Running commentary of my quest to become an LGV driver

Peter Smythe:

anything below 80 is a fail, or is it 85…

5 sections. 15 out of 20 in each section with an overall of 80 out of 100.

I was also taught how to use the restraints (chain and tensioners), but no demonstration was on that from the Examiner, though from my Instructor.

Your instructor did right. The majority of Mod 4 tests include practical restraint demonstration. But some don’t.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thumbs up!

The practical LGV drivers test

I PASSED!!!
That was on the 16/09/2017.

The test went well, and no major fault, but two minors.
I knew one fault, but I didn’t realise when the other occurred, I actually thought it was for something else, but was wrong.

Anyways, I’m good to go!!! :slight_smile:

ONE LAST THING.
Digital tachograph card!!! No one said anything about it, but we need to BUY one from DVLA. It is different from the Driver CPC card and needs to be BOUGHT from DVLA for £32.

As I just found out, anyone can order one, once they have a driving license. So, if you’re reading through this post from start to finish and you have a car driving license, ORDER A DIGITAL TACHOGRAPH CARD NOW!!! DVLA says it takes up to 15 working days, however one guy on this forum said he got his 6 days after he posted it.

I ordered mine on Tuesday (19/09/2017) or Thursday (21/09/2017), and I got it today (26/09/2017). Pretty quick and this is a NEW card, but just updating the Driving License takes ages. Is it because we fork out all of £32 for the Driver Card and nothing for the Driving License, even though we paid to take the test? I don’t know……

My Driver CPC card came on Thursday (28/09/2017) and my Driver’s License came a day later, Friday (29/09/2017) just under 14 days after my test.

END OF UPDATES!!!

:smiley: :smiley:

I read on here somewhere a while ago that the tachograph card could be ordered at any time. Good info to have as it cuts down on waiting for stuff if ordered early.

Of course sad that I now have two cards in my wallet with the same God awful photo of me on them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

ROG:

:smiley: :smiley:

THANKS A LOT!!! :laughing: :laughing:

IronEddie:
I read on here somewhere a while ago that the tachograph card could be ordered at any time. Good info to have as it cuts down on waiting for stuff if ordered early.

Of course sad that I now have two cards in my wallet with the same God awful photo of me on them.

Yep! It can be ordered at anytime after you get your car license.
For that amount, they could have at least requested a new or another photo, instead of using the D/L one. So why that high?

That’s the cost of a new card. Once your card expires you’ll then need to pay the renewal fee which I think is £19 currently? But it lasts for five years so look at it as costing you £6ish each year or about 12p a week.

As for the photo everything is centralised now. They have one photo of you and use that on Licence, CPC and digicard.

toonsy:
That’s the cost of a new card. Once your card expires you’ll then need to pay the renewal fee which I think is £19 currently? But it lasts for five years so look at it as costing you £6ish each year or about 12p a week.

£19 over 5 years = £3.80 a year or 7.3p per week

Saved me from replying toonsy [emoji846].

I suppose when I applied for my provisional cat C I could have updated the picture. But it’d still be my ugly mug on all the cards. [emoji23]

ROG:

toonsy:

£19 over 5 years = £3.80 a year or 7.3p per week

Yeah I meant the first card.