Ratchet strap winding handle

Reef:
Anybody use this system or was it just an idea that flopped?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKiwZAPWPU

Looks like we have UKTramp on the left (19 seconds in) :laughing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=144JbZPWuCQ

btw driver on left is smarter because he also got a 15min break in too

Weā€™ve got a few of them, just pull the strap along hook on, ratchet eā€™m up.

Downsides, the rubber hangers will eventually brake, and the rails that supports the whole thing are a bit flimsy.

The moose:

UKtramp:

Reef:
On the RHA page for the handheld winder it saysā€¦

Ratchet Straps take at least 2 minutes for an experienced driver to roll by hand

What a load of bollux, I donā€™t think itā€™s ever taken me two minutes to roll up a strap, I bet i could do at least three in two minutes, not as fast as a winder granted but two minutes per strap? Nah, donā€™t think so.

about 10 seconds with a winder and no RSI, just need like a harpoon gun now to throw the straps over the load, I have a permanent strained right shoulder muscle through throwing them high and far.

A ratchet strap harpoon gunā€¦ now your onto something! That Iā€™d pay money for. I canā€™t begin to contemplate how many times Iā€™ve sworn at failing to thrown a strap clear of the load. Im just a self confessed lazy bugger avoiding climbing onto the trailerā€¦

Similar already existsā€¦ But its seen in the tree surgery industryā€¦

Itā€™s an air powered gun, used to fire lead roles into / through trees to pull climbing ropes upā€¦

Maybe look on YouTube for an example?

Could one be adapted for straps?

Goldfinger:
Similar already existsā€¦ But its seen in the tree surgery industryā€¦
Itā€™s an air powered gun, used to fire lead roles into / through trees to pull climbing ropes upā€¦
Maybe look on YouTube for an example?
Could one be adapted for straps?

If it can be I will certainly be doing it!

I am paid by the hour, so why would I want to roll 13 straps quickly?

SWEDISH BLUE:

Because its easier than by hand!! I wouldnā€™t want a job rolling up straps by hand at any cost. Once they are rolled up get your kettle on with the time you have saved.

Anyone who finds itā€™s needed to have one of theae things is obviously afraid of cracking their nicely manicured an varnished nails !! ffs its a bloody rachet strap not an invite to an Ann Summers party you tarts !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Does Anne Summers do strap winders?

raymundo:
Anyone who finds itā€™s needed to have one of theae things is obviously afraid of cracking their nicely manicured an varnished nails !! ffs its a bloody rachet strap not an invite to an Ann Summers party you tarts !!! :laughing: :laughing:

So how many straps a day do you roll by hand??I do a lot ,love my strap winder.

I would be embarassed to use a winding device.

It takes 5 mins to roll up a dozen straps while the forklift guy starts to tip the load.

toby1234abc:
I would advise anybody that winds up straps by hand , to buy one, i got mine for about a tenner at Lymm truckstop, it takes seconds to wind them up, well as before, you get pain and wear and tear in your wrist ,or use internet shopping to have one delivered by parcel .

The current design sold at Lymm: CB Shackā€¦ are poor quality. A few months ago the design was changed from a two steel pin centre secured with a circlip to a plastic centre rotating in a plastic housing/handle. Unfortunately the plastic rotating on plastic causes it to wear out quickly - then the winder just falls out. Basically theyā€™re no longer worth the money. Previous design was much better.

We do strapping every day, so having a good strap winder saves a lot of time and does a better job than by hand.

Weā€™re currently testing the type pictured by UKTā€¦ too early to report.

I would recommend ā€˜hand heldā€™ they allow you to move around the load, particularly important when itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  it down - saves dragging straps across ā– ā– ā– ā–  wet through floor / mud.

Avoid magnetic onesā€¦ theyā€™re crap.

UKtramp:

SWEDISH BLUE:

Because its easier than by hand!! I wouldnā€™t want a job rolling up straps by hand at any cost. Once they are rolled up get your kettle on with the time you have saved.

Heā€™s a bull**** anyone whoā€™s stood in the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  down on a windy day hand winding straps would never ask such a bone question. End of!

Error - double post

foresttrucker:

It takes 5 mins to roll up a dozen straps while the forklift guy starts to tip the load.

Funny that because I would be embarrassed not to own one. In the rain and snow is where their greatest strength lye.

Iā€™ve had various strapwinders over the last 3 years, including the 2 different hand held styles from Lymm, but the one I have now is the one you use with a cordless drill, fantastic piece of kit, saves me a lot of pain with my arthritic wrists.

foresttrucker:

Strange what some people get embarrassed over, perhaps itā€™s the delicate age we live in, I mean I would definitely be embarrassed if my company uniform policy involved having to wear miniskirts or hotpants, but I certainly donā€™t think embarrassment would be a factor when it comes down to work tools and equipment though, maybe its more about a lack of self confidence than usage of certain tools or equipment.

Iā€™d definitely use a strap winder and then when done sit in the nice and warm dry cab and make a brew whilst watching the bloke next to me still rolling his soaking straps that have now soaked his gloves, thinking to myself ā€œok he doesnā€™t look embarrassed but he sure looks ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  offā€, cheers. :laughing:

scottie0011:
Iā€™ve had various strapwinders over the last 3 years, including the 2 different hand held styles from Lymm, but the one I have now is the one you use with a cordless drill, fantastic piece of kit, saves me a lot of pain with my arthritic wrists.

Iā€™ve seen a few people using these and they seem to work okā€¦ used with what looks like a converted frisby.

The things that put me off them is: 1, you need to carry a cordless electric drill and 2, the drill could lose itā€™s power and 3, Iā€™m happy to re-fund these purchases made by my drivers - but only if the kit still works when they go on leave etc.

Space being a premium in all trucksā€¦ hand held and manual still comes out tops for meā€¦ keep it simple :bulb: :bulb:

I still prefer to feel the strap through my fingers whiles coiling to check for any imperfections or cuts along with a quick visual inspection whilst Iā€™m untangleing the mess on the floor in front of me.

Special place in hell has to be reserved for the planks who manually wind straps up the wrong way, leaving the hook in the middle.

rob22888:
Special place in hell has to be reserved for the planks who manually wind straps up the wrong way, leaving the hook in the middle.

Followed fairly closely by those who fold it in half before winding it, and a spot in nitpicking hell :laughing: for those who roll them with the ā€œoutsideā€ of the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  the ā€œoutsideā€ of the roll.