Reasonable Level of Support?

Vid:
Some interesting conclusion jumping in a few of the replies.

‘How are you?’ - nah, didn’t happen.
‘How’s the trailer/ load?’ - ‘on fire!’

Did I want/ need a manager present? - not really, watching the firemen trying to get the fire under control for 2-3 hours was interesting, really didn’t need any company.

Did I expect a manager to be present ASAP? - yes, the previous 2 managers would have been there as soon as possible to liaise and coordinate with the fire service rather than have me as a go between, I’m a driver, not a bloody PA/ secretary.

Due to being household waste (including trade waste and fly tip) in a walking floor trailer the firemen were unable to completely put out the fire, they needed to get it doused enough for me to be able to hook up and move it somewhere to tip it off to finish soaking it. No issue for me but the fire chief wanted someone else to make the call (take responsibility) as to whether it was safe enough to hook up, move a still burning trailer and where to take it to tip.

It went to the obvious place (where I was loaded) to tip and drop the trailer for a wrecker to pick up in a day or two. The site manger there couldn’t be bothered to be there either, no supervisor present. All straightforward as it went, but these people are being paid a lot more than I am to take responsibility, they SHOULD be there in my book.

I think you would be quite dissapointed what the guys in the office get paid, even the top ones arent on massive money, many drivers will be earning more than the managers.

Interesting take on things here.

Where i work if something drastic went down, a senior manager, the TM himself or above will be there asap whatever time of day or night it happens, because they take their responsibility seriously and it’s their decision when liaising, ie recovery old bill etc what’s to be done and a timescale, they ultimately are responsible for mitigating costs and making sure the end customer is as affected as little as possible.
Being there on site they have that all important on scene take of what the cause was, and what could be done to prevent a repeat.

They ain’t being paid peanuts, and take their jobs seriously.
No they wouldn’t turn up for a minor scrape on a roundabout, but however minor an incident they will be looking at the camera footage to see what went down.

Juddian:
Interesting take on things here.

Where i work if something drastic went down, a senior manager, the TM himself or above will be there asap whatever time of day or night it happens, because they take their responsibility seriously and it’s their decision when liaising, ie recovery old bill etc what’s to be done and a timescale, they ultimately are responsible for mitigating costs and making sure the end customer is as affected as little as possible.
Being there on site they have that all important on scene take of what the cause was, and what could be done to prevent a repeat.

They ain’t being paid peanuts, and take their jobs seriously.
No they wouldn’t turn up for a minor scrape on a roundabout, but however minor an incident they will be looking at the camera footage to see what went down.

As Juddian says, it depends on the incident - a trailer fire is a bit 50/50 to me. I’d be no use, potentially in the way actually and if I ascertain that the driver is OK, the fire service has put the fire out, then there isn’t much point. Be a LOT different if it was loaded with a load of explosives, then I’d have been there like a shot and I’d know in which direction to stand!

Whilst I was ‘gaffering’ I regularly attended incidents including fatals, mainly for driver protection but it could help in terms of decision making if the decision maker is there although often it’s a case of letting the emergency services do their thing then that’s where I became useful.