BORDER MAJOR

10527266_774417509246799_7851752684134135573_n.jpg

BORDER HUNTER

CX00218.jpg

BORDER PAGEANT

BORDER ROVER

BORDER HUNTER

Hi.
I had the pleasure of driving for Robsons,out of the Southampton depot,drove Border Viking for a time,i moved to a Scania,the Viking went on to become the shunter on the docks and in Martini.
The Scania did not have a name,just Robsons on the cab and the dreaded “NYK” on the door,got a picture of it somewhere,don’t hold your breath,i am moving at the moment and appearing about the area in any combination of three pairs of blue overall bottoms,seven assorted coloured tops,a pair of wellies,pair of leaky boots,one pair,“Donkey buyers and Pig breeder boots”(Best !).one posh coat… I do not DO social functions until i can find the box with the rest of my,“Walking out gear”.
Tom Wilson and his wife Celia ran the yard,Andrew and a lovely girl,“Legs La Belle” clerked. Drivers i remember,Trevor Lenden,Millsy,Brooksbank IOW. Mick studley? Jason and his mate(Big lad),“Eddie” the Eagle… “Knuttsie”… ex Norse pillage,■■■■ and plunder merchant !! Mike Lithever? “The Italian Stallion LOL” from Harlow. We were on the docks waiting for a couple of boxes,went up to Van Omerons office to see if they had been cleared,the lady who we saw,had just had hjer hair done and looked very nice,Mick says “Your hair looks nice”. she replied,“Thank you”,mick then said,“Have you come on a motor bike ?” We waited ANOTHER HOUR !!!I hope the rest of the lads there who i have not named will forgive me,i can see their faces,hear their voices,but the grey matter needs a service.
Lorries Knuttsie drove Border Siloth Eddies is on the front of him and his lorry… MISSING!!!,with me Kecks !!in a Pickfords removal box somewhere i drove Border Viking,i think it came down from Scotland,it was good for 70 +,Brooky Brooksbank was a nightman,if it was in the yard he would pinch it for his run as it was quick enough to do his trunk and get him back to catch the early ferry back to IOW.
A bloke called,Fox ? came down ,asked some silly questions,told us all about a new pay structure and how you would get an extra days holiday after ten years… NOBODY was going to get the second extra day for twenty years,we were all “Ower’till” THEN !!.
It folded,i think the Scanny went to Wellsbourne.
Someone asked about other depots,i went into Flit-Wick… the lady in the office would get very angry and say FLITWICK!!,Castleford,Harlow,St Helens,Carlisle,Wellsbourne.NYK had bought Atkins of Findern,Thompson &Jewitt Sutton in Ashfield Notts,Hudsons of Pudsey Leeds plus Robsons,so went in for fuel and bits,secure night parking etc to many of these .
Would i go back ? Border Viking,the lads and "Legs La Belle ?.. To bloody right i would.
Stay well,stay lucky.
Hulltramper

Hi Hultramper, here,s BORDER VIKING.

Hi Daibootsie.
Thank you for this,however, not wishing to be picky,but if i remember rightly,i think the Reg was something like KOA ? 113 ? or a mix of similar numbers letters ? i was lead to believe it earned it’s corn up Scotland where some Scottish Diesel Dr. wove a spell around the fuel pump !! Is this a picture of an earlier Viking ? It certainly wasn’t a later one LOL!!
Could be the brain cells ****** up LOL.
Remembered two more names,Nobby Stratton/Statton ? and Martin ?. Martins world revolved around “Widnes Truckstop” at this time,and him being based at Southampton ?..
Would appreciate any help,resolving the case of the “Vikings number”. When i find the photo of the Scanny i can place the time better i am sure that was only about 6/12 months old,and was serviced at the Scanny agents near Pompey,not St,Helens depot,as were the DAF’s.
Thanks again for your posting,still a fine looking lorry,can you imagine getting it new ? and spotting yourself in a big shop window,cab all new and shiny,and the load immaculately roped and sheeted ? POSERS !!! LOL
Stay well,stay lucky.
hulltramper :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi.
The Viking i drove was about 20+ years ago,the brain cells kicked in,the g/son is in the cab photo with “Eddie” in the Eagles motor when he was about 4yrs,he is 24 now. Three more lads,Ken Brown (From Netley Zoo LOL) and a father,son/step son? combo who shunted,second manned whenever needed,like the rest,good lads.
Thinking about the Viking…2800 ATI…
Middle Peak quarry,Wirksworth,one sat. morning,gang of us cabbed up waiting to load off stock… Barry “B” pulls in ,in his BRAND NEW (ENVY!ENVY!) DAF 3300,you could have heard a pin drop,all resplendent in Dunn’s Blue paint job. “Wad” and myself in “Sinners” F10’s looked on in awe… Wad on the CB,“Thats a nice looking wagon Barry”,Barry,“Thanks,it is nice”. Wad,“Do you know what the ATI means on the front ?” “No” says Barry… Wait for it… Contain yourselves… “A T**t Inside”
When laughter finished,including Barry himself,we all fell on it,giving it the once over,nice ? it was bloody SUPER !!! Last i heard of Barry,he was pulling for Longcliffe Quarries,Wad was self employed fitting…HAPPY DAYS
hulltramper