Rescue and recovery drivers?

Ha well I didn’t want to mention it incase I failed

Thanks

Hi guys, without wanting to take over this thread, I wondered if I could ask for some advice.

I successfully passed the MOD 4(100%) today and am now wanting to get into recovery work. I don’t have much mechanical experience and if truth be told, I’m not that interested in fixing vehicles, I just want to drive them about. BUT I am willing to learn if the need is there.

I’ve been to Macadams(Morecambe) and to FMC(Forton) and have been told to try Hough Green Garage(Preston). Does anyone have any an idea of any other recovery firms in the Northwest area, within about 25mile(max) radius of Lancaster.

OR maybe there are some firms that transport vehicles…Any help would be appreciated…

Thanks guys.

Danielthegreat:
Hi guys, without wanting to take over this thread, I wondered if I could ask for some advice.

I successfully passed the MOD 4(100%) today and am now wanting to get into recovery work. I don’t have much mechanical experience and if truth be told, I’m not that interested in fixing vehicles, I just want to drive them about. BUT I am willing to learn if the need is there.

I’ve been to Macadams(Morecambe) and to FMC(Forton) and have been told to try Hough Green Garage(Preston). Does anyone have any an idea of any other recovery firms in the Northwest area, within about 25mile(max) radius of Lancaster.

OR maybe there are some firms that transport vehicles…Any help would be appreciated…

Thanks guys.

I doubt that you would survive more than a few days on recovery. the job requires a keen initiative & you need to have your wits within easy reach at all times.

You, seem to be asking the internets where your nearest recovery firms are !

Wrong. I’ve visited some of the closer firms and have been in touch with a handful of national companies. What I’m asking for is some insider information that other people might have gained from experience which I don’t yet have!

I don’t want things handed on a plate, just a little help.

To be fair bud you have to be keen to fix cars as it affects the companys pi’s.i dont know any companys where you just drive in recovery.i would not think a “if i have to” mind set would see you enjoying the job there for long

Lots of recovery firms employ folk to just drive. Load casualty vehicle drive to garage or clients home.

It’s only bugger firms that have “patrol” type vehicles down this way

I drive for 2 months at a nationwide firm and I never picked up a tool :slight_smile: all I did was lift and shift if a customer was expecting a roadside mechanic I simply told them that’s not part of my job description and I’d arrange for a roadsider to come to the location I enjoyed the work when it came in but 12ht shifts with 1 or 2 jobs all shift was BORING as hell and working local you won’t get any time on a tacho to learn your hours :slight_smile: happy to answer any question you’ve got!!

Danielthegreat:

and am now wanting to get into recovery work. I don’t have much mechanical experience and if truth be told, I’m not that interested in fixing vehicles, I just want to drive them about. BUT I am willing to learn if the need is there.

First be aware that recovery work is probably not like you expect it to be, whatever that is. It is a ‘Marmite’ job, you either love it or hate it.

The hours are long and unsociable, the wages are generally pretty poor and you will get cold/wet/tired/hot/bored/frustrated/etc. No-one in their right mind would lo0gically choose such a job.

But…
Most of the time you will succeed by your own initiative.
You will overcome challenges that leave you feeling pleased with yourself.
Most of your ‘customers’ are very pleased to see you.
You will get a certain amount of respect from other HGV drivers (who have more sense than wanting to work in the live carriageway of a motorway).

Also:
You will drink a lot of coffee to stay awake.
You will get through a lot of wet-wipes.
You will be the most visible person out at night.
You will quickly become very good at reversing.
You will get the chance to block a lot of residential streets.
You will spend a fair amount of time looking for drivers who don’t know where they are themselves.
You will get a few quid in tips - don’t forget to declare it. :slight_smile:
You will get the odd passenger you can have a good laugh with.
You will NEVER have to listen to RDC drivers-room crap.

A lot of new drivers drop-out pretty quickly (perhaps they don’t like Marmite). Usually before they know what the job is really about. The first few weeks are the hardest, until you get to ‘know the ropes’ a bit.
Your job will only be as good as your depot manager. If he/she cares about the drivers it will be much better.

If you do get into this work, my advice is: ‘don’t burn yourself out’ You can only stay in recovery work if you pace yourself. Personally, I don’t give a moments thought to how quickly I can get to a customer or do a recovery. I am there to do the job, not kill myself trying.

If you are sure you want all the above, go for it. If you are doubtful about any of the above, it probably isn’t for you.

I work for Hough green stafford

I love it to be honest best ever job I had. Yes you will be working Christmas, bank holidays etc but it’s a very easy job I think… Maybe because I’m experienced in it or because I enjoy it and not realising the challenge haha.