Ralph Davies retiring

Hi all does any one remember Colin he worked for Ralph Davies years ago i first new him when i worked for james and hodder years ago out of avonmouth and met him several times after finishing with James and hodder when i had my own truck running to Spain .
i am retired now and on a pension for i am now 68 years old and miss my driving to Spain just happy memories now and when i worked for james and hodder i had a nick name and that was rabbit regards stewart

IIRC the police descended upon RD’s Cheltenham office all guns blazing, convinced that he was running bent.

The stripped the computer systems out of his office (he was one of the first to track trailers (not just position, but also temperature, door opening etc,) which was insisted on by his client (IBM) which was installing mainframe computers to build banking systems in the former Soviet republics.

Evidence?..they found very little. Some trucks had been parked near, but not at, his yard, so the drivers could take a shorter weekend rest. And some drivers unexpectedly weekended in Spain had bobtailed tractor units to the nearest village to go shopping/find somewhere to park that wasn’t outside a packhouse in the blazing sun.

Nevertheless, he was prosecuted. To the visible rage of the police, he was found not guilty.

The case caused him huge problems, because he was dependent upon the computer systems to track the very high value cargoes across some of the most remote areas in the world.

He said to me after the case that he had no idea why he had been picked on.

Working for RD in those days wasn’t a job that would have suited everyone…but if you wanted an adventure and to see the world, practice foreign languages, and didn’t have a home/family to go to, it was a great job for some. Not if you wanted to get home in time for Eastenders, though.

Bit like the fun I had working for Murfitts in Europe.
Sapper

sapper:
Sapper

I can equate with that … lol

sapper:
Sapper

I can equate with that … lol