S.E London

Definitely Bob, I seem to remember he had a big J guy with a sleeper box fitted on the back of the cab and he had a driver who used to do Italy with it. His yard was a really tight back in as it was down the side of his house in samos road. Just a few more other outfits I used to work for… are pickfords who were based down Deptford high st. near the pilot pub, I spent 18 months with them great job, there used to be a good pie & mash café opposite, we used to get 2 types of removals dss and posh… Blackheath being the posh. Kent scaffolding which used to be based down my road , George lane, se13 another great job most of the jobs were based up the west end , I used to catch the 5’s on the pavement when the scaffold was being broken down, never be allowed now. done a bit for the scrappy who had a Volvo f10 down Norman road we used to pick up engines, gear boxes, diffs etc all for export. and Terry Gilloway down silwood st. he had a couple of arches just behind where myers yard used to be at Bolina rd used to run tippers.

Terry Gilloway there’s a blast from the past my dad used to drive a lhd daf 2800 low loader for him. He still had an arch in sill wood st up to about 10 years ago doing mots etc.

Royal Albert Dock 1949

IMG_NEW.jpg

London Docks 1961

peter supple:
hi johnny waite was my best friend,peter supple

Hi Pete,
Do you remember a little fella by the name of Bert at Beadles ? on the Enthoven lead job and timber out of R May out of Frensham St when the Canal was still there?

Re Johnny Waite, tall thin guy, from Peckham ■■?

catalanboy:
Another great thread, I passed my test with tate & lyle in silvertown in 1977 then worked for a load of south east London firms within a year to gain experience, including samos transport in penge {who gave me my first chance at driving an artic} good old seddon, flat bed trailor to load telegraph poles out of burt boltons in crabtree manor way Erith… I got covered in creosote as I did not have enough strength to throw the chains over the poles, and had to clamber over them to secure it with the toggles…what baptism of fire for my very first job. I lasted a few months then went on to nelsons transport, Greenwich { 1 day when I found out I was going back to burts for another load of poles}. Gains transport, Yeoman st. they taught me everything about roping and sheeting etc. old man gains used to come round my house and bring me into work when I failed to turn in on mon. morning…{on the lash the night before} how many hands on employers are there about now! But all the time I was waiting for my dream job to come up… BJ MYERS…containers and continental work all rolled up in one firm with smart motors to add… guess what I got an old dog Foden {that must have been their shunt motor} with gears I could not work out , range change on the dash with some sort of gate change on the floor,i never did graduate from that motor an all I seemed to do was hire skeles an go to Stratford L.I.F.T all local work… being only 21 and looking like 16 did not help my cause, but I soon learnt to toughen up in those hard and heady days in south London.

Theres a picture somewhere on here of a BJ Myers Foden on it’s side at Creek Rd Deptford, was,nt you was it :laughing:
Johnny Waites could drive one of them as if it was a 4 speed synchro, magic to see as a kiddy.

No I was still trying to work out the gears!!!

Stupot:

Heres a Picture of it off google maps.

Does Convoys Wharf still exist, We used to take paper in there

Only just seen this - great pub, the Pelton with good music ‘n’ all. In fact, I’m playing there next week :slight_smile:

Convoys wharf is shut there’s a planning application to turn it in to luxury apartments.
the peloton arms was the pub they used as the nags head in rock and chips the prequel to only fools and horses.

hi,i remember evan cooks queens road,i worked for wm beadle,i lived in ormside st opposite the regal cinima
in old kent road and johnny waite,was a very good friend,peter supple

peter supple:
hi,i remember evan cooks queens road,i worked for wm beadle,i lived in ormside st opposite the regal cinima
in old kent road and johnny waite,was a very good friend,peter supple

Is Waitsey still with us,
I worked with Johnny Waites when he worked for Tommy Tuck and Ron Sansom out of the arches in Gordon Rd and later Neate St.
I remember doing a job with him at Putney, about 2 o’clock in the morning. Loading some steel girders from the railway bridge being replaced, taking them back to Redpath Browns in Greenwich,
One of the trailer tyres was flat and the split rim was off, rang like a bell, all the way round the South Circular back to Greenwich, Happy Day’s.

mikey1:
I remember Evan Cook well. Their warehouse was knocked down a few years back, just blocks of flats there now I believe.
A few years prior to this they either merged or were bought out by a company called Constantine (from Scotland I think) these are still going for sure as I saw one of their trucks the other day.

i worked for Peter coles/Charlton garage services out of the back of mottingham rail station for 1.5yrs early 90’s in a6x2 renault GT 290 pulling for ferrymasters

adr:
London Docks 1961

I love these wonderfully atmospheric and nostalgic photos of times and scenes that will never occur again. There might not be any lorries in the shot but there’s still plenty there to enjoy.

Come on folks there must be moore.

does anyone remember ernie cook of dial (all roads} transport greenwich ? he was a driver for years and years then he went into the office with one of the owners , bill cresswell .

have gunns will travel ! lets chat about them , the good and the bad .

Gunns, good god they ran some crap in their time! I once picked up one of their trailers on the job site for the City Airport. The MOT was 7yrs out of date!

boyzee:
I did alot of traction for j b woodcock back in the early 70s when they were in tollgate road becton.They had scammel routmasters plus other units doing european work.One of there subbies was albert warren who had a few 110 scanias in woodcock coluors dark green with red chassis.Some of the trailers had bars around the wheels with locks on them so if they went unaccompanied they would,nt get the wheels nicked.When they finished european work they just did containers for ACE,They had quite a few bedford tm,s in v6 and v8 form then sed acks.

Boyzee
Here is pic of one of Albert Warren’s 110’s, when I drove it for Tony Bradfield who had bought it, we were doing work for Martintrux, motor was painted in their colors, I was on J B Woodcock with W M Woods for about two years doing France and Swiss, happy days

Ossie

Hello Dave .did they run Ford D1000.brown coloured cabs.Iam going back to the sixties.We used to do servicing at Winchester,BillCresswell would come down to pick up the drivers.We were called Hyde Abbey Motor Works,perhaps you can remember us long gone now .

Best Regards

Partsman