roping and sheeting

Spardo:

5thwheel:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I also spot the centrally positioned sun visor support,not noticed one on previous visored 88’s.

David

Is it also supporting the screen guard too? Made me laugh at first when I was there, I was taught when approaching oncoming vehicles to place all 4 fingers and thumb spread out on the screen, the theory being that it is vibration which breaks it and a hand spread stops that.

Do you still do that in Oz, those of you there? And do you think it works, or is it an old truckie’s tale? :smiley:

No, but I remember the theory/action. There was also a device, resembling a large heavy duty suction cap, with a brass stud projecting from the rear, placed in the centre of the windscreen. A thin, taut wire ran from the stud to the vehicle frame, at each corner of the windscreen. It was equally ineffective at preventing glass breakage. :laughing:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

5thwheel:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

I also spot the centrally positioned sun visor support,not noticed one on previous visored 88’s.

David

Is it also supporting the screen guard too? Made me laugh at first when I was there, I was taught when approaching oncoming vehicles to place all 4 fingers and thumb spread out on the screen, the theory being that it is vibration which breaks it and a hand spread stops that.

Do you still do that in Oz, those of you there? And do you think it works, or is it an old truckie’s tale? :smiley:

No, but I remember the theory/action. There was also a device, resembling a large heavy duty suction cap, with a brass stud projecting from the rear, placed in the centre of the windscreen. A thin, taut wire ran from the stud to the vehicle frame, at each corner of the windscreen. It was equally ineffective at preventing glass breakage. :laughing:

Never heard of that one, sounds a bit like a spike to put you out of your misery after a head on collision. :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer

Buzzer

407425102_734719825190894_5793523479342247988_n.jpg

Buzzer

Buzzer

410979508_6995575740519212_5699909528821465653_n.jpg

Buzzer

One for you Dennis

img_1_1703074999644.jpg

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

SNAP !

The original “A” team from back in the day :wink: The Master and the Apprentice :smiley: Eric and me became life long Pals for over forty years until Eric sadly passed away. But what a top man at his craft he was taught me much of what I carried with me over the years at Bewick Transport and as a Driver he was second to none he could put the trailer anywhere without having to put it on the "nose"it had to be seen to be believed and his immaculate sheeting and roping always 100% ! 99:9 % wouldn’t do for my mate as I used to be told now and again :blush: Cheers Dennis.

ramone:
One for you Dennis

Ray created a good replica of JEO 192 the original 680 Power Plus Octopus. Not sure what happened to it as he sold it eventually . Cheers Dennis

Bewick:
as a Driver he was second to none he could put the trailer anywhere without having to put it on the "nose"it had to be seen to be believed

When I converted my small Toray fleet from rigids and artics to drawbars I insisted that no-one was to use the nose on pain of grisly death. They must learn from the off. No names, no pack drill, but some took to it like ducks to water and at least one initially fell by the wayside, abandonning his trailer at Hyde.

The advent of the first 3 sadly coincided with my holiday so I gave the strict instructions to my deputy and sent each of them to a fellow manager friend who operated night trunks to London. He undertook to send one of my blokes with a competant driver for several nights. When I returned I asked my deputy how things had gone. ‘Fine’ she said ‘with P and B but J got in a pickle and his trailer is still parked at destination’. Talking to my friend later he sorrowfully admitted that one of his drivers habitually nosed it in in London. No prizes for guessing which of my drivers went with him. :unamused:

I undertook to train J myself and eventually he improved enough to be trusted, but he was never at ease with the concept until the day he retired. BTW the other 2 became real experts and one of them, known to Gasza’s Dad, faced with an option, often would choose to reverse in blindside. :astonished: But that is just showing off, not something the rest of us would do, would we? :laughing: :laughing:

To get back to Bewick’s mentor, I have huge respect for the earlier practitioners of the draggist’s art, as I suspect that he had no power steering. I learnt without that benefit too but was mightily glad to have the intricate adjustments often required, made easier with assistance later.

Spardo:

Bewick:
as a Driver he was second to none he could put the trailer anywhere without having to put it on the "nose"it had to be seen to be believed

When I converted my small Toray fleet from rigids and artics to drawbars I insisted that no-one was to use the nose on pain of grisly death. They must learn from the off. No names, no pack drill, but some took to it like ducks to water and at least one initially fell by the wayside, abandonning his trailer at Hyde.

The advent of the first 3 sadly coincided with my holiday so I gave the strict instructions to my deputy and sent each of them to a fellow manager friend who operated night trunks to London. He undertook to send one of my blokes with a competant driver for several nights. When I returned I asked my deputy how things had gone. ‘Fine’ she said ‘with P and B but J got in a pickle and his trailer is still parked at destination’. Talking to my friend later he sorrowfully admitted that one of his drivers habitually nosed it in in London. No prizes for guessing which of my drivers went with him. :unamused:

I undertook to train J myself and eventually he improved enough to be trusted, but he was never at ease with the concept until the day he retired. BTW the other 2 became real experts and one of them, known to Gasza’s Dad, faced with an option, often would choose to reverse in blindside. :astonished: But that is just showing off, not something the rest of us would do, would we? :laughing: :laughing:

To get back to Bewick’s mentor, I have huge respect for the earlier practitioners of the draggist’s art, as I suspect that he had no power steering. I learnt without that benefit too but was mightily glad to have the intricate adjustments often required, made easier with assistance later.

With all due respect most of the mills around Bradford and surrounding areas were designed for horse n carts and nosing in was the only option

Buzzer

Bewick:

ramone:
One for you Dennis

Ray created a good replica of JEO 192 the original 680 Power Plus Octopus. Not sure what happened to it as he sold it eventually . Cheers Dennis

The Octopus was shod on Dunlop RB 6 900x20 tyres and actually had almost “finger tip” power steering !

Late 1976 shot of a new Crane Fruehauf 40 ft trailer one of an order for twelve I had bought. Loaded with twenty tons of Libby tinned rice and milk out of the factory next door.

ramone:

Spardo:

Bewick:

With all due respect most of the mills around Bradford and surrounding areas were designed for horse n carts and nosing in was the only option

I wasn’t simply a purist in my dislike of nosing in, to me it was a distinct disadvantage because, unlike with reversing, unless you had an empty flat trailer, you couldn’t see down both sides.

my first attempt at this fine art! my 111 with a load of chipboard out of KRONASPAN at chirk. circa 1988

straps!