, what should I be looking for…?

Winseer:
It’s a bit annoying when salaried or hourly paid that more effort seems to be made by management to reduce “bunk time” than reduce “fuel waste” by going on wild-goose-chase runs, “fresh air” collections, or not hanging around an extra 10 minutes so you can run full up rather than leaving stuff behind for the “next” run etc.

I would have thought that “management priority” would be to maximize revenues & profits for the firm and make so-called efficiency savings at the expense of the staff very last of all… :unamused:

At our place, they can make more money running you back empty for another chemical run than trying to find a backload in the local area. I’ve run back from Turriff in Scotland, empty to Hartlepool for a reload of chemical product to take back to the yard in Lincolshire.

Radar19:

Winseer:
It’s a bit annoying when salaried or hourly paid that more effort seems to be made by management to reduce “bunk time” than reduce “fuel waste” by going on wild-goose-chase runs, “fresh air” collections, or not hanging around an extra 10 minutes so you can run full up rather than leaving stuff behind for the “next” run etc.

I would have thought that “management priority” would be to maximize revenues & profits for the firm and make so-called efficiency savings at the expense of the staff very last of all… :unamused:

At our place, they can make more money running you back empty for another chemical run than trying to find a backload in the local area. I’ve run back from Turriff in Scotland, empty to Hartlepool for a reload of chemical product to take back to the yard in Lincolshire.

We only load back about 5% of the time, same as you, make no money on a backload.

Radar19:

Winseer:

Your firm is far from the only one. If you have some decent lucrative contracts, it can be better just to concentrate on them rather than bugger about with backloads that can turn out to be a total PITA. I’ve seen it happen, planner thinks he has scored with a reload around the corner & next day when your running late for a job with one of your regular customers because you couldn’t get the poxy peanut-paying load tipped prompt, they are wondering why they bothered.